Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Comment accepted in Waterway Guide
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

britinusa
Web Editor

Member Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Initially Posted - 03/20/2015 :  06:32:53  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Still pushing to get the word out about the State Senate Bill 1548, I submitted a comment to an article in the Waterway Guide

Read it here

And please promote this in your local area. Your State may be next!

Paul

Joint Decision. (Sold)
PO C250WB 2005 Sail # 841.

Moved up to C34 Eximius

Updated August 2015

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 03/22/2015 :  08:20:21  Show Profile
Paul - you're a great inspiration. Here's my post to the site:

"Comment submitted by Voyager Bruce Ross - Sun, Mar 22nd

I'm a CT sailor who until now loved to charter a sailboat for a week with my family in Florida each year. We have found over the years a list of great sailing grounds and anchorages that now seem in great jeopardy due to this legislation. The uncertainty whether it will soon be illegal to anchor in these areas creates a great deal of apprehension for my family and I. I don't think I'll come back to Florida again. Add to that, many of my fellow CT, NY, RI and NJ boating friends on social media are wondering whether to vacation elsewhere next year? SC, GA, NC and CA don't impose these kinds of paranoid regulations on vacationers so I'll advise them to skip Florida next year.
Bruce in CT"

Just warning them ...

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 03/22/2015 :  08:24:27  Show Profile
One more thing... I also noted that my comments had to be reviewed and approved before they will be posted. These are the same people who are prohibited from using the terms "climate change" and "global warming" in their official publications???? The Ministry of Truth may likewise censor my note.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 03/22/2015 :  09:04:48  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Voyager

...These are the same people who are prohibited from using the terms "climate change" and "global warming" in their official publications????
...or any communications, according to state employees.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 03/22/2015 :  13:24:44  Show Profile
Bruce, you forgot to mention your exuberant vacation dollars that you spend in Fla. while you are there...Got to hit them where it hurts.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 03/22/2015 :  17:26:40  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Individually we do not make a great impression, but collectively we do.

Posting on our site also gets the word out. Our site is very highly ranked in Google.

so make a point of including the talking points in your posts here (and elsewhere)

Will Strictly Sail Miami 2016 be cancelled due to the State Senate Bill 1548?

How will Florida State Senate Bill 1548 affect the Fort Lauderdale Boat show in 2016?

Will the anchoring limitations imposed if Florida State Senate Bill 1548 becomes law impact your decision to bring your boat to Florida?

Paul

Joint Decision. (Sold)

Moved up to C34 Eximius

Updated August 2015
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 03/22/2015 :  20:33:11  Show Profile
Scott
While I did not mention money, I think it doesn't take a brain surgeon to put 2 + 2 together to get 5.

Meaning that if I'm traveling with a family, renting a boat, outfitting for a week, going to restaurants, flying in and out, renting a car, buying supplies and generally hanging out in FLA, I've gotta be spending like $7-8,000. And I also am influencing many of my friends on social media to NOT go to Florida for their boating vacations. Say that's 10 x $8000. That's gotta hurt the economy somehow!

But maybe, yes, you're right - I do have to spell it out for them.

OK - I'm not going to vacation in Florida with my boat and I'm not going to spend $8000 there.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 03/26/2015 :  20:17:01  Show Profile
The comment from Marathon Key in Paul's other post points out that they get it alright. If nobody can anchor in Marathon Key, they won't come into town and eat in the restaurants. Boaters will all continue onto Key West so Marathon will lose out.

Edit: I don't think it will stop boaters going to Florida or using FL waters but what it will do is create big winners and big losers - but alas, that's what unbridled Darwinism creates. As they say, it's that old Golden Rule: them's that got the gold makes the rules.

Bruce Ross

Edited by - Voyager on 03/29/2015 19:38:21
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 03/31/2015 :  16:30:39  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
I was just notified that the bill had passed 8 to 0 in the first flirtation;

Not looking good!

http://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2015/1548

I guess we didn't shout out enough

Paul

Joint Decision. (Sold)

Moved up to C34 Eximius

Updated August 2015
Go to Top of Page

TCurran
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
588 Posts

Response Posted - 03/31/2015 :  18:40:32  Show Profile
Just sent my second email to my State Senator... who voted for this bill today. Didn't hear from him the first time, doubt I'll hear from him this time. He won't have my vote next time when he needs it.

Tom Curran
1981 Capri 25 Hull #101 "Dirty Debbie"
1988 Watkins 30
PAFB, FL
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page