Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 OT - GoPro Videos
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Initially Posted - 10/19/2014 :  20:49:59  Show Profile
I decided to try a new way of looking at my rigging up top without climbing the mast.

Here's a short video I filmed on Saturday using a 23' pole I purchased at Lowe's along with another 4' pole I also purchased at Lowe's. I was standing on the dock while filming.

The pole is pretty flexible when fully extended which is why it was waving around at 1st. With a little practice you can find the balance point and control some of the flex. Shortening it up even a little takes most of the flex out.

Not the greatest video but I wasn't trying for perfection, just a 1st go at it to see if it would even work.

The videos a little shaky but I have 3 different areas where I did a freeze frame so you could look at the various components.

My hard drive is almost full so I had to edit the video in low resolution to get it to fit on my drive. When I get a new driver I'll try to reload using a higher resolution.

Overall, the results were not too bad for a 1st attempt.

Halyard go to the top of the mast? Attach a coat hanger to the end of the pole along with the GoPro, use the GoPro app on your cell phone to see what the camera is seeing live, and it shouldn't be too hard to snag the halyard on the 1st or 2nd try!

Need to inspect those sheaves? Tilt the camera down and look down on the top of the mast head.

Want to see a mast with some bow in it. Go to 1:28 in the video, stop the video, and look at the mast on the boat just past the empty slip.

http://youtu.be/uOdSx_a8euk

Edited by - GaryB on 10/19/2014 21:10:03

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 10/21/2014 :  06:13:39  Show Profile
Sweet... very nice way to have a look... Interesting way the stay ends are secured...

I need to drop mine and inspect under the boots.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 10/22/2014 :  04:13:16  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
Gary,

Looks like you are developing reasons for us all to now add Go-Pros to our list of boating accessories ! Like the view ! Sort of a drone on a stick view.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 10/22/2014 :  05:03:44  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Pole cams are the way to go (no risk of losing the camera!)

here's the one I took on our last trip on [url="http://youtu.be/KdBas2JYOL8"]you tube.[/url]

paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Jan Briede
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
162 Posts

Response Posted - 10/22/2014 :  07:25:36  Show Profile
Very nice.
Paul is that an Olympus waterproof camera? Would love to see how you attached it to the boat hook. Guess you can not be sure what you are taking pictures off until you download it or push playback. I've seem go-pros where you can watch the scene on your phone, but then the only go-pro movies a guy at our yacht club takes are wide angle, which are great, but a bit much at times.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

panhead1948
Captain

Members Avatar

345 Posts

Response Posted - 10/22/2014 :  15:33:02  Show Profile
Gary what type of furler do you have, and do you like it ?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 10/22/2014 :  18:33:24  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by panhead1948

It's a Harken Mark IV and I have to say it is the best investment I've made since I bought the boat.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 10/23/2014 :  03:09:20  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Yes, it's an Olympus Tough which claims to be waterproof to 15m.

<center>
The Pole Cam
The camera mini tripod is held with Velcro to our Boat hook pole. This allows easy aiming of the cam over a wide range. The Camera is tied to a cord that is attached to my wrist while I take pics. Just in case :</center>

paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 10/23/2014 :  15:16:53  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by GaryB

quote:
Originally posted by panhead1948

It's a Harken Mark IV and I have to say it is the best investment I've made since I bought the boat.

We love our Harken Mark I

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page