Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 cockpit paint
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

stang9150
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
138 Posts

Response Posted - 03/09/2015 :  06:40:49  Show Profile
That is pretty much what I want,not looking for a show boat,dock queen or whatever they call them in the boating world. Have no interest in the racing part though just cruising around the river.

Anyway as far as paint I have read that a 2 part can not go over a single stage. I have been getting most of the garbage off, but I don't know if I will have some interaction between paints. I might have to go with a good single stage to be safe.
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 03/09/2015 :  07:03:01  Show Profile
My friends used this and it came out nice for the shiny areas then added the anti skid to it for the anti skid areas.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

pearson39b
1st Mate

Members Avatar

93 Posts

Response Posted - 03/09/2015 :  09:03:47  Show Profile
Just saw this "Brightside" used on a boat, and it looked remarkably good. Of course, it had just been applied recently, but it was brushed on and you couldn't tell that by looking at it...

Sailor Jerry
C-25 "Sea Song"
1978, SK, Std.
Pepin, WI
Go to Top of Page

stang9150
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
138 Posts

Response Posted - 03/09/2015 :  10:26:55  Show Profile
brightsides and kiwi grip will probably be the way I will head.
Go to Top of Page

pearson39b
1st Mate

Members Avatar

93 Posts

Response Posted - 03/09/2015 :  11:01:19  Show Profile
With regard to the non-skid surface; I used regular latex and beach sand on the steps to my trawler, and it came out very well. Gotta use very fine sand and paint over it once it is bedded. The PO also had all my decks done this way (not sure what kind of paint he used). The appearance is outstanding, and the grip is almost too good.
Some people use crushed walnut shell in the same application. Advantage is that they can sand it off at a future date, which is extremely difficult if you use sand.

Sailor Jerry
C-25 "Sea Song"
1978, SK, Std.
Pepin, WI
Go to Top of Page

pearson39b
1st Mate

Members Avatar

93 Posts

Response Posted - 03/09/2015 :  12:41:39  Show Profile
These are shots of my steps and foredeck with sand used as non-skid. The foredeck was professionally done by the P.O. I did the steps..

Sailor Jerry
C-25 "Sea Song"
1978, SK, Std.
Pepin, WI
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 03/09/2015 :  12:57:15  Show Profile
I hope your not saying it's OK to use Latex paint on a boat. Thats what got him into this mess. The steps are a different story.

Go to Top of Page

pearson39b
1st Mate

Members Avatar

93 Posts

Response Posted - 03/09/2015 :  15:29:24  Show Profile
No latex on the boat.. Sorry if I wasn't clear about that..

Sailor Jerry
C-25 "Sea Song"
1978, SK, Std.
Pepin, WI
Go to Top of Page

stang9150
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
138 Posts

Response Posted - 03/16/2015 :  12:09:31  Show Profile
Just to update this thread. The cockpit is about 90 percent stripped and half way up the deck on the starboard side deck is done. Things are coming along just fine as of now.
Go to Top of Page

stang9150
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
138 Posts

Response Posted - 03/21/2015 :  11:19:34  Show Profile
Been working on it a little after work here and there. I finally got a couple of hours in this morning. The paint on the main deck is pretty much clear,no surprise repairs jobs are anything like that. Start on the cabin top next week maybe. Pictures show various points.

Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 03/21/2015 :  11:39:19  Show Profile
Definitely looks much better. Looks like you have a very nice parts boat next to you too..

Go to Top of Page

stang9150
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
138 Posts

Response Posted - 03/21/2015 :  11:51:58  Show Profile
Thanks! Yes it is a nice boat next to me. I believe it is an 86 fixed keel tall rig. I have never seen it leave the slip though. That boat has also been painted all over,but with the right materials and looks nice.
Go to Top of Page

stang9150
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
138 Posts

Response Posted - 04/13/2015 :  14:15:07  Show Profile
well got it all done except for removing some hardware to get the paint underneath. The sliding hatch,front hatch, and anchor locker are the only things left. Then I just need to get the smooth area done.

Go to Top of Page

wanderer13
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
76 Posts

Response Posted - 04/13/2015 :  14:56:57  Show Profile
Looks much better. I'll bet that was A LOT of work.

I recommend polishing your topside and hull gelcoat with rubbing compound and polishing compound, then a good coat of wax. An orbital buffer helps with this. It's amazing how much oxidized gelcoat can shine. Regarding the non-skid, I have had good luck with Interlux Interdeck.
Go to Top of Page

stang9150
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
138 Posts

Response Posted - 04/13/2015 :  15:40:34  Show Profile
The non skid is pretty worn as you can see by the brownish areas. I really don't think I can save it and probably why it was painted in the first place. I was leaning towards the kiwi grip on the non skid areas.So far I went through 2 quarts of stripper so no real cost involved ($40). Once that stuff sets up over night the paint comes off very easily. I would apply at night after work then head down the next night or early morning. If I had to add up the time guess about 7 hours to get where I'm at,broken up into half hour sections. So still have been sailing every weekend why this has been going on. It does not look great but I like the difference in having a worn deck versus a real bad paint job.
Go to Top of Page

stang9150
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
138 Posts

Response Posted - 12/19/2016 :  09:51:38  Show Profile
Some progress on this old boat over the last few months. Will be finishing the non skid with kiwi grip after the holidays.

Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 12/19/2016 :  10:22:36  Show Profile
Nice work! You couldn't have hoped for a better result.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

stang9150
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
138 Posts

Response Posted - 12/19/2016 :  10:31:37  Show Profile
Thanks. Just want to make it presentable looking out on the water and walking down the dock. The kiwi grip will be a light gray color,so should break it up a good bit. Then I can reinstall the lifelines,deck hardware, and wood.
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 12/19/2016 :  17:19:13  Show Profile
Will be very interested in how your Kiwi Grip application goes. I have read only good things about it and I may need to resort to painting my forward non-skid so it actually is non-skid! Kiwi Grip most likely will be the way I go. FYI Kiwi Grip IS a water base (I presume latex) finish.

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 12/21/2016 :  17:57:58  Show Profile
OT: Stang, can you take a look on the underside of your bimini and see if htere's a tag indicating who made you bimini and hopefully a model # of the bimini?

I need to replace mine but the tag on mine is faded out.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page

stang9150
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
138 Posts

Response Posted - 12/21/2016 :  21:59:19  Show Profile
I can take a look when I get back in town in a few weeks. I had to cut a few inches out of it and move to the outside track mounts. I had to do this to clear the boom. The previous owner had the boom raised up and a shorten main which cleared the Bimini fine, not so much with new stock main sail.
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 12/22/2016 :  17:28:14  Show Profile
Thank you Stang. I appreciate it.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page

stang9150
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
138 Posts

Response Posted - 02/13/2017 :  09:03:37  Show Profile
Did some of the kiwi grip yesterday on the main deck and cabin top. It was a learn as you go experience, I may go back for one more coat. They called for 1/8 inch thick on the kiwi grip, I went a little thinner. Gary by the way sorry for the late reply but I could find no markings on that top.

Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 02/13/2017 :  20:11:40  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by stang9150

Did some of the kiwi grip yesterday on the main deck and cabin top. It was a learn as you go experience, I may go back for one more coat. They called for 1/8 inch thick on the kiwi grip, I went a little thinner. Gary by the way sorry for the late reply but I could find no markings on that top.

No problem at all. Nice job on the boat!

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX

Edited by - GaryB on 02/13/2017 20:27:47
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 02/17/2017 :  20:30:05  Show Profile
That is a very impressive resurrection. Congratulations!

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page