Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Sailing a Catalina 25 is a past memory
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Frank Law
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
159 Posts

Initially Posted - 10/25/2014 :  11:33:54  Show Profile
It is with regrets that I will will sail " ABOUT TIME " never again. I have sold her to the Marina where she has been on the hard . I have enjoyed this forum , learning so much about the Catalina 25 ,sailing in general and some life lessons also . There is so much knowledge here and you guys share it easily always helping out with your opinions and counter opinions
I started sailing on a kit built "GP 14 " in 1960 which I bought used. Never having been on a sailboat in my life , It was a real learning experience that I continued to enjoy to this day.. Two other 14'ers followed by a Mariner 19 and then a Catalina 22 and then "ABOUT TIME" in 2001 .
The sailing Community has always proved to be a great group of people no matter the size of the boat .(some egos have been forgotten) So I will be joining the Admiralty group but still lurking around . I will be posting some items that I did not sell with the boat on the swap meet. I have a 18' center console and a Sunfish kayak, canoe and dink still to play with.
Fair Winds , Sunny skies and right of ways to all.

Frank Law
About Time "
#3519 1983

Edited by - on

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 10/25/2014 :  14:55:50  Show Profile
Frank:

All the best -- this community is a collaboration of everyone -- thank YOU for all you have contributed! . . . . . and enjoy the finest sailing experience possible, being a guest on someone else's fine vessel.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 10/25/2014 :  15:35:27  Show Profile
We who have sold are all lucky to have owned our boats.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 10/25/2014 :  20:41:24  Show Profile
I "second Frank's emotion"... and will add that the Sunfish, in my estimation, might be about the most fun someone can have using the wind! I wish I had a good way to keep one now! I've sailed one in squall conditions where I was skipping across the water like a flat rock, and could barely get the dagger-board up as I approached the beach because of the pressure on it!

Welcome to the Admiralty!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 10/26/2014 :  15:51:33  Show Profile
Best wishes, Frank, in your new endeavors, sailing or otherwise. Join us in the admiralty forum.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

capelyddol
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
62 Posts

Response Posted - 10/26/2014 :  20:25:39  Show Profile  Visit capelyddol's Homepage
Wow! A 'GP 14' was my first sailboat back in 1960's Britain. It's the first time I've heard one mentioned in the US. Didn't even know they existed over here. A '14' on a plane was something else. I haven't been around this forum long enough to know what the 'Admiralty' group is, but I'll certainly look out for it. Thanks for bringing back a fond memory, Frank.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 10/27/2014 :  06:16:44  Show Profile
<< I have a 18' center console >>

Yepper... there is life after sailing.. ( although a [url="http://rayswords.com/temp/141027_big_boat.jpg"]Different Life[/url])

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 10/27/2014 :  12:13:33  Show Profile
Yup... [url="http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a4ce06b3127cc7f5cc08c9504c00000010O08QatXLNw3ag9u3Ho/cC/f%3D0/ls%3D00005780395520141027191210282.JPG/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/?tn=-1907111274"]Different[/url]!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Frank Law
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
159 Posts

Response Posted - 10/29/2014 :  08:16:30  Show Profile
John---- The GP 14 had a large following in the Philadelphia area in the 1960's possibly in the 70's, 80's Ive lost touch.. The GP-14 class was invited to the local yacht clubs to join in there big races most of the clubs at the South Jersey Shore took turns with these races .. Sometimes we would have 25 boats on the starting line some wood and some fiberglass . I believe the International race was held in Cape May N.J. one year.. I recently saw one being restored at the Chesapeake Bay Museum in ST. MIchaels MD.

FRank Law

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

capelyddol
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
62 Posts

Response Posted - 10/30/2014 :  15:11:06  Show Profile  Visit capelyddol's Homepage
I never knew the old 'GP' was so popular in the States. I owned two of Jack Holt's boats (though not at the same time) - a GP 14, and his slightly smaller, but somewhat livelier creation, the Enterprise. In those days they were wooden construction, and if I remember rightly, the sail number of my GP was somewhere in the 1000's. The Enterprise was in the 100's! Now they're both in the tens of thousands! I only wish I was young and fit enough to sail such beasts again.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

worane
1st Mate

Members Avatar

Australia
36 Posts

Response Posted - 11/01/2014 :  04:41:20  Show Profile
Thank you Frank, for your advice and well thoughtout comments in the past .
I'm sure you will be missed. Don't be a stranger.
Regards Nick.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page