Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Instruction
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cavebasin
Deckhand

Member Avatar

12 Posts

Initially Posted - 09/16/2014 :  14:17:48  Show Profile
Just curious if anyone on the forum has taken sailing lessons/instruction with Captain Clint Sutter on Lake Pleasant, AZ?
If yes how would you rate the over all experience.

Also any recommendations for instructions/instructors near SW Colorado you have had experience with would be appreciated. Would like to take some lessons during the winter month's so looks like AZ, TX, UT destinations. Anywhere near by that the water does not solidify between December and April. Have sailboat will travel.

Edited by - on

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 09/16/2014 :  16:09:01  Show Profile
Welcome Doug! I don't have anything for you, but you've found one of the best sailing communities on the web... Come on in!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sdpinaz
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
193 Posts

Response Posted - 09/16/2014 :  18:39:56  Show Profile
Hey Doug,
Welcome! While I am not an expert by any means, I do know quite a bit about sailing- been sailing my whole life, I would be more than happy to meet you and help you out, our boats are almost identical too so I could give you a hand there as well. I live in Flagstaff, AZ and my job allows lots of time off in the winter months, so I am planning on some days sailing this winter. I could meet you at lake powell, or as you mentioned, lake pleasant is nice. Lake mead, havasu, ect.... Let me know. Have you considered a course along the coast, maybe in southern California? I know of several legit, ASA certified intructors in Ventura/santa Barbara area. If you are looking for something a little closer to home just to get out on the water with your boat and learn a little bit, I would be more than happy to head out sailing with you, that would be fun.
Cheers,
Scott

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

hewebb
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
761 Posts

Response Posted - 09/17/2014 :  03:49:23  Show Profile
Doug, Welcome to the group.
A suggestion. If there is a club in your area that has sailboat races you may want to participate. I learned a lot about sail handling by crewing on another boat. I had a fair amount of power boat experience and very little sail experience when I purchased the sailboat.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

cavebasin
Deckhand

Members Avatar

12 Posts

Response Posted - 09/17/2014 :  15:46:05  Show Profile
Scott, Thanks for offer, just kicking this around right now to see what suggestions forum users have and what my options are. California would be a bit far to go right now. Most likely with work schedule I can not do anything until around February. Maybe Lake Powell, will drop you an email if I decide to go your route.

Hebwebb, Sure wish there was racing near by, I would already be signed up. I know I would enjoy it and learn a lot.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 09/18/2014 :  06:23:56  Show Profile
Also if you can't get to the water this forum is very helpful. Many seasoned sailors here. Also U-Tube. There are how to sailing videos there by the millions.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Kper
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
417 Posts

Response Posted - 09/19/2014 :  05:04:53  Show Profile
Sailed once - found this forum - bought a boat.
Tons of friendly advice here for sure!
Welcome to the forum.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 09/19/2014 :  06:25:19  Show Profile
quote:
Sailed once - found this forum - bought a boat.

Exactly, But for me it was
Sailed some when younger-Found this forum-Bought a Catalina 25.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dlucier
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Virgin Islands (United Kingdom)
7583 Posts

Response Posted - 09/19/2014 :  07:28:52  Show Profile
I rented a Hobie for two hours once while at a beach, then ten years later purchased a sailboat and a "how to" sailing book in the same week. The books gave me the fundamentals and the sea taught me the rest.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Kper
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
417 Posts

Response Posted - 09/19/2014 :  09:32:13  Show Profile
Not to take away from Doug's thread but, I was always told to get out on the water and the boat will teach you what you need to know. That was true in my case except after a summer of listening to my boat it's now throwing me more questions than answers!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 09/22/2014 :  18:08:31  Show Profile
Why not just go for broke? This winter sign up for a Caribbean US Sailing course out of one of the more reputable marinas or yacht clubs? It's an experience you (and your significant other) would not soon forget!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

cavebasin
Deckhand

Members Avatar

12 Posts

Response Posted - 09/23/2014 :  20:07:12  Show Profile
Bruce that would be sweet, think I'll go for it............. oops just remembered have to work .

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

awetmore
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1144 Posts

Response Posted - 09/24/2014 :  08:39:44  Show Profile
I'm going to disagree with the masses and say that I found instruction to be useful. I think I could have figured out sailing by myself, but 12 hours (6 on the helm) with an instructor was valuable and certainly jump started the process.

I've sailed with a mix of self taught sailors and those who have taken classes. The ones who have taken classes seem to be a lot more comfortable with right of way rules, basic safety drills (like MOB), reefing while hove-to, jybing safely, and basic sail trim. All of this can be self taught, it just takes the right kind of person to be motivated to learn a whole curriculum instead of just going out and relaxing on the water.

I have learned some skills myself (like flying a spinnaker), but really learned how to do it properly and more safely after using them on boats with more experienced crew and skippers.

Sorry, I can't suggest any particular classes in that part of the country.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

JohnP
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

1519 Posts

Response Posted - 09/24/2014 :  10:25:18  Show Profile
Welcome to the group!

I agree with Alex about the value of instruction. I would suggest that you may benefit most from instruction either if it takes place on your own boat, or else after you have sailed on your own boat for a while. So Scott's offer may be a great start for you to get to know your boat before you take formal instruction on some other boat.

I learned by sailing over 5 years on a friend's C-25, but he had learned by the seat of his pants! Needless to say, I have gained a lot of useful info about seamanship and about boat maintenance from the Association Forum and from sailing with other members on their boats.

My local library has the John Rousmaniere books, and also most of the set of instructional videos, that are both entitled "The Annapolis Book of Seamanship". I found them very helpful.

Edited by - JohnP on 09/24/2014 10:29:39
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 09/24/2014 :  11:00:53  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Don't forget to take the no cost online safety courses!
<center>
Thanks Boat US
Here`s my Boating Safety Ed I.D. Card Peggy will get hers next.</center>

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

awetmore
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1144 Posts

Response Posted - 09/24/2014 :  18:01:06  Show Profile
Those are good (and might be required depending on your age and state), but won't teach you anything about sailing.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 09/27/2014 :  20:01:26  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by cavebasin

Bruce that would be sweet, think I'll go for it............. oops just remembered have to work .

Yeah I get it, but you should get some time off somewhere along the line. At sometime mid-Colorado winter, why not head to FLA for 3-4 days and get a mid-winter course? There's also Newport RI, Norwalk CT, Annapolis MD, San Fran CA, etc where you should be able to take a course learning to sail.
Waaaaaaaaaay back in the mid-90s I took a 4-weekend course with a local sailing school. I never regretted the knowledge and experience I learned.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

cavebasin
Deckhand

Members Avatar

12 Posts

Response Posted - 09/28/2014 :  18:48:12  Show Profile
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Hopefully get the boat out on the water next weekend. Been taking care of some small maintenance issues since buying boat. Nothing drastic things like replacing the old plastic halyard sheaves which were very aged, cracked and falling apart, re-wiring mast, replacing deck plug for lights, making new tubes to slide over halyard turn buckles etc. Been doing a lot of reading and watching videos the last year. Still plan to take a course sometime this winter after spending time on boat getting somewhat familiar with rigging, motoring, raising/lowing sails etc. If I can't find anything close by will most likely head to CA. Would really like to use my rig but time constraints may prevent that on this trip. I suppose one could get quite proficient without class but taking the class should steepen the learning curve on basic skills, may even learn a few tricks never found in a book. Either way this will be learning experience for many years to come with or without class.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sdpinaz
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
193 Posts

Response Posted - 09/28/2014 :  20:48:02  Show Profile
Good Luck Doug,
again my offer is still open if you want to get together this winter sometime. If you head to CA to take a class, I recommend the folks in santa Barbara. They teach a good class ASA certified. My wife and I took a class from them several years ago and they let us live on one of their charter boats for free during the class, it definitely saved a lot of money that way....

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sdpinaz
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
193 Posts

Response Posted - 10/24/2014 :  08:22:19  Show Profile
Doug,
I know it is not until the summer, but is Blue mesa Reservoir close enough to you for a weekend? They use Catalina 25's for the classes...
http://www.nautilussailing.com/destinations/learn-to-sail-colorado/

Cheers,
Scott

Edited by - sdpinaz on 10/24/2014 08:23:36
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 10/25/2014 :  08:42:35  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by cavebasin

...making new tubes to slide over halyard turn buckles...

Huh??

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 10/25/2014 :  09:02:00  Show Profile
I just looked up Captain Clint--he gives ASA courses, which are essentially the gold standard of basic sailing training. I'd say you can't go very wrong there.

You can learn a lot from books, and you can apply that by yourself on the water, but there's nothing like having an expert take you through it, watch while you do it, and quickly explain how to do it better. Take heaving-to, for example--it's as much an art as a procedure--hard to describe in a book or make work in varying conditions without being shown. Jibing is another--a dangerous event (to the boat and its occupants) if done wrong, or worse, unintentionally. The last I'll mention is rules-of-the-road, which turn out to be more subtle out on the water than they appear in a book. How and why to make your intentions clear to other skippers is, again, a little bit of art that a few too many people have never learned.

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 10/25/2014 09:03:46
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page