Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Capri 25 Specific Forum
 Halyards
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

edgenelson
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
10 Posts

Initially Posted - 09/16/2014 :  06:06:47  Show Profile
Shredded the mantle of both of my spin halyards during the nationals. Never had a problem while flying my Dacron sails. Borrowed a used Pinstripe 155 and both spin halyards are fried. Had to shorten the halyards after each race and after ten races I don't have enough halyard to shorten anymore. I am considering switching to rope to wire halyards.
Any thoughts on "rope" versus "rope to wire" halyards.

Thanks

Edited by - on

joearcht
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
236 Posts

Response Posted - 09/16/2014 :  06:19:23  Show Profile
My first thought is there must be a problem in your halyard path. Have you check the sheaves at the top of the mask. I've had problems with my sheaves at the foot of the mask and I could envision a problem in this area causing rope damage.
As far as wire goes, I'm sure it could be made to work, but again, I question why. The loads on these halyards should not require wire, so look for the problem first. My two cents, good luck.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

jmadd
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
84 Posts

Response Posted - 09/16/2014 :  07:09:58  Show Profile
I agree with Joe. I've only had one spin halyard failure in about 15 years of sailing my Capri. That halyard was about 8 or 10 years old and parted at the top sheave mast exit point. Likely you have a sheave problem somewhere.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

edgenelson
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
10 Posts

Response Posted - 09/16/2014 :  08:38:35  Show Profile
I plan on dropping the mast to inspect (replace) the sheaves. If I go to the rope/wire I need to buy the sheaves with a wire channel. This was the setup on my SJ24 and it worked well. I just think it is odd that both sheaves would go on the same day.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

jmadd
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
84 Posts

Response Posted - 09/16/2014 :  10:17:17  Show Profile
I'm confused by your reference to two halyards. The Capri is only rigged with one spin halyard, although there is sheaves for two jib halyards. Are you re-purposing one of the jib halyards for the spinnaker?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

edgenelson
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
10 Posts

Response Posted - 09/16/2014 :  19:17:40  Show Profile
No, I did mean jib halyard. No wonder why my crew is always confused.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Ape-X
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
662 Posts

Response Posted - 09/17/2014 :  03:31:06  Show Profile
we just had a marina member relace an existing jib halyard that was wire/rope. They didn't want to change sheeves, so asked for wire to rope....ended up with several weeks wait for someone to custom order. They just don't keep up those systems anymore. just a thought about availability

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

edgenelson
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
10 Posts

Response Posted - 09/17/2014 :  07:35:47  Show Profile
Talked with west marine rep yesterday and he stated that today's lines are stronger and lighter. for about the same price I do 1/4 WarpSpeed with 5,100 lbs breaking strength and low stretch.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Fleet
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
151 Posts

Response Posted - 09/19/2014 :  04:57:17  Show Profile  Visit Fleet's Homepage
I had written a document that listed all the sizes and lengths of halyards and sheets for my Capri but I can't locate it. So from my poor memory, I think the halyards were 5/16th diameter. If I am correct, before purchasing the 1/4" halyard, I recommend handling the new halyard to check if you are comfortable with gripping it. Some lines are just too slippery to grip and for me, I'm more comfortable gripping and pulling 5/16 vs 1/4.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

shnool
Former Capri-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
1032 Posts

Response Posted - 09/19/2014 :  05:59:42  Show Profile  Visit shnool's Homepage
No question the halyards were originally all rope, and all 5/16.
It takes only a few moments to change the sheaves out to replace the bakelight plastic sheaves with a new aluminum set, and they aren't terribly expensive either (bonus).

You can certainly go to amsteel, or crystaline, or VPC (but diameter certainly matters for grip)... Frankly I think Sta-Set X is fine unless you plan on getting a professional crew. At 4400lbs breaking strength, and can be found under $1/foot (try ebay), it's probably your bargain option for new halyards, and will last you a good long while.

My driving, crewing, and general lack of a good start are WAY more important than 2lbs extra of halyard weight, or 1/4" of halyard stretch.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Fleet
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
151 Posts

Response Posted - 09/20/2014 :  07:19:54  Show Profile  Visit Fleet's Homepage
I replaced all my halyards with Sta-set and used Sta-setX for the sheets. Sta-set comes in a variety of colors and I purchased them through Milwaukee Rigging (Ebay). Had an overall good experience with Milwaukee Rigging and was the cheapest around.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page