Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Mooring chain.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Akenumber
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
247 Posts

Initially Posted - 09/19/2014 :  05:27:40  Show Profile
Hi there. In San Diego dock space is very hard to come by, so we Moore our boat. I was cleaning the ball and top portion of chain one day and realized no growth were I had slopped some bottom paint on the chain. Has anyone ever painted the top few feet of chain with antifoulant?

Edited by - on

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 09/19/2014 :  06:16:04  Show Profile
I don't moore my boat but the boats in the mooring field I pass when leaving my Marina all have nasty looking ground tackle. I have never heard of painting but you might have stumbled onto something. I'd try it unless someone knows of a reason not to.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sdpinaz
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
193 Posts

Response Posted - 09/20/2014 :  06:43:43  Show Profile
Is it your tackle? I thought san diego mooring owned all the tackle in the bay- if SDM owns it, they should be maintaining it as well?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Akenumber
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
247 Posts

Response Posted - 09/20/2014 :  07:03:58  Show Profile
In mission bay you own and maintain it. Only 650 a year for the permit though, if you can get one.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 09/20/2014 :  11:54:42  Show Profile
That sounds like a great idea - my floating dock has bungie ropes (no chain) holding the dock to the ground tackle - they use spiral screw-type anchors. I can see that there's a bunch of slime and marine growth on near the surface, and I wonder what it looks like down below - since visibility is at most 12-18".
Regarding chain, do you think that because it moves and grinds with wave action while in use, any paint you put on will wear off quickly? But if you coat the chain with 2-3 coats, perhaps it will last the season. Definitely wouldn't hurt to try it, unless there's an environmental regulation in your area about it. Non-copper-based slime-fighting paint might work too.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 09/20/2014 :  14:30:55  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Voyager

...Regarding chain, do you think that because it moves and grinds with wave action while in use, any paint you put on will wear off quickly?

No experience with this, but if the moving and grinding is enough to wear the paint off, it will probably wear any slime off too. The remaining parts of the links, where the paint won't wear off, will get the anti-fouling benefits. Sounds like a winner to me!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 09/22/2014 :  18:01:29  Show Profile
You may have a point there. Like I said it couldn't hurt!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 09/23/2014 :  10:51:17  Show Profile
Sounds like a good idea. If the marina will not allow you to paint it, a stiff brush periodically should keep the slime from building uptoo much.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Akenumber
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
247 Posts

Response Posted - 09/27/2014 :  07:40:39  Show Profile
The mooring is 22 feet deep on average. It's usually only the top 10 ft that has growth. So no wearing up there. I think I will try it.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 09/27/2014 :  10:44:38  Show Profile
Question... Might the galvanic action between the copper in the paint and the zinc galvanizing on the chain compromise the galvanizing, shortening the life of the chain? I haven't looked at the galvanic table, but copper paint isn't recommended on metal hulls.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Akenumber
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
247 Posts

Response Posted - 09/27/2014 :  19:02:16  Show Profile
That is a very good point. This is why I posted in the first place. Maybe a non copper bottom paint?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page