Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Wind Meter for your iPhone
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

indecentseas
1st Mate

Member Avatar

Canada
67 Posts

Initially Posted - 03/05/2015 :  12:51:46  Show Profile
I backed a Kickstarter project that may be of interest to you all. It's a wind meter (speed and direction) that plugs into your iPhone. (It also works with iPads and other phones.) I've had it for a week now and I'm impressed. The readings seem accurate. It's compact and the price is reasonable (about $60). They have an app that will plot your result on a map where you can see readings from other people all over the globe.

My main complaint is battery usage. It really draws juice when taking a reading. The other thing I wish they would improve is to have the app give you a true wind reading. The app only gives the apparent wind but they should be able to subtract out the vector of your motion and give a true wind reading.

The device is made in Denmark and has a strange name, Sleipnir. The company is called Vaavud. An earlier project of theirs measured wind velocity only. The Sleipnir is kind of ingenious. It determines wind direction based on the micro accelerations in the wind speed.

Here is the company's website:
http://vaavud.com/product/vaavud-sleipnir/

Here is the original Kickstarter site with a video:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/vaavud/vaavud-wind-meter-v-20?ref=nav_search

David Hopkins
Vancouver, British Columbia
'78 Swing Keel, Standard Rig, Dinette

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 03/05/2015 :  20:21:20  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Shame that they didn't use it to generate power rather than use it!

Paul

Joint Decision. (Sold)
PO C250WB 2005 Sail # 841.

Moved up to C34 Eximius

Updated August 2015

Edited by - britinusa on 03/05/2015 20:22:07
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 03/05/2015 :  21:25:32  Show Profile
Vaavud brought the first product to market, but they have serious competition now. The first one was reportedly quite accurate but not pocket friendly. I read somewhere else that the were developing an updated product. Competition usually does make things get better.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle

Edited by - Dave5041 on 03/05/2015 21:27:16
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 03/06/2015 :  05:26:19  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Yep:
WeatherFlow Wind Meter

Paul

Joint Decision. (Sold)
PO C250WB 2005 Sail # 841.

Moved up to C34 Eximius

Updated August 2015
Go to Top of Page

awetmore
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1144 Posts

Response Posted - 03/06/2015 :  15:40:52  Show Profile
It'll be interesting to see how the directional accuracy is when compared to devices that use a vane. Raymarine makes an anenometer that uses the same principal (called the Rotavecta), but doesn't recommend it for sailboats due to the lower accuracy.

Vaavud says the accuracy is +/-4%: that translates to +/- 14 degrees...not very good for sailing.

Being able to easily measure the wind speed is nice though (and your sail tells give you more information than wind instruments anyway).

Alex W
Seattle, WA
Express 37 "re-Quest"
previously owned 1984 Catalina 25 "Lutra"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page