Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Elec bilge pump.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Akenumber
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
247 Posts

Initially Posted - 10/27/2014 :  18:22:32  Show Profile
I have read most of the past threads on installing an electric bilge pump. I don't recall seeing any comments on plumbing the electric pump discharge hose behind the manual pump. With some sort of tee and possibly a check valve. It would simplify the install and give some redundancy. Any thoughts?

Edited by - on

capelyddol
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
62 Posts

Response Posted - 10/30/2014 :  20:15:05  Show Profile  Visit capelyddol's Homepage
Yes, I've been scratching my head over this one, too. Does it require a completely new system from pump to thru-hull? I suppose it would be relatively simple to take out the manual pump and utilize the hoses and fittings for the electric one, but it's always better to have two strings to one's bow, in case of a flat battery, etc.. A 'T' piece into the discharge hose aft of the manual pump would likely require some sort of one way valve to prevent either pump returning flow to the other. Some of the threads here suggest simply attaching the electric pump to the end of the manual pump's hose in the bilge. Apparently, both work okay doing it that way. If so, it seems the simplest route to take - but, as is so often the case, others disagree.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 10/30/2014 :  21:26:31  Show Profile
Check the General Forum--a current active topic. There is not a consensus... unless you check elsewhere around the internet.

ABYC (who sets safety standards for boat manufacturers) specifies no check valves in an electric bilge pump system. A manual pump contains two check valves--that's how it works.

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 10/30/2014 21:51:22
Go to Top of Page

WesAllen
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
222 Posts

Response Posted - 10/30/2014 :  22:52:29  Show Profile
I agree with Dave. I put another exit flange in the transom for the electric pump. Maybe redundant but my peace of mind not having to deal with a stuck check valve from some piece of dirt or what ever in the bilge.(I know everybody has a really clean bilge) My 2 cents worth isn't much I know.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

hewebb
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
761 Posts

Response Posted - 10/31/2014 :  02:20:55  Show Profile
When I installed mine I ran a separate discharge hose. I installed a check valve-it stuck during a test so I removed it. I placed the discharge in the cockpit so I could see if it came on. Not sure that was a good idea or not, however the cockpit drains will handle what the pump can put out. Power is from battery #2 direct from battery with in-line fuse. Manual switch is beside companionway stair in galley sink cabinet. Pump is mounted to a bracket screwed to the bilge.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Akenumber
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
247 Posts

Response Posted - 10/31/2014 :  05:45:48  Show Profile
I was also thinking of possibly putting it in the cockpit. A lot less likely to siphon water back to the bilge.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

capelyddol
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
62 Posts

Response Posted - 10/31/2014 :  20:57:12  Show Profile  Visit capelyddol's Homepage
I'm going to scratch my head a bit longer on this one. The boat's tarped up for the winter now anyway. I inherited a hand lift pump with this boat and it's much more efficient than the installed Catalina one. I may even consider having two electric pumps and just 'T'-ing them into the manual's pipework, once I've removed the original pump and its offending check valves. The Whale SuperSub Smart IC 1100 (among others) comes with a built in non-return valve which should prevent one pump simply forcing water back out through the other.

Or, maybe, just a couple of self-bailers through the bottom of the hull.

Edited by - capelyddol on 10/31/2014 20:57:59
Go to Top of Page

sailorbaz
1st Mate

Members Avatar

Australia
26 Posts

Response Posted - 11/01/2014 :  00:03:27  Show Profile
The system on my boat is the original hand pump in the cockpit with a large capacity pump under the galley drawers which is teed into the outlet hose from the manual pump. Sorry can't remember the capacity of the electric pump but it's there in case a seacock fails and hopefully would cope till I got a bung in! This pump is switched on and off manually.
I also have a Whale Supersub fixed to a piece of plastic chopping board which in turn is fixed with a s/s angle under the access point in the galley floor. The outlet for this is a second separate one in the transom. It's wired to an auxiliary switch panel with on, off and auto - I leave it on auto all the time. But it doesn't do anything as I now have a dry boat.
When the boat was out of the water earlier this year, I had the chance to test the system.
My boat has had the keel hanger system modified by a PO - the hangers are held by long bolts which go through from under the cabin sole and the port forward locker in the dinette. They are sealed with Sikaflex so when we replaced the bolts we tested by filling the bilge with water. When we were sure they were sealed we pumped the water out by using all three systems in turn. They all worked perfectly - the pump teed into the manual line did not feed back through manual pump and there is no check valve in the system other than those in the manual pump.
Hope this helps
Sailorbaz

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page