Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Unused Thru-hull
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sdpinaz
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
193 Posts

Initially Posted - 09/30/2014 :  08:15:15  Show Profile
What do you do to a thru-hull that is not connected to anything?

So I have decided to try a composting toilet and eliminate the holding tank and free up some space. I am not on the boat that often and when I am, it is not for more than a coupla days, and then when I drive home, I store the boat on the trailer next to the house and the kids camp out on it, not to mention that half the year it freezes overnight..... Anyway so I would like to try out a composting toilet for a while.
I still want to keep the thru-hull for a while incase I go back to a holding tank and the original setup. I have removed the holding tank and the hoses and so there is nothing attached to it. What should I do to make the thru-hull safe for a year or so while I try out the composting toilet?
Thanks

Edited by - on

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 09/30/2014 :  09:39:51  Show Profile
IMHO

Stick a rubber cork in it from the outside.. mark it .. cut it off so it will seat flush and reinsert.

Then do the same inside with a short hose and double hose clamp.

Edited by - redeye on 09/30/2014 09:41:59
Go to Top of Page

sdpinaz
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
193 Posts

Response Posted - 09/30/2014 :  10:54:58  Show Profile
Ray,
you don't know how many times someone has told me to stick a rubber cork in it.....

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 10/01/2014 :  07:38:38  Show Profile
Oh.. and close the valve, with no water in the line.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

capelyddol
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
62 Posts

Response Posted - 10/22/2014 :  19:45:34  Show Profile  Visit capelyddol's Homepage
Useful advice. I've just done a similar thing in my boat - taken out the old Jabsco head and holding tank. I've opted for a Dometic 975MSD porta-potti to replace it, at least temporarily. I know they've had some bad reviews regarding the pressurized flush pump but I'm hoping they've fixed the problem by now. My marina has no facility for emptying porta-pottis and we have a septic system at home so I didn't fancy pouring nasty chemicals down the house toilet, so it had to be a pump out version and the only one I could find was the Dometic.
Like Scott I'm left with a redundant thru-hull. I guess it's a trip down the rubber bung shop. My boat's been out the water ten plus years, so what's bothering me more is whether the thru-hull sealant has cracked, causing it to leak when it goes back in come spring.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 10/23/2014 :  03:51:46  Show Profile
<< causing it to leak when it goes back in come spring. >>

Ya might put some creeping crack cure on it.

http://www.captaintolley.com/

Edited by - redeye on 10/23/2014 03:55:20
Go to Top of Page

sdpinaz
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
193 Posts

Response Posted - 10/23/2014 :  06:16:13  Show Profile
incidentally, I received the C-Head in the mail on Monday. I will install it this weekend and write a post-up with photos when I do. Then I am using it nonstop for 2 weeks in December. I will post my thoughts on it in January.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 10/23/2014 :  07:45:09  Show Profile
The original "thru-hulls" (more appropriately named "to-hulls") in the 1978 and other early vintages are very problematic. They are bronze pipes held only by a "mushroom" of epoxy on the inside of the hull, with no exterior support like you have with a proper thru-hull fitting. They have been known to develop leaks and even disintegrate. I'd eliminate it altogether, permanently, as discussed in many threads here. If you decide later to have a thru-hull, install a new one the right way--with a bronze or Marelon mushroom on the outside and a screw-down collar against a backing plate on the inside, with a proper marine ball-valve.

Capt. Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure is not intended to prevent boats from sinking.

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 10/23/2014 07:47:47
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 10/23/2014 :  08:25:58  Show Profile
I pee in juice bottles which get thrown away when I leave the boat. My porta-potty has a commode liner, (single use with absorbent pad in them), in the bowl which can be stored in a container until we leave the boat. I hope your composter works well for you, I sail on a lake so long term containment is not a problem for me.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sdpinaz
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
193 Posts

Response Posted - 10/23/2014 :  17:57:04  Show Profile
Thanks Dave for the reminder here that the to-hulls are crap and should be replaced ASAP. here is the thru-hull I have been talking about....

Frank, I am very impressed with the C-head so far. it seperates the urine into a gallon milk jug to be tossed like your juice bottles. it seems simple,easy to clean, and not over complicated like some toilets I researched. I will let you know more in January.....

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 10/23/2014 :  18:22:03  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by pastmember

I pee in juice bottles which get thrown away when I leave the boat. My porta-potty has a commode liner, (single use with absorbent pad in them), in the bowl which can be stored in a container until we leave the boat. I hope your composter works well for you, I sail on a lake so long term containment is not a problem for me.

We've got two indoor cats that go through cat litter like crazy so I use one of these

inside one of these painted in camo for transportation purposes.

Take it home each time and enjoy no pump out fees, it's non-spillable, and if wanted reusable with a little soap and water. I usually just dump it and throw it away.

Edited by - GaryB on 10/23/2014 18:28:03
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 10/23/2014 :  18:56:04  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by sdpinaz

Thanks Dave for the reminder here that the to-hulls are crap and should be replaced ASAP. here is the thru-hull I have been talking about...
That's the right stuff! Glad to see it.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page