Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Pressure Water and a shower
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

philagnes2003
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
68 Posts

Initially Posted - 12/06/2014 :  04:01:33  Show Profile
This winter I want to upgrade to a pressure water system. I have ordered these faucets which actually look very nice for the head and the galley.

http://www.amazon.com/Ambassador-Marine-Trinidad-Collection-Folding/dp/B009LU7GXE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1417863347&sr=8-2&keywords=Marine+Faucet

I am also considering adding a shower by the after ladder as we love to swim and that would be a nice upgrade. What is the best route to get the water line from either the head or the galley to the aft area?

Thanks

Edited by - on

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 12/06/2014 :  07:24:26  Show Profile
How are you pressurizing your tank? Is the C250 tank, hose, and fittings certified to handle the pressure?

You might want to instead consider an on-demand system, so you're just pumping out of the tank instead of pressurizing everything. But I don't think the faucets you've ordered are compatible with that type of system.

FWIW, for showering off I use a solar shower suspended by halyard.

Edited by - TakeFive on 12/06/2014 07:25:21
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 12/06/2014 :  10:45:39  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by TakeFive

How are you pressurizing your tank? Is the C250 tank, hose, and fittings certified to handle the pressure? You might want to instead consider an on-demand system, so you're just pumping out of the tank instead of pressurizing everything. But I don't think the faucets you've ordered are compatible with that type of system.
I don't any indication he's planning to pressurize his tank, nor a reason that faucet isn't compatible with an on-demand pump. All it takes is something that turns on and off, and hoses that can stay pressurized.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

philagnes2003
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
68 Posts

Response Posted - 12/06/2014 :  17:15:21  Show Profile
Yes, I meant on demand system, pressure sensing.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 12/06/2014 :  18:10:44  Show Profile
I am not sure how a "pressure sensing" system works. My faucet has two wires that go to a pump. When you open the valve it supplies power to a pump that pushes the water. There's no "sensing" involved other than an electrical switch. There's no pressure in the tank, just a pump that turns on based on a switch in the faucet.

So what is a pressure sensing system? What pressure does it sense? Is the entire tank kept under pressure?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Tradewind
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
531 Posts

Response Posted - 12/06/2014 :  18:45:06  Show Profile
From my experience with pressure water pumps there is a sensor in the pump that maintains a preset pressure between the pump and the faucet. When the faucet is opened pressure drops in the water line between the pump and the faucet signaling the pump to start and attempt to maintain the pressure in the line. Some pumps, old PAR for example, have a pressure switch located on the outside of the pump. Others have a pressure sensing switch internal. I believe most modern pumps have an internal switch. The wiring for these type pumps goes to the DC panel and not the faucet.
The water tank is not pressurized, the pump pulls the water from the tank much as a bilge pump pulls water from the bilge.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 12/06/2014 :  19:31:14  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Tradewind

From my experience with pressure water pumps there is a sensor in the pump that maintains a preset pressure between the pump and the faucet. When the faucet is opened pressure drops in the water line between the pump and the faucet signaling the pump to start and attempt to maintain the pressure in the line. Some pumps, old PAR for example, have a pressure switch located on the outside of the pump. Others have a pressure sensing switch internal. I believe most modern pumps have an internal switch. The wiring for these type pumps goes to the DC panel and not the faucet.
The water tank is not pressurized, the pump pulls the water from the tank much as a bilge pump pulls water from the bilge.

Thanks for the explanation. That's different from my boat, which definitely has an electrical switch in the faucet. But your description sounds like how most others work. I hadn't realized that, but now I do. I had mistakenly thought that the tanks were kept under pressure.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Ape-X
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
662 Posts

Response Posted - 12/07/2014 :  05:15:03  Show Profile
Phil: that is a nice faucet, good find.

We have faucets that look like RO system faucets: Push for temp on, pull for staying power. They connect directly to our system, which has 1/4" OD Nylon lines downstream of the pump.

http://www.amazon.com/Watts-116102-Standard-Faucet-Nickel/dp/B0018N0WEC/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1417954628&sr=8-11&keywords=reverse+osmosis+faucet

Edited by - Ape-X on 12/07/2014 05:19:00
Go to Top of Page

philagnes2003
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
68 Posts

Response Posted - 12/07/2014 :  10:04:13  Show Profile
Wow that is inexpensive. Any answer on running the shower line?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

SEAN
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
772 Posts

Response Posted - 12/18/2014 :  03:28:30  Show Profile
I added this water pump from defender , to add a stern shower .
works fine I have had it a couple years now .
I put it on a switch to turn off when not in use .
plus you need the shower kit and hoses also .
pretty easy to install , I have a WK and put it under the acsess behind the companion ladder

Jabsco Ultra-Max Water Pressure Pump Set
Flow Rate: 3.5 GPM, 40 PSI Max., Port Size: 1/2"
Nominal Voltage: 12 Volt DC, Max. Current Draw: 6 Amps, Fuse: 10 Amp
Serves up to (4) Outlets with Exceptional Flow & Consistent Water Pressure

Item #: 502566
Brand: Jabsco
Model #: 59451-1012
Shipping Weight: 8.95 Lbs.

Our Price: $284.99

Edited by - SEAN on 12/18/2014 03:32:19
Go to Top of Page

philagnes2003
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
68 Posts

Response Posted - 03/12/2015 :  18:29:47  Show Profile
Sean or anyone else how do you route the water supply line from the front of the boat to aft for the shower. Also what the best route for the power line to the pump.

Mac's Bounty
2003 C250 WK #679
Orient Harbor, NY

If you think you can, or think you can't, pretty soon you find out your are right! H.F.
Go to Top of Page

SEAN
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
772 Posts

Response Posted - 03/13/2015 :  03:05:07  Show Profile
Hey Mac , I , T`d off under the gally sink drilled a hole from the cabinet to the bilge , then from the bilge straight back too under the stairs access then port to follow the bilge pump out line to the stern area ,then up to where you want it . i did a small hole first to check for clearance then used a hole saw and file to make larger and smooth ..under the cabinet there is less room .. under the stairs theres plenty of room for a 1 1/2 inch hole on my WK its a 2002
its pretty easy ...drill sideways not down :)

Go to Top of Page

philagnes2003
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
68 Posts

Response Posted - 03/13/2015 :  03:22:41  Show Profile
OK Thanks I will investigate, any chance you have a photo?

Mac's Bounty
2003 C250 WK #679
Orient Harbor, NY

If you think you can, or think you can't, pretty soon you find out your are right! H.F.
Go to Top of Page

SEAN
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
772 Posts

Response Posted - 03/13/2015 :  04:48:58  Show Profile
Sure I am going there today I'll take some pictures ..we sleep out a lot on our boat so I put a foot pump for the galley sink to save on the volts ..

Go to Top of Page

SEAN
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
772 Posts

Response Posted - 03/13/2015 :  16:34:47  Show Profile
heres a youtube video of the boat

https://youtu.be/wX3Y22T1iNg?list=UUmdeUR8W1oygaYn0MXGgXxw

Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 03/14/2015 :  04:25:48  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
OT.

Sean,
what AutoPilot are you using?

paul

Joint Decision. (Sold)
PO C250WB 2005 Sail # 841.

Moved up to C34 Eximius

Updated August 2015
Go to Top of Page

philagnes2003
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
68 Posts

Response Posted - 03/14/2015 :  07:04:30  Show Profile
Sean thanks I get it, that's perfect it would've taken way too long to explain it in words thanks

Mac's Bounty
2003 C250 WK #679
Orient Harbor, NY

Go to Top of Page

SEAN
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
772 Posts

Response Posted - 03/14/2015 :  13:28:45  Show Profile
Hi Mac , you couldnt see the holes but on my hull 640 there was room for a 1 1/4 inch hole under the sink , and room for the same size hole under the stairs ..
I used a 1/8 drill bit to check the placement .
mirror and a flash light in the bilge

Hey Paul its a Simrad , it steers pretty good until it gets too lumpy out , i have had it now 6 or 7 years ..the belt broke a couple years ago i replaced it myself for $16

Go to Top of Page

philagnes2003
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
68 Posts

Response Posted - 03/29/2015 :  17:51:51  Show Profile
I replaced and ran all new water lines today, everything went really well, boy the old lines were shot. So another question. I want to mount the pump motor on the starboard side next the fresh water tank. I believe that will work fine, however I need to run power from switch plate down to the pump. this not so easy, I can't get the wire between the switch plate and lower cabinet under the sink where I can forward the wire in the storage area to the pump.
What am I missing, i can route the wire in the joint between the top and bottom from switch plate to the bow and back down or through the bilge.

Mac's Bounty
2003 C250 WK #679
Orient Harbor, NY

Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 03/30/2015 :  02:58:17  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
I had the same issue when getting power from the distribution panel down to below the galley countertop.

I ended up drilling a hole in the aft side of the galley bulkhead and running a power line shrouded in wire wrap.

From there I ran it beneath the plate holders to a sub distribution block that I mounted on the forward face of the tab that is the aft bulkhead of the galley cupboard.
That distribution block provides power for our pressure wash pump (below the galley cupboard floor), Stereo, USB outlet and 12v Outlet.

I don't recommend putting the pressure wash panel under the galley cupboard floor.

Someone mounted theirs on the front face of the water tank, very nicely done. Basically they put a piece of ply strapped to the tank and the pump mounted on the ply.

I'm about to install a replacement speed transducer for my Raymarine ST40 BiData system. That's in the bottom of the V-Berth. I'm probably going to take the opportunity to remount the Pressure wash pump at the same time.

Paul

Joint Decision. (Sold)

Moved up to C34 Eximius

Updated August 2015
Go to Top of Page

philagnes2003
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
68 Posts

Response Posted - 03/30/2015 :  06:08:14  Show Profile
Paul, thanks, this is a real bummer. I guess I can tie wrap the the wire to the chrome bar that contains the gas line for the stove. So close but no way to get there.

-Phil

Mac's Bounty
2003 C250 WK #679
Orient Harbor, NY

Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 03/31/2015 :  04:21:07  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Phil,
If you remove the cup holders from the back of the Galley Counter top, you might be able to fish a stout electrical wire from under the counter top, behind the cabin lower and upper liners to get to the distribution panel. (it beats trying to do it from inside the galley cupboard.)

You would need to consider chaffing of the wire, may not be a problem.

Paul

Joint Decision. (Sold)

Moved up to C34 Eximius

Updated August 2015
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page