Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 How to avoid a heart attack while inflating dinghy
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

britinusa
Web Editor

Member Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Initially Posted - 09/21/2014 :  08:18:01  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Our Mercury Inflatable has an Air Deck, Inflatable keel and 3 Inflatable side tubes.

They have to be inflated between 3.6p.s.i (tubes) to 11psi(Air Deck) and we have been using the Manual pump supplied with the dink.

Now that I'm closing in on 66yo. I find inflating the dink a challenge. Despite working out 5 days a week, I get whacked pumping the dink above the <1psi that our Coleman air bed inflator can handle.

Last week Peggy saw an Electric inflator for dinghys at West Marine. It has a two stage pump, High volume low pressure and High pressure low volume and it automatically switches to the latter when needed.

Works GREAT! NO SWEAT!
<center>
<b>Electric Dinghy Inflator</b>
West Marine Product but similar sold elsewhere</center>

Pros:
..Very quick, had the boat fully inflated within 5 minutes.
..We purchased the model that includes the air pressure gauge with auto shut off. That works really well.
..The kit comes inside a zippered 3 compartment carry bag. No need to remove the pump from the bag.
Reduces the risk of having a heart attack during dink inflation!

Cons:
..Has a max power draw of 20amps at 12v.
..Despite the kit coming with all sorts of adaptors, there is not one to connect the hose to the typical Air valve on a dingy. Using the adapters provided, I was able to connect the tube we use for the manual pump to the tube that came with the Electric pump.
..The power cord is only about 10', so the dink has to be positioned adjacent to the truck for inflation. I would not try to connect the pump to a cigarette lighter socket!
..Price: $149.00+tax.

BUT the price is well worth it!

Paul

Edited by - britinusa on 09/21/2014 08:19:46

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 09/21/2014 :  11:13:38  Show Profile
Always a struggle. Looks like a good solution.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 09/21/2014 :  19:16:17  Show Profile
... there is not one {adapter} to connect the hose to the typical air valve on a dingy....
Begs the question - Then why is it called an electric dingy inflator?
Glad it works well for you, Paul!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 09/22/2014 :  03:24:00  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
The lack of a connector is an issue I'm taking up with West Marine.

I had considered using super tape to strengthen the join between the supplied hose, the hose adapator and the hose that came with the dink (A Mercury Air Deck!)

After the test inflate yesterday, I washed the dink down with fresh water, dried it and let it air out in the sun for 30mins. Then used the pump to deflate the dink. It made taking the dink down even easier!

Paul.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page