Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Cruising Forum
 2015 Florida Get Together
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

britinusa
Web Editor

Member Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Initially Posted - 11/01/2014 :  05:23:55  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
According to the Boat Search Results, there are 95 of our boats in Florida. How about a 2015 Florida Get Together, a chance to meet up with other C25/250/Capris on their boats, on the water. Throw in a -BQ, boat tour, sail (it's not a race ), a general 'Get Together'

Let's start the ball rolling by voting for a general location.

If I had 2 votes, I would vote #1 Florida West Coast, #2 Biscayne Bay

Realistically we would trail to practically anywhere in Florida but central regions would be most reachable by the most participants.

And we need a name for the event - <b><i>The 2015 Catalina 25/250/Capri 25 Get Together</i></b> is a bit long winded, so come up with a clever name for the event.

See you there, whenever it is!

Paul

Edited by - on

jduck00
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
313 Posts

Response Posted - 11/01/2014 :  06:20:27  Show Profile
I'm being a little lazy in saying Tampa bay. Its just a days sail for me.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 11/01/2014 :  06:53:20  Show Profile
I no longer own a C25, but am still an association member. If you don't mind a boat with two hulls tagging along....

Why limit it to Florida? Invite everyone.

The west central coast of Florida is chock full of great anchorages, marinas, waterfront restaurants. The Catalina factory is here, along with Busch Gardens and it's a quick ride over to Disney, Sea World and Universal. One other great place to visit by boat is Caladesi Island. Only accessible by boat, it has a great marina and a superb beach.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 11/01/2014 :  07:12:10  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Davy, totally agree, open to all ( Catalina - 25's ).

Biscayne bay would be a great choice because of the amenities (lots of boat ramps, plenty truck/trailer parking and many anchorages etc.) But it's a long way for most, hence my #1 vote is the Florida West coast.

(if I wanted to go to didney i would have bought an RV )

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 11/01/2014 :  07:41:31  Show Profile
I'll double down on my suggestion for Caladesi Island State Park.

http://www.floridastateparks.org/caladesiisland/

C25/250/capri owners that can't bring a boat could come over to the island for the day on the ferry. The only downsides are 1) you will need screen covers for any opening ports, the no-see-ums are bad at dusk. 2) Boats need to be somewhat self-sufficient, there isn't any restaurant/bar and other than a gift shop with some small supplies, no store.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sdpinaz
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
193 Posts

Response Posted - 11/01/2014 :  07:57:26  Show Profile
Driving to FLA would be too much for me, but I would be interested in chartering a boat from near-by...

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 11/01/2014 :  12:48:59  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
no-seeums & Mosies are a major turn off for me. The rest of you would be fine! They will all be feeding on the Brit!

My wife refers to me (in the nicest way) as bug bait!

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 11/01/2014 :  12:51:36  Show Profile
I recall renting a C-25 in Biscayne Bay quite a few years back (2004, 2005?) and aside from it needing a good cleaning it was nicely equipped. Tampa Bays and the west coast are beautiful but SHALLOW, so a lot of care and chart knowledge have to be the rule for anyone unfamiliar with the area. Sounds like a great plan Paul.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 11/02/2014 :  14:00:49  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Just to encourage participation: How about Memorial Day Monday May 25th. 2015

If it were going to be on the West Florida Coast, then I would plan to trail over on the Friday and Launch. Spend Saturday, Sunday & Monday on the water and pull and trail home on Tuesday back to work on the Wednesday.

How about an Itinerary (please suggest additions or deletions)

Friday Arrival & Launch (or get their earlier)
Friday Evening: -BQ (on or off boats)

Saturday Morning: Breakfast on board.
Saturday Morning: Boat Tours - polish your stainless if you want. But show off what you want.
Saturday Lunchtime: head out for some sailing. Maybe swap crews.
Saturday Evening: Anchor raft up - let the sea stories flow.
Sunday Morning: Breakfast on board.
Sunday Morning: Sail to lunch hook.
Sunday Lunch: on the hook - Photo Shoot
Sunday After lunch: Sail to anchorage.
Sunday Evening: on the hook, maybe near enough a shore to grab a bite-n-beer.
Monday Morning: Breakfast - Share the bread.
Monday Morning: Sailing back to the ramps.
Monday Evening: Wrap up dinner/-BQ, perhaps some awards (Furthest boats, Ugliest Shirt, Smelliest Head, ...)
Tuesday: pull and head home.

The ball is rolling! And of course we would need a bad weather option or two.

Maybe Through Tuesday is untenable, pipe up!

Just some ideas.
Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 11/02/2014 :  21:05:04  Show Profile
quote:
The ball is rolling! And of course we would need a bad weather option or two.

I’ll throw out another west coast Florida suggestion.

My favorite anchorage on Florida’s west coast is Longboat Pass. I’ve sailed down the coast from Tampa Bay to Key West, and of all those, this place is my favorite. You can dinghy to the beach or the sand flats, there are two restaurants’ and a public boat ramp. You can bring your dinghy right up to the shore at the Mar-Vista or tie up to the dock at Moore’s stone crab. You can sail the protected waters of Sarasota Bay or head out into the Gulf of Mexico for ocean sailing.

Boats could launch anywhere from Sarasota, up to Anna Maria Island/ Bradenton and be there within a couple of hours.

Links:

https://www.flseagrant.org/anchorage/anchorage_site_detail.php?site=Longbeach

http://marvista.groupersandwich.com/

http://www.stonecrab.cc/

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 11/02/2014 :  21:39:47  Show Profile
Just a suggestion: Make boats optional--people required! Pick a restaurant and a time... Enjoy meeting your fellow sailors face-to-face and talking about your boats and experiences. Towing or long-distance sailing should be totally optional (and would limit the participation). Whatever subset wants to do a cruise to somewhere else, go for it. But to me, if everyone just gets on their own boats to sail around, the "rendezvous" time is almost of diminished value. The people are what matter--we already know what the boats are, and time is always a limiting factor.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 11/03/2014 :  04:46:36  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Davy J:
Assuming those of us that bring our boats (See SP's post) will need to store their truck and trailer; Is there a location to store them, securely, for 4 nights?

Dave B. Totally agree with it being open and boats optional. From my point of view, we just don't get enough time under sail (too much time on the trailer). So setting up the location to include a get together ashore not only encourages more participation but puts the majority of attendees in one location. Just not a rubber chicken thingy.

Things on the very early ToDoList:
.. Launch Location with plenty of secure truck & trailer parking & a ramp (or two )
.. Date - no comments yet -
.. Get the word out - perhaps an article in the Mainsheet(s)
.. Talk with Catalina - they may still be interested in how we are doing

I have setup a new post to act as a [url="http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=28787"]participation list[/url] and ask people to post if they are considering attending. Let's keep the organization issues here.

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 11/03/2014 :  05:57:22  Show Profile
quote:
Just a suggestion: Make boats optional--people required

This is one of the reasons I suggested Caladesi Island. People could attend without a boat, come to the island on the ferry. And once there, would be able to visit anyone who brings a boat right at the marina. Also there are large pavilions for a group cookout/meet-up. Of course any large marina could probably accomplish the same thing.

quote:
Assuming those of us that bring our boats (See SP's post) will need to store their truck and trailer; Is there a location to store them, securely, for 4 nights?

It has been many years but I have launched my power boat at these two locations and while not fenced in seem pretty secure. Both ramps are heavily used.

This one would be convienent to Caladesi:

http://www.myclearwater.com/gov/depts/marine_aviation/ma_facilities/boat.asp

This one would close to Longboat Pass:

https://www.scgov.net/parks/Pages/CentennialPark.aspx

Many marinas also have boat ramps and I can check which ones are good. For example, the marina were I keep my boat has a ramp, but it's not a very good one.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 11/03/2014 :  07:35:04  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Davy J

I no longer own a C25, but am still an association member. If you don't mind a boat with two hulls tagging along....
That's funny--"tagging along"... If only you could slow down enough!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 11/03/2014 :  08:07:36  Show Profile
quote:
That's funny--"tagging along"... If only you could slow down enough!

Well, we have had the boat up to 11.5 knots on a beam reach.........

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 11/03/2014 :  12:29:30  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
[url="https://www.google.com/maps/dir/198+Seminole+St,+Clearwater,+FL+33755/Pompano+Beach,+FL+33063/@27.228555,-82.6470543,473607m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x88c2f121abd44435:0xe82790be6d78b526!2m2!1d-82.8018662!2d27.9741162!1m5!1m1!1s0x88d904bf84ba5953:0x6958787ffe04cd12!2m2!1d-80.2042436!2d26.2551386"]Clearwater (map)[/url] is about 5 hours from us, very doable.

[url="https://www.google.com/maps/dir/1059+N+Tamiami+Trail,+Sarasota,+FL+34236/Pompano+Beach,+FL+33063/@27.3460386,-82.5483343,231m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x88c34008fd36858b:0x8ed41ff12958e86b!2m2!1d-82.548439!2d27.347179!1m5!1m1!1s0x88d904bf84ba5953:0x6958787ffe04cd12!2m2!1d-80.2042436!2d26.2551386"]Longboat (map)[/url] is nearer 4hours.

[url="https://www.google.com/maps/place/Dade+County+Marina+Black+Point/@25.5385372,-80.3274918,469m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x88d9c4d1a0bcbdc7:0xd8fb1de4630e39bc"]FYI, here's the Black Point Marina in Miami (map)[/url]

Paul

Edited by - britinusa on 11/03/2014 12:30:10
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 11/03/2014 :  12:33:05  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
FYI, here in South East Florida, the issue with ramps is parking overnight, many do not permit it at all, many have limits on the number of hours.

So overnight parking for 4 nights would be a must. (for some of us )

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 11/07/2014 :  15:47:10  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Right now I'm favoring the West Florida Coast.

Looking for someone that might lead us to a Local Sailing Club where we could meet up at some point.

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 11/11/2014 :  03:54:40  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
A few more details:
This is a Free Event! (Pay your own way etc.)
This event is open to any C25, C250, or Capri 25 owner and their family.

BYOB (Bring your own boat) or Stay on a buddy boat, or stay local or don't stay just visit

This could be the largest G2G of 25' Catalinas in Florida EVER!

If you have any local (West Coast of Florida) knowledge, share it here.

More info coming soon... let us know if you are considering attending [url="/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=28787"]Click here it you might attend[/url]

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 11/23/2014 :  08:25:09  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
I have contacted both Clearwater and Sarasota about the event looking for suitability and availability.

Both launch facilities appear to be suitable.

Still hoping to get over there during the St. Pete boat show weekend.
Anyone going to be there during that weekend??

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 11/23/2014 :  10:00:47  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Some Basics:

This event has nothing to do with the Association - ie. Those of us participating accept the responsibility for our boat and not others.

This event is FREE - there is no fee to participate although attendees may have to pay parking/launch ramp fees as required.

This event is OPEN - Any Catalina 25, 250 or Capri 250 and their owners can participate.

This event is Voluntary - anyone that support or provides any service to encourage participation in this event does so as a Volunteer without recourse - It is what it is - enjoy it safely.

Participants are each responsible for the safety of their boat, their crew and their respect for other participants. Be Safe. Be Considerate. Be happy.

This event may be cancelled due to anything. Bad Weather, Insufficient participants, Local Disasters. But all participants will be welcomed.

BYOB - Bring your own Boat

BYS - Bring yourself if you don't bring your boat

SLB - Support Local businesses - and let them know that you are here with the Catalina Florida G2G- Florida needs to know when sailors are patronizing their businesses.

If you have not signed up yet, please report in [url="/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=28787"]here[/url]

Thanks.

Paul

Edited by - britinusa on 11/23/2014 10:02:40
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 11/26/2014 :  09:50:09  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
I spoke with a City Rep from Clearwater.

The parking is $6.00 per day per vehicle.

There is not a lot of parking, so the early birds get the spots.

Obviously the lot will be busy on Memorial Day... that goes for every ramp/park in Florida.

Some boats will be arriving by trailers, others by water.

There is quite a bit to see around the area and there is another ramp not far from the Seminole ramp, more details coming.

We need folks to start to let us know they will attend. So if you are planning on being there, please [url="http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=28787"]post[/url] on the other page.

Thanks.

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 11/26/2014 :  10:09:11  Show Profile
quote:
Obviously the lot will be busy on Memorial Day... that goes for every ramp/park in Florida.

If you are leaning to Caladesi Island State Park, (which I think would be a good spot), it can get very busy and possibly fill up on Memorial day weekend. Reservations, well in advance, will be needed.

quote:
We need folks to start to let us know they will attend. So if you are planning on being there, please post on the other page.

I'm sure more folks will chime in after their winter slumber.......

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 11/26/2014 :  22:23:15  Show Profile
OK, so the date seems to be Memorial Day weekend 2015 but the venue is not set? Or has the Clearwater area been decided on?

Edited by - Voyager on 11/26/2014 22:24:48
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 11/27/2014 :  06:25:54  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Date: Yes, Memorial Day Weekend 2014
Location: West Coast of Florida - exact location not set yet, but Clearwater (Seminole) and Sarasota are looking really good. A few miles either way should not be a big deal for boats arriving by water and even less for trailed boats.

I'm looking for Member Pics of the area.

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

jduck00
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
313 Posts

Response Posted - 04/15/2015 :  18:38:30  Show Profile
Hey Paul, I know this is an older post, but did anything ever come together?

Jeremy Duck
The Lucky Duck
1980 SKSR Hull # 1850
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page