Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Cable is slipping
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JPS109
Deckhand

Member Avatar

20 Posts

Initially Posted - 09/27/2014 :  14:21:23  Show Profile
When I was cranking up my keel, the cable slipped a bit. The keel dropped a little, then I was able to crank it all the way up. Is it secure it the up position? What do I need to replace?
Thanks,
Jim

Edited by - on

jduck00
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
313 Posts

Response Posted - 09/27/2014 :  18:51:48  Show Profile
Most likely the winch. It sounds like the clutch is slipping. I don't know if you can get new friction disks for the original winches. Mine did that.... While trying to load the boat on the trailer so I went ahead and replaced the whole thing with a new one from CD. Don't let it go. Its definitely something you need to get fixed.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Ape-X
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
662 Posts

Response Posted - 09/28/2014 :  05:14:30  Show Profile
huh, I have never seen the winch, so wasn't aware of a clutch....my only contribution would be check that it wasn't a cable shifting on the drum as well ( a much less concerning issue). If the cable winds over top of itself in one location, the top may eventually slide off to one side, which would create a small drop. Our marina has that issue with the jib crane, we must be mindful of how the cable winds so that it doesn't create that skipping motion. Always disconcerting when a mast or person is up there....

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

jduck00
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
313 Posts

Response Posted - 09/28/2014 :  12:09:15  Show Profile
Here's a link to a very similar winch that CD sells. You can see the friction disk in this picture. If its worn like mine was, it can cause issues. I couldn't find a replacement for the original winch and didn't trust myself to fab something close.

http://www.boathoistusastore.com/store2browseproduct/31177/dlb-1500-lb-capacity-brake-winch

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

jerlim
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1484 Posts

Response Posted - 09/28/2014 :  17:27:57  Show Profile
The keel winch is not the place to save a few bucks...get the right replacement.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

jduck00
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
313 Posts

Response Posted - 09/29/2014 :  07:52:53  Show Profile
Just for clarity, I posted the picture for a visual. I wouldn't recommend getting any other winch than the CD replacement. Even being purposed for the boat, it still takes some work to install. The link was just the best image I could find that actually showed the friction disk.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

JPS109
Deckhand

Members Avatar

20 Posts

Response Posted - 09/29/2014 :  08:51:46  Show Profile
Rather than waiting for the keel to drop, I ordered a new winch from CD today. I'm not sure if I can re-use the cylinder that attaches to the winch handle, so I ordered a new handle and cylinder as well...can return it if I don't need it. With shipping, everything was under $300. Not bad for some peace of mind.

Thanks for your comments/suggestions.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Frank Law
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
159 Posts

Response Posted - 10/04/2014 :  19:02:21  Show Profile
The pivot pin hole on the keel was worn egg shaped and had two distinct lobes where the keel would rest.. The only time I noticed anything was when I was lowering the keel and it would slide from one lobe to the other with a small bump.. I enlarged the pin hole and epoxyed a custom made sleeve into the hole . good as new

Frank Law
About Time
1983 3519
SWK , SR

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page