Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Cruising Forum
 Can I handle a C37?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dalelargent
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
198 Posts

Initially Posted - 01/11/2015 :  09:07:58  Show Profile
So, I have sailed my c25 (and my Vagabond 14) for several years now and have growing skills and confidence. In addition to my local waters, I have sailed my c25 on the Columbia River and a full week of cruising the San Juan Islands. All have gone well, I have learned a lot, and have had a blast growing my confidence.

I have several friends who would like to sail the San Juans with me this coming summer, but the C25 is a bit small for "several" friends. Someone suggested chartering a larger boat for such a trip. I am curious if that is a good idea, or a disaster in the making.

I have San Juans experience and feel I understand the navigational and tidal challenges involved. No big deal. However, I haven't sailed on a boat larger than 25' in 25 years, and am curious your opinions on whether I can handle a larger charter boat, like a Catalina 37. Other than remembering I have a huge fin dragging below me, would I be overwhelmed with different systems...or even just the size of it? Or will I feel right at home within an hour? I mean, a halyard is a halyard, right? (Or will the fascination with an actual refrigerator on-board cause me to run-aground? LOL!)

Also, is a charter company likely to rent to me? I have no idea what they typically require of captains...

Opinions?

Thanks!

Dale

Edited by - on

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 01/11/2015 :  09:35:31  Show Profile
Yup--a halyard is still a halyard, and a sheet is a sheet... One significant difference is an inboard isn't an outboard. Have you handled an inboard sailboat? In close-quarter maneuvering, especially in reverse where the rudder doesn't deflect the thrust, it's different. "Prop-walk" in reverse pulls the stern to port until you have enough movement for the rudder to start taking effect--then a slight turn to starboard will compensate. You'll also find you can practically spin the boat in place when in forward gear, rudder to port--but not quite so much turning to starboard (again, because of prop-walk). That's when the boat is stationary or moving very slowly and you're applying some thrust.

Sailing is the same, except everything is a lot bigger! I would suggest checking out accommodations of boats in the 30-34' range before settling on a 37+ footer--every 3' increase in a sailboat makes it a whole lot bigger and heavier. A C-30, for example, seems easily twice as big as a C-25, and is more the double the displacement. The C-38 is about 50% heavier than the C-30. Wing keel versions of these bigger boats generally don't draw a whole lot more than a C-25 fin.

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 01/11/2015 10:00:35
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 01/11/2015 :  10:08:38  Show Profile
One more thing: The C-37 I know of is an ocean racer, not a spacious cruiser. In the Catalina line, you'll want to look into the 30, 310, 320, 34, 36, 375, 38,.......

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 01/11/2015 10:12:19
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 01/11/2015 :  10:08:38  Show Profile
Sailing your C25 is very similar to sailing a much bigger boat. Big boats generally are rigged like your boat. Raising and lowering and trimming the sails will be about the same as on your boat. The reefing gear might be a little different, so it's a good idea to look it over, and, if you don't understand how it works, ask for a quick tutorial. When you charter a boat, the charter company will have someone walk through the boat and show you how the stove and refrig. and head and engine and other systems work. I regularly singlehand my C&C 35, and could singlehand a much bigger boat if necessary.

There are two issues that need to concern you. The first is operating the boat under power. Getting a 37' inboard powered boat in and out of a slip, and maneuvering through the narrow confines of a marina requires skills that you probably don't have yet. You can acquire those skills by taking a course from a sailing school, or, you might learn it from a friend. "Back in the day," when I chartered, the charter company hired a captain to check me out on the boat, to see if I could handle it. In only one hour, the checkout captain taught me enough to get by. If you can get a 35' boat in and out of a slip, you can get a 45' boat in and out (if you can get over the fear ). The techniques that you use to maneuver a big boat are the same that you use for an even bigger boat.

The second concern is, whether the charter company will allow you to charter the boat bareboat, or whether the company will require you to hire a captain to help you. I have heard that they are much stricter than they used to be, and they might require that you take a certain course from a sailing school, and provide them a certificate showing that fact.

Ask the charter company what they require.

Edited by - Steve Milby on 01/11/2015 10:14:11
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 01/11/2015 :  10:25:06  Show Profile
I went from a C25 to a 34' Gemini catamaran. There a lot of differences, but nothing you won't be able to over come. As the others pointed out, docking and maneuvering in tight quarters has a learning curve.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dalelargent
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
198 Posts

Response Posted - 01/12/2015 :  09:15:35  Show Profile
Thanks for the VERY helpful comments. I don't think I would have ever considered the motoring portion of the trip. I will try to arrange for some motoring (and sailing) time on a friend's 43'. So very glad I asked!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 04/25/2015 :  17:45:36  Show Profile
I would suggest you charter/rent a larger boat to see how comfortable you are sailing larger/heavier/inboard etc.

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page