Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Hood Roller Furler - continue
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tomas Kruska
Admiral

Member Avatar

Czech Republic
522 Posts

Initially Posted - 11/21/2014 :  11:54:42  Show Profile  Visit Tomas Kruska's Homepage
I just found interresting video and there was nice block for the endless rope furlers. Its made by Selden and its called twin-cam block

Selden website:http://www.seldenmast.com/en/products/blocks/plain_bearing_blocks/pbb50/__item_405-001-40.html

Block in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owYIOVaC6bw

PS: This is continue of the archived thread
http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true& TOPIC_ID=25475

Edited by - Tomas Kruska on 11/21/2014 11:56:51

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 11/21/2014 :  17:37:24  Show Profile
I don't have a continuous system, but that is a pretty slick item.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

awetmore
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1144 Posts

Response Posted - 11/21/2014 :  22:59:15  Show Profile
Make sure that your single line Hood furler still works without the drum slipping under high load. You can use two docking cleats instead of that expensive block.

Most of the Hood furlers that are still around will work for furling (sail fully in or out), but not for reefing. That block won't prevent the furling line from slipping on the drum.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Tomas Kruska
Admiral

Members Avatar

Czech Republic
522 Posts

Response Posted - 11/22/2014 :  07:02:13  Show Profile  Visit Tomas Kruska's Homepage
Yes you are right, Hood is not reliable for reefing. You have to keep the line in the tention and reasonably new line (10mm in diameter).
All selden stuff is expensie, but I mentioned this as an inspiration, because this is much faster solution than the usage of the cleats.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 11/23/2014 :  19:20:57  Show Profile
I use two racing clamcleats, the metal jaws hold very well. I have been surprised at how well they have held reefs in high wind. I genuinely expected the drum to spin under the load of a 25 mph wind but it held fine and has several times now. We use fuzzy Yachtbraid as the continuous line. This is on a Hunter 25.5 with a Catalina 25 headsail, I have sailed it quite a bit. Reefing it has the drawback of putting a large lateral load on the forestay toggle and the stem fitting and throwing the drum out of alignment as it is pulled aft.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

awetmore
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1144 Posts

Response Posted - 11/24/2014 :  09:57:48  Show Profile
They do reef when the teeth are new, so if you have a lightly used unit it may still reef. It's 10 years later when they are just nubs that it no longer works.

In an emergency you could tie a line between the tack shackle and bow docking cleat to hold the furler from unwinding. That would be an annoying way to reef, but work. Personally I'd prefer to just change to the appropriate sized sail.

Harken has had 57mm single blocks with cam cleats on clearance for a while. They are about $60 each and would make it easy to duplicate that Selden setup.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page