Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Cruising Forum
 Planning Spring Cruise to SF
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sweetcraft
Admiral

Member Avatar

USA
816 Posts

Initially Posted - 11/18/2014 :  06:18:10  Show Profile
Plan now is gathering information of where is stay on San Francisco Bay for the month of April. Looking at Marinas in Alameda or Sausalito. Safe docks and parking of the truck and trailer is a factor. Would like a hoist launch rather than dip the trailer in the bay but a ramp with wash hose would work.
Any suggestions and also places we could visit? Is April the best month?

Edited by - on

Russ.Johnson
Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
833 Posts

Response Posted - 11/18/2014 :  17:48:35  Show Profile
Jim,
It kinda depends on what you want to see while you are here.
Alameda to Sausalito is a pretty big range.
I sent you an email.
Russ

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Russ.Johnson
Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
833 Posts

Response Posted - 11/18/2014 :  18:05:00  Show Profile
Hey Jim,

I noticed on your profile photo, you can use thumbnail or full-sized

Thumbnail:
http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a4d608b3127ccef6afbafaf85300000030O02AcsnLRq0cOAe3nwk/cC/f%3D0/ls%3D00800845492920140829211745206.JPG

Full-Sized
http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a4d608b3127ccef6afbafaf85300000030O02AcsnLRq0cOAe3nwk/cC/f%3D0/ls%3D00800845492920140829211745206.JPG/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 11/18/2014 :  19:42:19  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
But Better to use an image uploaded here

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sweetcraft
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
816 Posts

Response Posted - 11/19/2014 :  21:53:09  Show Profile
Looks like the vote is to find a place in Sausalito. More interest to enjoy shore places but also to sail on good days. Would like to have water to wash trailer after dip. Storage for trailer and truck with safe area is a feature I want.
Has anyone else used area for cruise?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Russ.Johnson
Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
833 Posts

Response Posted - 11/25/2014 :  15:26:54  Show Profile
Jim,
I found this link which may help.
www.boatingsf.com/region/sausalito

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stu Jackson C34
Admiral

Members Avatar

844 Posts

Response Posted - 11/26/2014 :  15:36:53  Show Profile
Russ told me about this thread. We keep our boat in Alameda, great cruising and it's only an hour to The Bay. Alameda Marina, where we kept both our C22 and C25 has great vehicle and trailer storage. There's a launch ramp right around the corner. You can always sail to Sausalito! :) If you haven't yet, buy Kimball Livingston's "Sailing The Bay," a great book and a must read for here.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Lee Panza
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
465 Posts

Response Posted - 11/27/2014 :  12:08:16  Show Profile  Visit Lee Panza's Homepage
Russ also alerted me to this one (thanks, Russ - helping members assist one another is one of the most valuable aspects of a users' forum).

Jim, I'm sure you're going to love SF Bay; world-renowned sailors consider it to be one of the greatest places to sail on the planet. And I'll +1 for Livingston's book.

Two things need to be kept in mind in all decisions regarding where to go or when: a) the daily tidal cycles produce substantial currents, and b) the breeze is usually from the west (except in Winter).

April brings some of our finest weather, although not necessarily for sailing. We usually get a period of a few days of hot, relatively still days. That's the closest we get to what most of the Country would consider actual summer conditions. Other than that brief few days, April is fine for sailing; mild temperatures and moderate breezes. The winter rains have (usually) ended, so it's one sunny day after another.

Usually our summer winds don't seriously get started until May, but that's when San Francisco Bay becomes a sailor's heaven. Mornings are balmy, but every afternoon - very predictably - the west wind moves in and within minutes it can build to the low-to-mid twenties. It's especially strong in two locations: the actual Golden Gate where the the Bay greets the Ocean, and the upper South Bay from Candlestick Point (where the former sports stadium is about to be demolished) down past San Francisco Int'l Airport to Coyote Point. Not coincidentally, these are the most popular spots for windsurfers.

The Golden Gate (with that famous bridge) also gets the strongest currents, because the entire Bay estuary (including the river deltas) flushes through there. When the afternoon wind meets a strong ebb current the strait itself, and the Central Bay downwind from there ("the slot"), can be pretty exhilarating. Brisk and bouncy!

Here's how those two factors affect your choice of a base-of-operations. Sausalito is an elongated shoreline stretching north from the inner mouth of the Golden Gate. While it can be pretty breezy in the afternoon, as soon as you get out of Richardson Bay you're right in the venturi of the slot, meaning some of our strongest winds. The Bridge was built here because it's the narrowest point between the SF Peninsula and the Marin Peninsula, so the currents are the strongest here as well. So getting back here, at the end of a day of exploring other parts of the Bay, can be a bit of a struggle (or a thrilling climax to the day, if you can maintain that perspective). It's a fairly lengthy trip in or out of Richardson Bay if you get a slip up toward the northern end, which would probably be financially appealing, but after beating your way back to Richardson Bay that final approach can be the opportunity to straighten-up and clean-up before getting back to the dock. Richardson Bay is a beautiful area, and Sausalito is one of the Bay Area's most interesting places to explore. From the "visitor" oriented shops near the southern end of Bridgeway to the more marine oriented and industrial firms near the northern end, there's a lot to see within walking distance of any of the marinas. Good repair facilities, too. Clipper has a couple of good ramps, and I think there's a boatyard there with a travel-lift. There's a wonderful Molly Stone's supermarket just up the road from the Clipper Harbor area, and I seem to remember some storage yards behind Molly Stone's.

The Oakland Estuary, which cuts Alameda Island off from the mainland, is more marine oriented, although a lot of the activity is shipping (large vessels) and supporting industrial. There are a number of restaurants with their own docks, and there are plenty of repair firms for us recreational boaters. Svendsen's Boat Works has a lift, lots of parking, and a great chandlery (as well as repair services) and there's a public ramp next door. The city of Alameda itself offers a lot of shopping, although it becomes more conventional as you get away from the waterfront. Alameda can be warmer than Sausalito, but one has to negotiate a long channel to get up to the Bay. As Stu casually mentioned, "...it's only an hour to The Bay." Upwind. Coming home, however, it's a broad reach from almost anywhere else back to the mouth of the Estuary and then a quiet downwind slide down the channel. Quiet, that is, except for the ships and the other boaters, and there can be a lot of the latter, especially when there are dinghy races or classes going on. Resist the temptation to raise the spin for that run.

Richmond might be another option to consider. Similar in may respects to the Alameda area but scaled-down.

There are other marinas and marina clusters that are less expensive for long-term docking, but Sausalito, Alameda and Richmond are probably best for just a few weeks' visit, in terms of location and facilities including shoreside activities.

By the way, there's a third factor one needs to keep in mind when sailing here. Much of the Bay is very shallow for a considerable distance from shore. Always consult the charts before acting on an impulse to "see what that is over there." This is a place where having a "cast iron depth finder" that can be cranked-up when needed can be helpful. Speaking from experience.

Where to go? Wow, the list would be too lengthy for here.

One of the high-points, however, might be the opportunity to sail out into the Pacific Ocean. Conditions in April might be favorable, and you can almost always count on a westerly breeze to get you back. Once the summer winds fill-in, however, it's probably a bit too "challenging" out there for a 25. The opposite end of the spectrum would be the Delta, where the Sacramento and San Joaquin rivers meander through placid channels - some of them tree-lined and sheltered. Very relaxing, although most travel would be motoring.

The Bay shoreline has a huge range of sightseeing, from the City Front with skyscrapers coming right to the wharves to the unspoiled shores of Angel Island. The cove between Yerba Buena Island and Treasure Island is a wonderful place to anchor overnight away from the urban action, and Angel Island itself (with a dock that should have spaces available other than on weekends) allows you to hike through what was here before westerners developed the Bay Area (and it offers incredible views of the Bay).

Damn... after re-reading all of the above I wanna get out there. But SailFlow is showing 3-4 mph northeasterlies, and I know they'll flatten down to zero by the time I'm on the water. Oh, well, there's supposed to be some weather coming in this weekend, so I guess I'll continue working on the boat today. Other than Thanksgiving dinner later.

When you get down here, Jim, let's connect and I can shoot some pix of you with some of the Bay landmarks behind you.

Hope this was helpful.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sweetcraft
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
816 Posts

Response Posted - 11/30/2014 :  10:47:48  Show Profile
We are coming to the Bay for sure. Thanks for the input. Yes we will enjoy the contact. I have had the Livingston Book for a long time and it is great to read.
Yes I have sailed on friends boats on the Bay but not mine. This will be a first. I have family history to relive which I will share. Grandpa was a lighthouse keeper. First during Relief at Point Bonita and his first commision at the Oakland Light. He was the boat builder and I picked up his interest.
This is a cruise I have looked forward too for a long time.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sweetcraft
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
816 Posts

Response Posted - 12/18/2014 :  22:05:24  Show Profile
I'm calling marinas in the Sausalito area and got turned down by Clipper Yacht Harbor as you have to be 32' to stay on your boat. Waiting for calls to be returned to find out if we can rent an other marina's slip.
Lee's information about bay sailing we might be dealing with strong winds in the afternoon returning to Sausalito. I haven't given up yet on finding a place in Sausalito but looking for a slip near a launch ramp and the place to park the trailer seem hard to put together. Problem is finding parking for the truck and trailer after launch and getting boat to a slip means I can't be in two places at the same time. leaving the boat at a courtesy dock unattended doesn't go over well while parking truck and trailer.
This planing is so I don't get into difficulties as I have before. I now have to do the driving, launching and sailing mostly by myself so I plan. Murphy's Law is also going to be there and those video cameras too.
The help with planing has been great. Suggestions of places to see and visit are growing. I have a file of many things which we hope to do but we have to get there. Did you know that you have to chain up the trailer in our snow conditions? I will wait for the roads to clear.
I did chain up to get to a regatta at Clear Lake one Spring.
The chance to meet up with Forum members is my hope too. Great info Lee as I go over your message. Thanks Russ getting this started. I will report the plan as it develops. Wonder where we will get a slip?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 12/18/2014 :  23:58:03  Show Profile
quote:
I'm calling marinas in the Sausalito area and got turned down by Clipper Yacht Harbor as you have to be 32' to stay on your boat.

Turned down???

Are you sure they didn't mean they were going to charge a minimum of 32' for transient dockage?

I've been to marinas that charge a minimum, but never been actually told I wasn't welcome, sheeesh.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 12/19/2014 :  07:08:00  Show Profile
It's a riff-raff issue...

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sweetcraft
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
816 Posts

Response Posted - 12/19/2014 :  20:45:03  Show Profile
I asked for a slip for the 25 for a month. Yes we plan to stay on the boat. Oh you have to be 32feet to stay aboard.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Lee Panza
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
465 Posts

Response Posted - 12/28/2014 :  08:53:31  Show Profile  Visit Lee Panza's Homepage
Here's an option to consider, Jim. At Oyster Point we have a nice double ramp and there's plenty of room at the dry storage yards about 1/4 mile away. They're fenced-in, lighted and generally secure.

You'd want to reserve a berth at a marina closer to the central Bay for easier access to the most interesting places to visit (I like it here for casual day sailing, because I can usually just reach back and forth rather than sailing up and down, but it's a couple of hours to hike up to the central Bay). Here are a couple of phone numbers for Drake Marine, who manage the storage yards:

650/222-7459
650/588-3015

If you decide to leave the truck & trailer here, tell them you need to be in the southern lot so I can keep an eye on them: I'm in space #142 and I'm there at least every Sat. & Sun. and sometimes an evening or two during the week as I continue on my "work-in-progress." BTW, I'm paying $100 per month, but you might have to pay for two spaces for the truck and trailer. OTOH, I could also give you a ride back to/from wherever you wind up berthing, so you could just rent a space for the trailer and park your truck at the marina you stay in.

Keep checking around, but at least this could be a fall-back option.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sweetcraft
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
816 Posts

Response Posted - 01/04/2015 :  20:10:18  Show Profile
Thanks Lee,it sure is discouraging as a trailer sailed. Yes we will pay but turned down because of size and short stay is a bummer. Your offer is great. I have sailed out from your place and it is very good. Working on the plan and will let you know what we will try.
Very cold now which slows up everything.
Jim

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page