Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 this cant be the rig for his boat!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dasreboot
Admiral

Member Avatar

803 Posts

Initially Posted - 12/09/2014 :  11:49:59  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
look at the roach on the main.! also sails with poptop up.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/great-condition-sailboat-catalina-25in-COCONUT-GROVE-FL-/171572106581?forcerrptr=true&hash=item27f27e9555&item=171572106581&pt=Sailboats

Edited by - on

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 12/09/2014 :  16:12:26  Show Profile
Ill join. The jib looks to be fractionally rigged, also if you look at the UV cover and which side of the sail it is on it doesn't match up. Nice crew though!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 12/09/2014 :  16:49:28  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
did not catch the uv cover. Id love to have that main, but having to employ those running backstays? what a PITA

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 12/09/2014 :  16:57:00  Show Profile
It's hard to tell. My mainsail was cut for racing by North, and had a huge roach that snagged on the backstay when I tacked, and that's common on boats that are equipped to race. The boat appears to have been on a beam reach when the photo was taken, so the photo is a little hard to interpret. I'd guess that the rig is factory stock, based mainly on the fact that it's so expensive to replace a rig, but we have seen instances where people have spent irrational amounts of money on boats for incomprehensible reasons. But, to successfully change a rig from masthead to fractional requires that the mast base be relocated, and the sails be replaced, and probably replacing the standing rigging and chainplates. If it was done, it probably wasn't done thoughtfully or successfully.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 12/09/2014 :  18:15:56  Show Profile
I see a forestay above the head of that headsail, so I'm thinking that's something like a drifter hoisted to a separate block on the mast, maybe with a little continuous-line furler so they can roll it up and drop it on the deck.

As for the roach, that's not uncommon among racers--I recall several here having big ones, but I also think that angle, depending on the lens, could mess up the perspective.

But it didn't mess up the crew...

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 12/09/2014 18:16:31
Go to Top of Page

Ape-X
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
662 Posts

Response Posted - 12/10/2014 :  04:31:13  Show Profile
nice cans

Looks right to me:
Main has a lot of twist, you are not seeing the head of the sail.
Jib UV cover is fine, see furled pics. Cover can be on either side, depending on your furling setup.
Jib rigging is difficult to interpret from the pics. Perhaps a preventer, angle of the photo...but all other pics lead to stock Catalina setup, so a spin halyard like stinkypotter suggests could be spot on

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 12/10/2014 :  04:58:55  Show Profile
So why would there be running backstays? What I was saying about the UV cover is in the photo with it furled, it is on the starboard side and in the other photo it is on the port side

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 12/10/2014 :  05:24:35  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
I agree they might have done it, but looking at the other pics I'd say no. You'd think they'd say something about these mods in their ad. I asked the seller a question, but have got no response. Some buyer may be VERY upset if they included pics that were not of the actual item, and did not disclose it in the ad.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Ape-X
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
662 Posts

Response Posted - 12/10/2014 :  11:14:59  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by DavidBuoy

So why would there be running backstays? What I was saying about the UV cover is in the photo with it furled, it is on the starboard side and in the other photo it is on the port side

OK, help me out finding the running backstays? I see potential bungee cord in one pic, other than that the typical forward and rear lower stays and upper stay. Perhaps I am distracted by two other picture subjects

Edited by - Ape-X on 12/10/2014 11:15:45
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 12/10/2014 :  11:35:57  Show Profile
I suspected Todd was joshing about needing running backstays with a huge roach. That could be one solution.

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 12/10/2014 11:37:37
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 12/10/2014 :  16:13:09  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
the ones that i hilighted in yellow are the running backstays. They attach at the mast at the same point as the fractionally rigged forestay; just as it should. HOW DARE YOU DOUBT ME!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Ape-X
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
662 Posts

Response Posted - 12/10/2014 :  17:06:14  Show Profile
and here I was thinking lazy jacks....

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 12/10/2014 :  18:32:50  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Ape-X

and here I was thinking lazy jacks....
Me too.

The backstay(s) for a fractional rig are at the mast-head. That's the point of a fractional rig--to have the backstay attach above the forestay. (Note: I'm not talking about 19th Century designs.)

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 12/10/2014 18:41:34
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 12/10/2014 :  18:55:10  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
not running backstays from wikipedia: "Running backstays support the headstay in a fractionally rigged boat. A masthead rig has the advantage of not needing them. A running backstay runs from each lateral corner of the stern to the mast at the level where the forestay begins in the fractional rig"

sorry for being pedantic. I once had a boat with running backstays. and they are aPITA.

here is a nice pic from google. they have to support the pull at the level of the lower forestay or babystay, or whatever stay :)

http://yachtkorea.com.ne.kr/home/stay.jpg

Edited by - dasreboot on 12/10/2014 18:59:32
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 12/10/2014 :  19:23:54  Show Profile
Well, I learn something every day... But the origin of running backstays was for gaff rigs, mizzen masts, and the like, where a single backstay would obstruct the gaff or boom. Modern fractional rigs are designed to control mast bend and sail shape by pulling the mast-head back and the lower section forward by offsetting the forestay and the backstay. With all due respect to Wikipedia , somebody's description is of 19th and early 20th century rigs.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 12/11/2014 :  04:39:24  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
I had a gaffer. but looking at it more closely on a different monitor, you guys could be right. could be lazyjacks. The owner of the auction has declined to answer my questions, so I guess the mystery of the rig will never be solved!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

SJ
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
198 Posts

Response Posted - 12/30/2014 :  11:04:39  Show Profile
We use runners on our big boat which is not a frac rig. The runners help shape the mast and keep it upright. With such a large main sail area and max backstay pressure placed on the mast, and without the runners the mast would snap.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

fredj
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
16 Posts

Response Posted - 01/02/2015 :  14:25:30  Show Profile
Could it be the topping lift?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

alfreddiaz
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
30 Posts

Response Posted - 01/02/2015 :  18:50:25  Show Profile
You guys are way over my head. You made me look up what running backstays are, and I still don't quite understand them. But that is beside the point. What is my point is could it be that every line you are seeing is not a true line? From where the angle of the sun is hitting, you are going to get a predominant shadow caused by the stay cable and a second true view of the same stay cable line as it is seen through the opaque sail. It also looks like the owner has a line running from the port spreader, probably to fly a flag. I agree that there seem to be a lot more lines than I have on my C-25 TR 1980. But I think you are seeing double because of the way the sun is shining. As for the other pics, everything looks standard.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page