Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 RVing in a Catalina 25
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

keithsinger
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
29 Posts

Initially Posted - 10/18/2014 :  03:39:23  Show Profile  Visit keithsinger's Homepage
I'm currently road tripping in Arizona with my wife and young children towing our Catalina 25. This is the second short vacation that we have camped in the sailboat on its trailor without actually putting it into the water at any point in the trip.

Edited by - on

sdpinaz
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
193 Posts

Response Posted - 10/18/2014 :  06:17:48  Show Profile
Where in AZ are you going? Well, if you make your way through Flagstaff, feel free to stop on by! The fall colors are amazing right now and you could join us for a hike in the aspens. Did you ever figure out the mystery source to the water in your bilge after San Diego?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 10/18/2014 :  11:10:30  Show Profile
Did you leave the stick behind?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

capelyddol
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
62 Posts

Response Posted - 10/18/2014 :  20:29:03  Show Profile  Visit capelyddol's Homepage
I'm glad it's a wing keel. If I used my fin keel that way I'd need to have a ten-foot stepladder hanging out the truck!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

keithsinger
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
29 Posts

Response Posted - 10/18/2014 :  20:35:47  Show Profile  Visit keithsinger's Homepage
We only made it as far north as Sedona. Never thought I'd be staying at the Rancho Sedona RV park in a sailboat, but now I have. It was nice. Very cozy. Autumn leaves falling on the sailboat as we slept. This morning we hiked with the toddler and the baby in the specular red rocks landscape, then enjoyed a grest Vietnamese lunch. For this family at this time, it was a better choice than going out on the water. We intended on going sailing, so we kept all the equipment on the boat, including the mast. We are spending the night tonight at Lake Pleasant. The solar system charged the batteris the whole time and is running the forward fan keeping the wife and kids cool tonight. I haven't figured out the water intrusion yet. This trip was supposed to test that but we never made into the water. Our toddler has been asking tonight when we are going to put the boat in the water. Previously I would have said she doesn't care, but she instructed us to put the boat into the water as soon as we arrived at the lake tonight, so she clearly is cognizant of the difference between rving in the sailboat and sailing in it. This trip has been ok, but I think I prefer actual sailing adventures. For just a few days, with little kids, it was safer and easier to rv it in the sailboat - and the food was much better overall. Never worried about dragging anchor or wind. Didn't have to raise and lower the mast...

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sweetcraft
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
816 Posts

Response Posted - 10/18/2014 :  20:50:11  Show Profile
Thanks for your trip report. We did this in the early years and did get some looks in the campground. Our ladder has been carried on the trailer threaded with a all-thread bolt and after we are aboard for the night we pull the ladder up along the deck for security. Everyone then feels safe.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page