Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 New Sail
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DavidCrosby
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
229 Posts

Initially Posted - 11/19/2014 :  08:26:38  Show Profile  Visit DavidCrosby's Homepage
I just bought a new 100 % jib for my C250. I shopped around and ended up buying the jib from ***. They are basically a broker for a loft in Hong Kong. I received the sail on Monday. I am pleased with the construction. I won't know how it sets until the spring. I am sure it will be OK. My old sail was definitely worn out. It is like a limp rag compared to the new one.

I have a SailRite sewing machine and could not even beat the price by buying a kit that I would have to assemble.

*** list price for a 100% C250 roller furling jib with Sunbrella cover is $635.00. They currently have a 15% discount through Nov. 30.

My sail was one that they had in stock. They had it reduced 20% and I managed to get them to take another 5% off the price. So, I bought a brand new jib for $482.00 plus $34 in shipping.

I have no affiliation with ***. Just a C250 sailor that needed a new jib and did not want to pay $900+ for one.

Edited by - on

DavidCrosby
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
229 Posts

Response Posted - 11/19/2014 :  08:31:10  Show Profile  Visit DavidCrosby's Homepage
So, it looks like this forum is censored!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Al
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
269 Posts

Response Posted - 11/21/2014 :  01:56:07  Show Profile
What's with "***"?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sdpinaz
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
193 Posts

Response Posted - 11/21/2014 :  07:01:47  Show Profile
here's why...
it doesn't happen very often here, but when it does- it is just not worth jeopardizing the entire forum's existence for one thread, Russ did the right thing...
http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=24314

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 11/21/2014 :  07:18:36  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Al

What's with "***"?

If you'll look at the "International Association Business" forum, there is a thread titled "Sailmaker Posting." That thread explains why any mention of the name of a certain sail marketer, either favorably or unfavorably, is omitted. AFAIK, it is the only company that can't be mentioned on the forum. It was a reasonable decision made in the best interest of the association at the time, and, although the applicable law has evolved favorably to the operators of websites, it's probably just as well to let this sleeping dog lie for now.

Anyone who is considering making a major purchase online would be well-advised to google the name of the company first.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 11/23/2014 :  21:04:51  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by DavidCrosby

...I won't know how it sets until the spring. I am sure it will be OK....My sail was one that they had in stock. They had it reduced 20% and I managed to get them to take another 5% off the price...

Why are you <u>sure</u> that it will be OK? When I look at complaints about cheap sailmakers, the #1 thing I see is complaints about wrong dimensions. Is there any way you can check its fit before spring?

I'd be concerned that the reason they had it in stock, and were willing to part with it for a reduced price, is because someone else returned it because they weren't satisfied.

Also, why did you go with a 100%? That's an oddball size for on a furler. For a C250 the standard sizes are 110 or 135. It raises my concern over the fact that it was "in stock," since it's not a size that anyone would want to keep in inventory.

I could be completely wrong about my concerns - in fact, I hope I am. Please let us know as soon as you've used it enough to let us know that you're satisfied or dissatisfied.

Edited by - TakeFive on 11/23/2014 21:05:50
Go to Top of Page

DavidCrosby
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
229 Posts

Response Posted - 11/24/2014 :  22:47:18  Show Profile  Visit DavidCrosby's Homepage
I have been sailing for over 40 years and racing for many of them. I have laid out both my old jib and new jib on top of each other in my basement. They are nearly identical in size. It will definitely fit. I have no doubt on this matter.

Regarding 100% vs. 110%, the sailmaker lists it as 100% on their site. Catalina says the J measurement is 9' 0." The foot of this sail and my original jib are both 9'5." Whether it is truly 100% or 110%, I don't really know for sure. The one thing I absolutely know is that I don't want a 135% sail on my C250. I am very happy with how my boat performs in light air and find that it quickly becomes over powered in about 13+ knots. So, I don't need more sail area. Also, I view the roller furling as all or nothing. To me roller furling is just an easy way to stow the jib.

I have wondered why they had the sail in stock. Lots of reasons have gone through my mind. I did not feel the need to ask why. I did have the ability to return the sail if I felt I had the need to do so.

I also did search the internet and looked at a lot of reviews. I asked the company's rep numerous questions and received very timely and proper responses.

I was pretty pleased with my purchase and felt like sharing. Hence my reason for posting on this forum. I am driven by price. As mentioned, I also quoted a kit from Sail Rite. I own a Sail Rite sewing machine and have done numerous projects and have restitched my jib and others over the years. I was very prepared to buy a kit and sew it together myself. In the end, I bought a complete, brand new sail for less than I could have bought a kit.

Does the fact that I bought a sail made in Hong Kong bother me? Absolutely not. I have bought Chinese sails for my daughters Lasers and they have been in use for several years now. Also, a couple of months ago, I raced on a Melges 24 with a brand new set of hi-tech, US name brand sails. Clearly emblazoned on the sailmakers patch it said, "Made in Sri Lanka."

When spring comes along, I will gladly report again on how I feel the sail sets.

That's my two cents.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Commodore
Russ Johnson

Members Avatar

USA
690 Posts

Response Posted - 11/25/2014 :  17:01:34  Show Profile
David,

I'm glad to hear you were happy with the delivery of your new sails.
It sounds like the sailmaker has made several improvements over the past few years.
Back in 2011, they requested all posts about the company be removed.
We would all like to hear how the sails perform in the spring.

Thanks, Russ

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 11/26/2014 :  05:08:17  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
Just about anyone on this forum that has in the past ordered a stock or custom sail from any mfr and then received it has generally had good things to say about their purchase and the performance of their specific sail. I suspect the same will be the case for you. The issue in question had more to do with not those that fall into the above category. if you get my drift.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

willy
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
422 Posts

Response Posted - 02/12/2015 :  17:21:51  Show Profile
4 folks on my pier including myself have had great luck with quality price and service from Bacon Sails in Annapolis.

Edgy, WB#655
Dewey Beach, DE
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page