Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Swap Meet
 In market for a trailer for Catalina 25 fin keel
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bigbeartr57
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
24 Posts

Initially Posted - 12/03/2014 :  15:48:03  Show Profile
I'm a proud new owner of a "brand new" 1978 Catalina 25 fin keel. I'm military and will likely be moving in a little over a year which would require me to move the boat cross country (or sell it). I also want the flexibility of being able to store the boat at home and even doing maintenance at home on the trailer. Any advice on where to find one? I currently live in Virginia but would be willing to travel for pick up. I also make trips back and forth between here and Texas to see and family and sometimes down to Central Florida, it might not be too far out of the way to pick up something in that chunk of the country.

Edited by - on

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 12/04/2014 :  05:53:35  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
Where are you in va?(northern va)? lets go sailing in spring!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

shnool
Former Capri-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
1032 Posts

Response Posted - 12/04/2014 :  12:45:30  Show Profile  Visit shnool's Homepage
well, if money were no object (and it always is)... a new trailer from triad would run you about $6500 for a float off... but it'd be the cadillac of trailers.

If I may and money is a big deal... Craigslist is your friend.. specifically "allofcraigs.com" I went looking for a while and I forget my exact phrase to find a sailboat trailer... but I know I found a dozen or so that were reasonably priced.. Spring is your best time to look. Now I cant' remember why I was looking for one.

I'll update my post if I find a suitable trailer...

This might work, but you'd need to raise the supports for a fin keel.
http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/boa/4726581957.html
SAme here
http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/boa/4725192690.html
Ooh this has potential
http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/boa/4759551126.html

Edited by - shnool on 12/04/2014 12:49:59
Go to Top of Page

bigbeartr57
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
24 Posts

Response Posted - 12/04/2014 :  17:49:14  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by dasreboot

I am in Hampton Roads. I live in Norfolk, but the boat is in Hampton. I'd love to sail with you, just say when! I could really use any advice and pointers I could get with a Catalina veteran.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 12/05/2014 :  07:35:32  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by bigbeartr57

quote:

I am in Hampton Roads. I live in Norfolk, but the boat is in Hampton. I'd love to sail with you, just say when! I could really use any advice and pointers I could get with a Catalina veteran.

Unfortunately I'm in stafford on the potomac. Maybe we could get some 25s down there together. I'd definitely come down for that!

You guys down in norfolk need to set up the class regatta down there!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

bigbeartr57
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
24 Posts

Response Posted - 12/18/2014 :  20:36:19  Show Profile
I'm the only "guys down in Norfolk" I know of so far, but I'm pretty new to the C-25 community. I'm down for just about anything. I'm a big learn by doing kinda guy, so anything that involves 'doing' sounds good to me.
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by bigbeartr57

quote:

Unfortunately I'm in stafford on the potomac. Maybe we could get some 25s down there together. I'd definitely come down for that!

You guys down in norfolk need to set up the class regatta down there!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 12/20/2014 :  08:21:39  Show Profile
Might want to check these guys out:
http://sailtrailers.com/photos
See photo #4 of 40 on their web site.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

hewebb
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
761 Posts

Response Posted - 12/22/2014 :  06:36:46  Show Profile
I have a trailer that is built on a tandem axel cargo trailer for my wing keel. it is a monster with 5200 pound axels. I do not know how expensive it would be to add bunks/rollers to one. One down side is it is a couple of inches higher than a normal boat trailer. Just a idea if you cannot find a trailer.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 02/03/2015 :  09:38:56  Show Profile
My trailer would work if you replaced the uprights with longer ones, again, a nuts and bolts job, if you don't find anything else.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page