Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 WooHooo, new rigging
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Member Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Initially Posted - 11/20/2014 :  21:43:32  Show Profile
Had the marina replace all of the standing rigging after haul out this year. I worked more than usual this fall and decided to pay instead of Buying CD's package and hoping it fit. I wanted the rear lowers a little longer and fore and back stays an inch shorter than the existing ones. I could only get satisfactory forestay tension and rake with the adjuster pretty well loaded. I suspect the forestay wasn't cut right wen the Harken furler was installed, so I've I've been living with it since I got her. The lowers should let me run a little less tension all around and still get good bend. Swing keel maintenance will be due before Spring launch. I guess the old girl will stay with me for a few more years.

Edited by - on

hewebb
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
761 Posts

Response Posted - 11/21/2014 :  04:46:08  Show Profile
Congratulations on new rigging.

I have heard that some boats have/need a bow in the mast. I rigged mine with a bow for a couple of sails and did not notice if it improved the sail or not. When we launched last time we spent about an hour and a half rigging on the trailer. I have the mast centered port and starboard and pencil straight. I used Loose gages to get the tension set. I have a furler and a non adjustable back stay. The mast doesn't look like it is raked. I am wondering if I should re-rig now that the boat has been in the water for a couple of months and if I should bow the mast. Main sail is a year old.

Edited by - hewebb on 11/21/2014 04:47:08
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 11/21/2014 :  06:24:07  Show Profile
Thats awesome. I really want to replace mine but I think im gonna try and get another year out of the existing rig then haul again, new rigging, sails, keel maintenance and bottom.

Also, regarding the bend..
I've been wanting to rake the mast a bit to try and correct some of the helm. Mine is pretty straight and had a professional tune it at the beginning of the year but right now the boat doesn't round up, it rounds down (dangerous, I know). I figure its mainly the age and center of effort of the sails. When I drop the stick in spring to replace everything up there I am going to try a little rake when its re-rigged.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 11/21/2014 :  12:33:10  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Dave5041

I guess the old girl will stay with me for a few more years.

Yeah, that's what I keep saying about the admiral

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 11/21/2014 :  13:47:16  Show Profile
Have you replaced your stem fitting to the stronger improved one?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 11/21/2014 :  17:35:30  Show Profile
No, I planned to a few years ago but didn't. I'm still toying with an internal system, but I also consider that it has worked fine for 30 years.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Phredde
Navigator

Members Avatar

125 Posts

Response Posted - 11/26/2014 :  09:38:31  Show Profile
I am thinking of doing the same. Would you be willing to share how much the re-rigging cost?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 11/26/2014 :  13:58:30  Show Profile
$1173. That includes a pigtai, adjustable backstay, 7% tax and disassembly and reassembly of the roller furler. They also put the mast back on the boat and secured everything for trailering. Coastal areas have always been more expensive for work I've had quoted.

Edited by - Dave5041 on 11/26/2014 14:31:00
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page