Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Bow down
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

panhead1948
Captain

Member Avatar

345 Posts

Initially Posted - 12/01/2014 :  19:53:03  Show Profile
After reading Russ Johnson's article in MAINSHEET about adding a water tank to the bow, I started thinking. I sail by myself 99% of the time. When I put my 200lbs in the stern the bow get a little light. I'm thinking about putting a bulkhead in the bow so I can move the extra anchors and chain rode out of the dumpster and into the bow. If this get the desired effect I can always move some of the weight around. What are the members thought on this.

Edited by - on

sailboat
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
149 Posts

Response Posted - 12/01/2014 :  22:26:48  Show Profile
I don't know what version C-25 you have but on our 1981 SK/SR dinette version it always rides a bit bow down. Apparently the SK version rides like that with the keel down. Since it is moored in salt water year round with the keel down there is always a bit of growth at the bow, which is easily knocked off prior to getting underway with a long handled plastic scraper. And as you say, with anyone in the stern she immediately rides nicely on her lines. So depending on what version you have and where it is moored you have one owner's experience.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 12/01/2014 :  22:45:06  Show Profile
Note that Russ Johnson sails a C-250 water ballast model, not a C-25. These are two very different boats, and some C-250 owners have added weight (lead, gravel, etc.) in the bow. My C-25 SR/FK with a heavy Honda hanging off the transom seemed to sail nicely on her lines with two people in the cockpit--at least she didn't drag her transom.

Anyway, you have some storage below the v-berth... What is this bulkhead you're thinking of adding? How much weight do you have in extra anchors and chain? (I kept my overnight anchor under the dinette seat, amidships--mostly for ease of access.)

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

panhead1948
Captain

Members Avatar

345 Posts

Response Posted - 12/02/2014 :  10:23:55  Show Profile
Yes I realize that his boat is a 250. My intention was a bulkhead in front of the thru hull. Then I could move my spare plow anchor, rode and some other item to the bow. The boat sits fairly even at the dock but when I sit in the stern the bow rides up and it doesn't handle the Lake Erie Chop too well.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page