Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Spinnaker
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hewebb
Admiral

Member Avatar

USA
761 Posts

Initially Posted - 01/13/2015 :  05:43:42  Show Profile
I am thinking about ordering an asymmetrical spinnaker for my boat(Catalina 25) . (Been thinking about it for about a year now) I started to build a list of items required to rig. I am wondering what size sheets to get and how long. I am thinking that 1/4 inch Sampson low stretch. I am thinking it should be a small light weight line. One rigging site says sheet to be twice the boat length. That works out to be 100' of line. Turning blocks will be at the stern.

I have the mast crane and halyard. I am planning to use a ATN snuffer.
Also, I have to rig a tack line. Jib is a 150 on a furler.

I sail on a small lake and am wondering if the cost is worth having it. May not be able to use it very often.

What do you guys think?

Edited by - on

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 01/13/2015 :  13:47:51  Show Profile
I probably wouldn't have thought about getting one until after owning the boat for a while when you start looking for some excitement, but the fact that DB came with one is great. Have only flown it around 4 times, but if you have at least 3 people and the perfect breeze it can be a blast! I bet you can find a decent used one with plenty of life in it for a song and a dance.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

awetmore
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1144 Posts

Response Posted - 01/13/2015 :  23:01:33  Show Profile
What wind conditions are you using it in, and do you ever expect to rig a symmetric spinnaker in the future (where you might use the same line)?

Loads on the asymmetric's sheets aren't that high (not like a guy line on a symmetric) and extra low stretch lines are overkill. Go for lightweight instead. 1/4" is pretty hard on the hand if you are actively trimming the chute (which you should be), 5/16" (8mm) is a lot more comfortable. I use this stuff in 8mm:
http://www.fisheriessupply.com/fse-robline-dinghy-light

The tack line can be something stronger and low stretch does help there.

How often are you singlehanding vs having crew? If you often have crew then flying an asymmetric on a small lake isn't a big deal, and you may find the snuffer unnecessary. If you are often singlehanded then your set and douse time may be long enough that you run out of lake pretty quickly. How big is your small lake?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

hewebb
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
761 Posts

Response Posted - 01/14/2015 :  05:13:19  Show Profile
The part of the lake that is closest aligned with the prevailing winds is about 4 miles. That is the place where I would most often use it. I do sail solo quite a bit. I borrowed an asymmetrical spinnaker from a friend and it was a blast to fly-made the boat really perform in medium to light air. It had the ATN snuffer. I had two experienced crew members to help fly the spinnaker on board. I have started to race the boat. The races are PHRF with several sizes and types of boats and several fly spinnakers. I had one offered to me to use so I may just rig the boat for now.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 01/14/2015 :  06:02:55  Show Profile
If you intend to race with crew, by all means, learn to fly a spinnaker. I wish I had made the effort to learn it years ago. It's hard for a boat racer to find crew who are skilled at rigging and flying a spinnaker, and, if you have those skills, you'll have all kinds of opportunities to crew on some of the best race boats.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 01/14/2015 :  06:12:11  Show Profile
quote:
I sail on a small lake and am wondering if the cost is worth having it.

I added one to my C25. And I also added the ATN spinnaker sock, it was a great improvement over the original sock.

One of the first things I did when I purchased the new boat was purchase a spinnaker. The cost/worth aspect may not make sense, but the fun factor is. It also allows you to go out on days that you would not otherwise because of low wind conditions. Photo of the new rig:

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 01/14/2015 :  06:37:07  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
And there is the Promotion aspect of a Spinnaker.

When we fly our Asym, and later head back to the Anchorage, we often get positive comments about how nice it looked (old and battered as it is!). It occurs to me that all of those power boats, at anchor while we sail past flying the Asym, may have had the same thought and perhaps consider moving over to the Bright Side some day

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Tomas Kruska
Admiral

Members Avatar

Czech Republic
522 Posts

Response Posted - 01/14/2015 :  07:46:21  Show Profile  Visit Tomas Kruska's Homepage
I would rather consider Code Zero with furler or sock for light wind sailing.

North Sail's nomenclature is very simple: A= Asymmetric construction, S= Symmetric Spinnakers, G= Gennaker, which is their trademarked name for an asymmetric sail with less girth, and C= Coded sails. North’s three coded sails are numbered “0”, “1”, and “2”. The Codes have (or at least did) wire luffs and differ from the Asymmetics and Gennakers in I girth. They are designed to have sufficient halyard tension in order to present a straight luff.

Edited by - Tomas Kruska on 01/14/2015 07:51:32
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 01/14/2015 :  08:01:47  Show Profile
Check my recent topic in the Racing forum... (That was a symmetric, and it was off Tasmania...)

Paul: Am I paranoid, or are you talking about me again?

Thomas: I was thinking about a Code Zero before my crew passed away and I ended up moving and selling the boat. It would've been fun in July-August days on western Long Island Sound.

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 01/14/2015 08:12:18
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page