Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 New 3 gal Tank install for 4 stroke
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 04/01/2015 :  09:19:33  Show Profile
No, E-Tech is 2-stroke, made by Fridgidaire.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 04/01/2015 :  10:05:14  Show Profile
<< Fridgidaire >>

I like that!

I'd go with:

But then I'd get to meet all the law enforcement officers on our lake...

I think I'll go with:

Ray in Atlanta, Ga.
"Lee Key" '84 Catalina 25
Standard Rig / Fin Keel

Edited by - redeye on 04/01/2015 10:16:10
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 04/01/2015 :  11:08:44  Show Profile
Now your talking Ray, My favorite brand...
The company markets Whirlpool, Maytag, KitchenAid, Jenn-Air, Amana, Gladiator GarageWorks, Inglis, Estate, Brastemp, Bauknecht and Consul. After acquiring the Maytag Corporation on March 31, 2006, the Whirlpool Corporation surpassed Electrolux to become "the largest home appliance maker in the world."

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 04/01/2015 :  12:39:42  Show Profile
...and wrecked the Maytag brand.

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 04/01/2015 :  13:25:50  Show Profile
quote:
.and wrecked the Maytag brand.

You think so? I don't know if they wreck it or saved it. I had a Maytag dishwasher that was involved in a recall then a class action lawsuit Seems the heating element switch in the panel would without warning short out and burn your kitchen down. Caused Maytag many lawsuits. I disconnected the switch and ran it that way until it died. Sure glad to see it go. Replaced it with a Whirlpool. Also have a Whirlpool fridge, stove and washing machine bought in 1991, Still running without any repairs. Call it luck maybe. Especially the fridge. They run 24/7. In all fairness though every brand has its problem child. Still interested in how that 6hp George Foreman motor works out

Edited by - islander on 04/01/2015 13:53:28
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 04/01/2015 :  20:59:24  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by islander

quote:
.and wrecked the Maytag brand.

You think so? I don't know if they wreck it or saved it...
Well, that subject is for a different forum. I'll just say whoever is to blame, Maytag used to be built to an entirely different standard than everything else then or now. Their repair people, as advertised, literally had nothing to do! Now Maytag is somewhere in a mysterious hierarchy of "quality" (meaning gizmos and price) among various brands coming out of some Asian mega-factory.

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 04/02/2015 :  17:16:51  Show Profile
Several hijacks ago there was some discussion about the fuel line connector to the engine... Now I took a real good close up look at the connector and it looks quite similar to the conventional Honda fuel line connector, except that it fits a "Whirlpool-Margaritaville - Bombardier - Tohatsu - Evinrude" engine! Whatever.
The fitting doesn't strike me as being any more airtight than mine, which is reasonably airtight, given its use in a vented, suction-based system.
Now Ray, this is where you said it leaks gas into the lake when you tilt the engine (and the fitting). Maybe this fitting is designed for the engine receptacle assuming a vented system - rather than being designed to work with a non-vented tank and fuel line.
Could it be that the Evinrude was simply not designed to accomodate a non-vented fuel system? Any way to check with your local dealer or with the manufacturer's rep?
Another question on this - assuming the unvented system builds up pressure when the tank expands due to heating. How much pressure do you think we're talking about here?
In the far-distant past, several manufacturers adopted pressurized, non-vented, two-line systems where the engine pressurized the tank through one line which drove the gas from the tank up the other line to the carburetor. These operated at 2-3 psi.
I'm assuming that the new non-vented systems can develop 10-15 psi or more - but that's only a guess. That's a LOT more pressure than my Honda requires to suck the gas into the carb.
A quick scan of the net and blogs does not immediately provide that much info about the new tanks.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

Edited by - Voyager on 04/02/2015 17:23:08
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 04/03/2015 :  05:15:41  Show Profile
<< Now Ray, this is where you said it leaks gas into the lake when you tilt the engine (and the fitting). >>

I tilted the engine up, turned it on the side ( correct side down ) and went to home depo. It was a cool day, no additional heat to the tank to speak of.. When I returned about 30 minutes later and stepped on the boat there was a circular gas slick on the water surrounding the engine and I could see gas dripping actively. It was as if it had just happened as I stepped on the boat. The new heavy duty fuel line was pulling the fitting at an angle and it appeared as if my rocking of the boat was just enough to cause the fitting to pull down at an angle and leak. I chuckled to myself at the irony.
Later I read in the manual that they recommend you disconnect the fuel line to the whirlpool engine after use.

<< Could it be that the Evinrude was simply not designed to accommodate a non-vented fuel system? >>

The dealer was aware that I was using a “non-vented” and handed me this fitting.

<< Another question on this - assuming the unvented system builds up pressure when the tank expands due to heating. How much pressure do you think we're talking about here? >>

The tank is not non-vented, my understanding is that it is a term used in comparison to the older tanks with a vent on the top of the gas cap. I think the “demand valve” on the new “non-vented tank” vents off air above a given pressure and prevents pressure in the line to the engine.

I would love to understand the whole system better, and I may crack one open ( the “PRV” valve ) with a hammer to get an idea of how it might work, if it is self-evident.

Ray in Atlanta, Ga.
Standard Rig / Fin Keel
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 04/12/2015 :  08:12:04  Show Profile
Well.. this weekend the engine took forever to crank one time, but I was simply worried I was going to flood it Scared to give it any gas.

As soon as I turned up the throttle it cranked right up.

The fuel seems to come out of the line easily, like an hour after you shut it off you hafta pump the bulb up again to crank it.

I think I'll order another fuel fitting from the line to the engine.

Ray in Atlanta, Ga.
Standard Rig / Fin Keel

Edited by - redeye on 04/12/2015 15:15:41
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 04/12/2015 :  08:23:09  Show Profile
Love that picture. Makes it look like your doing 30 mph.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 04/14/2015 :  07:14:36  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by GaryB

Love that picture.

Especially the outboard cutoff lanyard

Paul

Joint Decision. (Sold)
PO C250WB 2005 Sail # 841.

Moved up to C34 Eximius

Updated August 2015
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 04/18/2015 :  10:17:56  Show Profile
So, Evinrude (by BPR)small outboards are made by Tohatsu, and Mercury and Nissan small outboards have been made by Tohatsu for years now. Sounds like the thing to do is just buy a Tohatsu from Online Outboards!

DavidP
1975 C-22 SK #5459 "Shadowfax" Fleet 52
PO of 1984 C-25 SK/TR #4142 "Recess"
Percy Priest Yacht Club, Hamilton Creek Marina, Nashville, TN
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 04/18/2015 :  11:37:03  Show Profile
quote:
Sounds like the thing to do is just buy a Tohatsu from Online Outboards!

LOL..Exactly, Bypass the middleman!

Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 04/20/2015 :  05:51:29  Show Profile
<< Sounds like the thing to do is just buy a Tohatsu from Online Outboards! >>

Hmm.. I got mine for under $1000, dealer warranty and setup.

That was a good question, but I wanted a local dealer to service the engine should I need it. I picked my dealer cause his shop was a good repair shop. And they gave me a lot of information on the engine.

I was unclear what was what on these engines, it appears this engine has a history of three carb modifications ( the "c" carb )

A friend advised me to buy an extra carb..

Ray in Atlanta, Ga.
Standard Rig / Fin Keel
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 09/21/2015 :  09:15:54  Show Profile
BTW.. this Attwood gas tank from West Marine leaks fuel at the bottom of the fuel fitting on the tank.

I'm not pleased...

More crap from china...

Ray in Atlanta, Ga.
Standard Rig / Fin Keel
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page