Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Outboard tilt
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bigbeartr57
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
24 Posts

Initially Posted - 12/13/2014 :  13:39:49  Show Profile
I have a 1978 Evinrude 9.9 mounted on my Catalina 25 and I cannot get it to tilt. I know there is a tilt lever on the stbd side of the engine and I have it in the proper (fwd) position, but no matter how hard I pull , the motor will not tilt. I have also tried to tilt it with the shift lever in every position.

Is there a step that I am missing? Could the tilt rod be seized? It is a little rusty and I'm soaking it in WD-40 as I type this but I kinda don't think that's the problem, more likely that I am doing something wrong.

I do not have the engine's manual and Evinrude wants something like $30-40 for a new one, which I refuse to pay out of principle.

Edited by - on

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 12/13/2014 :  15:57:53  Show Profile
If you've put the shifter in forward and flipped the tilt lever it's probably seized. We had a '72 100 HP Evinrude and the shifter had to be in forward to be able to tilt the engine up.

The tilt lever on that motor was just a latch that held the motor up once it was tilted. You moved it forward to unlock the motor so you could lower it.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

jduck00
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
313 Posts

Response Posted - 12/13/2014 :  16:09:49  Show Profile
The release on my outboard got stuck around the locking pin. If you have an adjustable locking pin, you can pull the pin and then tilt the motor to see what is stuck. I had to do that several times before I could get around to greasing the system up so it would work.

I don't know about the Evinrude, but I've two locks on my Yamaha. One on the side that locks the motor up in full tilt position, and another release lever on the front of the motor that unlocks release around the pin.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 12/15/2014 :  20:46:45  Show Profile
I suspect the reverse-lock that keeps the motor from popping up in reverse. I don't know where it is on an Evinrude, but it is activated by the shift lever, and should release in neutral as well as forward. I'd start by looking for and checking that connection. Something could be seized, or there could be a broken spring somewhere (that might cause the lock to release)...

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 12/15/2014 21:03:34
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 12/16/2014 :  04:40:51  Show Profile
<< I'd start by looking for and checking that connection. >>

I had one short shaft 1970's Evinrude 9.9 that would not release. I'd hafta reach down and push the catch down to lift it up.

It was easy to reach on that boat.

Anyhoo, there was a release rod that went down that was supposto ingage when you went into forward and a spring that pulled the "hooks" into place in neutral and reverse, and when you shifted into forward drive the metal rod running down was supposto pull the hooks forward.

First I bent the wire and it worked for a while, and then I removed the spring and then it was easy to push the catch hooks out of the way.

You should look at the linkage that manually connects the drive lever to the foot catch "hooks" .. I've seen several designs over the years.

Sorry about my terminology being somewhat inaccurate...

When it works properly you can easily see the hooks drop down out of the way.

Edited by - redeye on 12/16/2014 04:42:23
Go to Top of Page

bigbeartr57
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
24 Posts

Response Posted - 12/18/2014 :  20:41:22  Show Profile
I determined it was just seized. I was finally able to get it to move a little, but not all the way. Enough though to determine that it wasn't still locked in place. I found a salvage tilt rod on eBay for $15 and its already in the mail. Thanks for all the tips!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 12/21/2014 :  09:56:06  Show Profile
Not for nothing but www.boats.net has exploded views of most engines. Evinrude is listed. I use the exploded views to figure out what the junk is going on with the machinery.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

bigbeartr57
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
24 Posts

Response Posted - 12/29/2014 :  17:15:28  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Voyager

Not for nothing but www.boats.net has exploded views of most engines. Evinrude is listed. I use the exploded views to figure out what the junk is going on with the machinery.

I've definitely found those blow-ups to be extremely helpful, but I still wasn't sure if I might have been missing something on this mechanism.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

bigbeartr57
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
24 Posts

Response Posted - 12/29/2014 :  17:20:08  Show Profile
For anyone else who might stumble upon this with the same question: All you have to do is flip the tilt lever on the stbd side up, and the motor will tilt, you should here a click when the motor reaches the full tilted position and locks. I grab the back of the engine to pull it up. To lower it back down, push the tilt lever back down, and I usually have to play with the lock a little and take the weight off of the lock to get it to release, again you will hear it click when it locks into place.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page