Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Main Sheet Replacement
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RAG Sailor
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
144 Posts

Initially Posted - 09/24/2014 :  12:09:55  Show Profile
Well, I got a good year out of my mainsheet but knew when I bought RSII that I would need to change it out. What I have now appears to be a Samson Trophy (double) Braid - blue. I'm just guessing at this as the PO only had the boat a few years and didn't do any line changes he could inform me about. My web searches come back to me as this brand line has a "fluffy" feel.

I'm definitely a cruiser and enjoy the feel of a soft line. In searching for the replacement, all I can find is Trophy Braid. Is there another manufacturer who makes this type of line (soft feel) too? I'm a shopper and like to see my choices before I settle. Thanks, y'all!

Edited by - on

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 09/24/2014 :  17:45:39  Show Profile
Trophy braid is a wonderful sheet but it has too much friction for a mainsheet. You want a smooth cover so it will play out.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 09/24/2014 :  18:36:12  Show Profile
It might be Regatta Braid,Nice on your hands and has a fuzzy feel.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mBtzbY-Dwo

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 09/24/2014 :  19:33:27  Show Profile
I second Regatta, a single-braid from New England Ropes. It coils and lies nicer, doesn't tend to kink, and feels soft on the hands.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

hewebb
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
761 Posts

Response Posted - 09/25/2014 :  03:36:28  Show Profile
I replaced my jib sheets with New England 7/16 VPC. I washed it and used some fabric softener. Feels good and handles well.

Edited by - hewebb on 09/26/2014 04:46:36
Go to Top of Page

sweetcraft
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
816 Posts

Response Posted - 09/25/2014 :  10:33:27  Show Profile
I still use the original Catalina sheets which are the 7/16+ single braid. They are still in good shape. I store the excess coil in the locker and do keep the bimini up at the dock. The sun has to be the most harmful as the jib sheets are coiled and stored in the sail bags when moored.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

awetmore
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1144 Posts

Response Posted - 09/25/2014 :  10:43:25  Show Profile
The downside with Regatta Braid compared to Trophy Braid is that Regatta Braid can easily snag on things.

Similar lines to Regatta Braid (but more expensive because they are low stretch) are Salsa Braid and Samson Control DPX. Yale PhD is in between these lines price and performance wise.

Yale's double braid also has a softer cover like Trophy Braid.

Trophy Braid is a good mainsheet. It should run free through the blocks unless you are putting the maximum size allowed through the blocks. Downsize from 7/16" to 3/8" (a good size for a Catalina 25) and it will run freely.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

RAG Sailor
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
144 Posts

Response Posted - 09/25/2014 :  20:04:43  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by awetmore

The downside with Regatta Braid compared to Trophy Braid is that Regatta Braid can easily snag on things.

Similar lines to Regatta Braid (but more expensive because they are low stretch) are Salsa Braid and Samson Control DPX. Yale PhD is in between these lines price and performance wise.

Yale's double braid also has a softer cover like Trophy Braid.

Trophy Braid is a good mainsheet. It should run free through the blocks unless you are putting the maximum size allowed through the blocks. Downsize from 7/16" to 3/8" (a good size for a Catalina 25) and it will run freely.

Thanks Alex for your detailed information. I believe I have 3/8 already running through block system. I need to slice off an end and measure it but I believe it's 3/8.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

awetmore
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1144 Posts

Response Posted - 09/26/2014 :  07:18:41  Show Profile
Also, if it is time for new blocks then Harken has a very nice deal in their clearance section:
http://www.harken.com/clearance.aspx?s=fiddle&clearance=1&taxroot=361&tax=627

Get the $39.90 block (model 030) for the boom end, and either the $102.40 (model 042) or $83.95 (model 038) blocks for the traveler end. The model 042 has a ratchet, which is a nice feature when sailing in heavier winds.

Note that block 030 includes a becket that you won't need and will have to ignore. You can cut it off if it really bothers you.

These are nicer blocks than Garhauer at cheaper prices. Compared to Garhauer you get a ratchet and the angle of the cam cleat can be adjusted for the geometry of your mainsheet.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page