Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 catalina switch panel
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

stang9150
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
138 Posts

Initially Posted - 09/15/2014 :  09:00:11  Show Profile
Installing a switch panel for the dc wiring. This is the 8 rocker switch panel with 2 25 amp breakers built in. I want to put an inline fuse at the battery, trying to figure out what amperage I should use? I run the nav lights, 2 cabin lights,depth finder, and a vhf radio.

Edited by - on

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 09/15/2014 :  09:35:57  Show Profile
Like they say, the fuse protects the wire, so the fuse should blow before the wire burns up...

IMHO.. I'm no electrician ... but as I understand it...

the fuse size is dependent on the wire size.

#10 wire should not pull over 30 amps
#8 wire should not pull over 55 amps

[url="http://www.cerrowire.com/ampacity-charts"]i.e. Wire Ampacity[/url]

so you look for something like a 30 amp fuse for #8 wire.

I'd probably run #8 and a 35 amp fuse ( model # 5164 ) in this fuse block ( Blue Sea Systems ANL Fuse Block ). Shown in the Defender web page.

http://www.defender.com

and your crimp lugs to the post size on either side of your wire connections

Does that sound about right everybody??? ( Voyager?? )

ANyhoo... that's one way to do it.

Just don't plug in a hair dryer or a microwave...

Edited by - redeye on 09/15/2014 12:12:28
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 09/15/2014 :  12:28:30  Show Profile
Oh.. and a funny story.. I was rewiring a 17 foot aluminum Starcraft boat once and I did not have a primary fuse at the battery... anyhoo it shorted the primary and the ground near the panel underneath the steering wheel and it was "poof" in seconds, all the primary wire and ground was smoking and all the insulation melted off. I was lucky I didn't have a fire, and now I think of how quickly that could happen.

I've been more careful with DC wiring ever since...

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

stang9150
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
138 Posts

Response Posted - 09/15/2014 :  13:44:01  Show Profile
Yeah I have just been working on rewiring all the po wiring projects that he attempted.Thanks for the tips.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 09/15/2014 :  19:56:22  Show Profile
Sailing with a much older friend many years ago in moderately rough conditions at night, I discovered that he had neither terminal fuses nor battery hold downs. The nav lights went out in the ship lanes north of Toledo and smoke billowed out of the cabin. A bucket of lake water doused the burning insulation, but it was a long way across the lanes that night.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Tomas Kruska
Admiral

Members Avatar

Czech Republic
522 Posts

Response Posted - 09/16/2014 :  00:25:03  Show Profile  Visit Tomas Kruska's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Dave5041

... A bucket of lake water doused the burning insulation, but it was a long way across the lanes that night.

Reminds me that movie "All is lost" :-)

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 09/16/2014 :  19:10:39  Show Profile
Been traveling of late - in Paul's neck of the woods (south FL). Meanwhile I recommend the following if you have an outboard with an electric start:

1. A separate #10 or #8 wire lead from the battery to the electrical panel, with a 30A or 35A fuse. You need at least 30A if you have conventional electric lighting (2A apiece x 10 lamps), plus 5-10A for the VHF and 5A for your audio system.

2. #6 or #4 wire for your starter circuit. Give that a 40A or 50A fuse.

Some people like circuit breakers BUT they fail. They can stick, freeze or short. If this happens, you won't know it until its too late and worst-case the boat will burn down to the waterline

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 09/17/2014 :  04:08:14  Show Profile
Thanks Voyager, I always forget to mention the engine circuit as mine is not an electric start.

We had a Catalina 30 burn up on Lake Lanier in 2011.. not pretty.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

stang9150
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
138 Posts

Response Posted - 09/17/2014 :  11:50:24  Show Profile
no starter circuit on this boat.Thanks for the tips

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 09/17/2014 :  19:29:55  Show Profile
Whoa! That boat looks to be in pretty bad shape. Surprised there's that much left after the fire.
For no electric start, reduce item 2 to the max current supplied by the alternator plus 50%. For example, if you have a 6A alternator, use #12 or #14 wire and a 10A fuse. Use the standard ampacity tables depending on wire run length. For a 12A alternator go with a 15 or 20A fuse and appropriately sized wire..

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page