Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Dual Battery Pics
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

wanderer13
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
76 Posts

Response Posted - 03/28/2015 :  09:14:29  Show Profile
Indeed! Thank you for the update, sir.
Go to Top of Page

jaydon
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
156 Posts

Response Posted - 04/06/2015 :  16:24:54  Show Profile
Here is an update on the batteries and a question. Of course there is that BIG CAT battery. I don't know the condition yet. The deep cycle that the PO had installed in the fabricated compartment at the end of the quarter berth is a GP27. I had it checked and after I charged it for a day it was only showing 5.7 V. I am going to have to replace it. I just picked up (from a good dealer)a used Yamaha 9.9 4 stroke. Elec start with alternator. I do not plan on any extended periods on a hook. I have the shore power for at the dock and a battery tender. My first replacement will be a deep cycle and when I can get the CAT out, I plan on getting a starting batt. Will 2 GP 24s be ok or should I stay with the GP27 for the deep cycle and get a 24 for the starting battery?
Thanks for any input
Jay

Jay
South County RI
Cat 25 SR/FK/Trad
Wind Dancer
Go to Top of Page

wanderer13
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
76 Posts

Response Posted - 04/09/2015 :  18:40:52  Show Profile
Jay,
I would remove the battery from the quarter berth as well as the CAT battery. The CAT battery offers good amp hours (when new), but it isn't deep cycle, which means it likely didn't survive long periods at full discharge. It really isn't meant for marine applications, and I would bet it's in similar condition to the starting battery.

I recommend a marine starting battery for the motor and a 27-series for the house batt. Put them under the starboard settee where Catalina intended them. I would also take this opportunity to fully inspect and check the battery cables to make sure they're in good condition, of marine grade (tinned copper), and sufficient gauge.

James
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 04/17/2015 :  15:48:09  Show Profile
I agree with James and add one more suggestion - whatever wiring you set up for charging the battery or supplying the house circuits, as well as any switching (A-B-Both-Off) needs to have a right-sized fuse (not electromechanical circuit breaker) in line within one foot of the battery terminal.
High amperage wires can carry lots of current that can cause catastrophic fires aboard. High amperage fuses are available for boats and when you buy one always get a spare so you can replace it while underway. Too many folks have replaced 30A fuses with 500A pennies or jumpers and unfortunately have suffered the results of their poor decisions.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

Jan Briede
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
162 Posts

Response Posted - 04/22/2015 :  09:02:10  Show Profile
James,
Were the heck is this located in the boat? Granted I have a 79 model, but I can't seem to place it.
Great job btw!
Jan

Jan Briede
Beagle
1979 TR #1242 FK
L-Dinette
Yorktown, VA
Blog -- http://vanomad.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Jan Briede on 04/22/2015 09:02:39
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 04/22/2015 :  13:54:35  Show Profile
You really don't need a starting battery and it offers no benefit. The 30 or so amps your motor needs for starting is well within the range of a deep cycle. Starting batteries are designed for short bursts of high current and immediate recharge, like an inboard with a big alternator, and their thinner plates are less durable and more prone to sulfation. Get deep cycles, all the same size in case you want to combine them sometime through a 1-2-both-off switch. I have 2 group 27's under the starboard settee

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle
Go to Top of Page

Akenumber
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
247 Posts

Response Posted - 05/17/2015 :  19:07:45  Show Profile
I currently use 2 group 31 bateries in side by side configuration in the starboard settee. I have no bat boxes,just hold down straps. I have been cg inspected many times and as long as I have them strapped they are OK with it.

Ken
San Diego
84 C25 SR/FK 4116
The KRAKEN

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page