Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 weather and lee helm?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jan Briede
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
162 Posts

Initially Posted - 10/25/2014 :  18:05:02  Show Profile
Had a great sail today in the lower Chesapeake Bay around the mouth of the York River (will post something on my blog soon about the sail once the pictures are backed up). However, I have this strange thing going on:

Sailing on port tack I have a nice pleasant weather helm (which I figure you always need); however, on starboard tack I have lee helm.

I am wondering what the cause of this might be (for example is my mast really perpendicular to the boat?).

Does any one have any suggestions?

Thanks.

Jan

Edited by - on

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 10/25/2014 :  18:48:29  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Sounds like a standing rigging issue.

Are your shrouds equally tensioned?

paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 10/25/2014 :  20:20:02  Show Profile
A simple way to figure out whether your mast is vertical athwartship (port-to-starboard), which could explain your experience, is to lower a halyard so you can touch its shackle to a stanchion on one side and then see if it touches the same stanchion on the other side with the same tension.

Another possibility is growth on the bottom... If you have a significant patch of barnacles on one side of the hull or keel, that could do it. The drag will be to the same side on either tack.

One more question: Does your boat sit vertically at rest, such that the boot stripe amidships is equally above the surface on both sides? Most C-25s don't have too much trouble with this because they have a relatively narrow beam, and the designers did a pretty good job of balancing the interior. The outboards, even as switched from one side to the other, are close enough to the center-line as to have no significant effect.

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 10/25/2014 20:28:22
Go to Top of Page

Jan Briede
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
162 Posts

Response Posted - 10/26/2014 :  09:00:12  Show Profile
Thanks Paul and Dave, I will try that. Planning to pull the boat late winter/early spring for a cleaning and new bottom paint.
This group has always been a great source of information/advise ... kind of my second (virtual) marina/yacht club.
Again thanks!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 10/26/2014 :  10:37:11  Show Profile
OH!! And don't lose the other end of the halyard (unless you're taking the mast down imminently)!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page