Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 GPS on a 250 WK
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Staskomark
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
3 Posts

Initially Posted - 12/27/2014 :  08:45:01  Show Profile
Hi folks,

I just bought a 2006 250 WK that came with a knot meter, sounder, and compass on the wheel. I want to install a GPS chart plotter which I suppose would be most conveniently positioned at the Edson but it seems I'll need to add a guard to mount it. It gets kind of expensive. Are there any other alternative locations or mounts? Pros and cons?
Thanks!

Mako60

Edited by - on

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 12/27/2014 :  08:49:51  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Staskomark

Hi folks,

I just bought a 2006 250 WK that came with a knot meter, sounder, and compass on the wheel. I want to install a GPS chart plotter which I suppose would be most conveniently positioned at the Edson but it seems I'll need to add a guard to mount it. It gets kind of expensive. Are there any other alternative locations or mounts? Pros and cons?
Thanks!

Mako60

Congratulations on the boat, and welcome to the forum.

Where are the knot meter and sounder displays mounted?

Edited by - TakeFive on 12/27/2014 08:50:17
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 12/27/2014 :  09:25:41  Show Profile
There are relatively inexpensive mounts available. I don't remember the manufacturer of the one I used, but it was similar to this one. (Lifedge Rokk mount, item # 259526, $29.99 at Defender) I attached the mounting bracket that came with the gps to the rail mounting bracket. I cut a 3" disk of teak, and used it to "mate" the two brackets. If the holes in the two mounts line up, you won't need to use a teak disk to mate them. http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|344|2028704|2029001& id=2197604

West Marine has this one , also for $29.99, but I like the other type of mount. It is very solid and easily adjustable. My concern with this Ram mount is that it might loosen up over time, and begin to flop around. http://www.westmarine.com/buy/ram-mounts--handlebar-rail-mount-with-zinc-coated-u-bolt-base--14497531

Edited by - Steve Milby on 12/27/2014 09:29:41
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 12/27/2014 :  10:12:21  Show Profile
Please clarify - do you have a pedestal guard or not? I was led to believe that you do not. If you do, that opens up a big range of options.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Staskomark
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
3 Posts

Response Posted - 02/18/2015 :  15:20:36  Show Profile
Hi Guys,

To be clear - I have a pedestal with compass - std. option for the C250. My sounder is located left of the pedestal and the knot meter is on the cabin bulkhead. I believe those are standard C250 locations. My last boat had a chartplotter and that is what I'd like to install here. My question was "is there a good alternative to adding a pedestal guard" as that option adds hundreds of dollars to the cost of the chartplotter? Thanks for your help.

Mako60
Go to Top of Page

sdpinaz
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
193 Posts

Response Posted - 02/19/2015 :  06:02:39  Show Profile
When I get one, I plan to mount it on a swivel on the starboard bulkhead so it can be used inside the cabin and then swing out front and center in the companionway, swing inside when I am not on the boat and when I am inside chart plotting. Then again I have a tiller on my C25 and therefore use my cockpit very differently I suppose.

Scott
'88 WK/SR #5727
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 02/19/2015 :  18:07:03  Show Profile
If you don't want to buy a pedestal guard and are willing to look sideways at your chartplotter, I would get a RAM mount with 1.5" rubber balls and a socket arm. Attach it to the vertical rail of your starboard perch seat above and in front of your outboard motor. The ram mounts can be twisted and tilted in different directions, so you can get it facing right toward you when you're at the helm. I have a clamshell right under there for my starter/alternator wire, and I run other wires through there too. If you have the same thing, it will be easy. But you will have to look to the side to see it.

If you had a pedestal guard, I'd recommend the same thing, but mount it on the guard instead.

gpscity.com has a huge selection of RAM mount parts (much larger than West Marine), and I would get a mount that has two U-bolts instead of the single-bolt one that Steve Milby showed:

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
PO of Take Five, 1998 Catalina 250WK #348 (relocated to Baltimore's Inner Harbor)
New owner of 2001 Catalina 34MkII #1535 Breakin' Away (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)
Go to Top of Page

Tahoe Cruiser
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
72 Posts

Response Posted - 05/05/2015 :  20:21:21  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by sdpinaz

When I get one, I plan to mount it on a swivel on the starboard bulkhead so it can be used inside the cabin and then swing out front and center in the companionway, swing inside when I am not on the boat and when I am inside chart plotting. Then again I have a tiller on my C25 and therefore use my cockpit very differently I suppose.

That's what I did. I also have a tiller. Mine is on a small flat screen tv mount and folds out to the side of the companionway when in use then swings back out of the way inside tight to the bulkhead when not in use or chart plotting out of the bright sun.

1998 250 WK/TR #355 "Trail Break"
Lake Tahoe California
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page