Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Sealing gaps around companionway
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rainwater
Deckhand

Member Avatar

22 Posts

Initially Posted - 11/25/2014 :  19:43:39  Show Profile
Sorry I don't have a picture...I'll try to describe it, but I was wondering, when my pop top is closed and slid all the way aft over the top of the companionway boards in the closed position, there is a gap on each top corner about the size of my index finger between the top board and the pop top in each top corner. How do you seal this up? Is there some sort of rubber seal missing from the pop top? The holes will allow mosquitoes and other biting things into the cabin. At the moment there is a full sized screen that velcros all the way down to the steps but I plan on doing away with that and custom building a new companion way board (maybe two) that will have a screen in it for ventilation. The current set up is very annoying to install and remove when ppl are entering and exiting the boat at night.

Edited by - Rainwater on 11/25/2014 19:45:01

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 11/25/2014 :  20:20:34  Show Profile
The gap in the corners at the top of the companionway boards is there so that the poptop has enough space at the corners to be able to slide forward. As you slide the hatch forward, see how the corners move. I have enough space usually to handle an extension cord, when needed. About the only thing you could do when at anchor is stuff a rag into the spaces after the hatch has been closed. As for the poptop itself, it should come down snug onto the deck, the space being taken up by a foam gasket going around the outer edge of the poptop just underneath the fiberglass. Has the PO or someone removed the gasket?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 11/26/2014 :  09:30:57  Show Profile
I cut two small pieces of teak and applied velcro patches to the teak and boat to keep the rain out. Add a short length of stainless bead chain and they're always at hand. I have screen that bungees to the grab rails and drapes over the companionway for bugs whether the boards are in or out or the hatch is open or closed.

Edited by - Dave5041 on 11/26/2014 09:35:39
Go to Top of Page

machaya21
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
6 Posts

Response Posted - 11/26/2014 :  15:02:22  Show Profile
My simple solution is 2 rectangular pieces of bubble foam(small bubbles. I slip one piece of the foam behind each corner of the top hatchboard. As you pull the pop top hatch forward,the foam seals the opening.Tuck it in with you finger. No water,no bugs.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Rainwater
Deckhand

Members Avatar

22 Posts

Response Posted - 11/26/2014 :  17:45:59  Show Profile
The gasket on the poptop itself if good. Sounds like the gaps are normal. Dmpilc that's about the same amount of space i have...about the size of an extension cord

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 11/26/2014 :  20:09:48  Show Profile
Tarp it, I do.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

jerlim
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1484 Posts

Response Posted - 12/01/2014 :  08:09:22  Show Profile
We built a sunbrella cover for the companionway for when we are away. It snaps in place and keeps the rain out of the corners as you describe. Also built a one piece screen to replace the boards when we are overnighting in the summer. Once inside and securing for the evening, I stuff some scraps of the left-over screening material into the gaps from the inside. We also burn citronella candles in the cabin from before sunset until we secure...never have any bug issues.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Akenumber
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
247 Posts

Response Posted - 12/04/2014 :  19:28:40  Show Profile
Agreed sunbrella cover. Kinda makes it a little more secure too.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 12/05/2014 :  08:07:08  Show Profile
quote:
Agreed sunbrella cover. Kinda makes it a little more secure too

Yea, Nothing like a little piece of cloth to to keep the thieves away...

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page