Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Mystic Area Suggestions - Marina and Racing
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Saholmes
Deckhand

Member Avatar

11 Posts

Initially Posted - 09/08/2014 :  18:00:53  Show Profile
Hi All - moving Selkie from Westbrook CT to Mystic area. I need recommendations on two fronts:

1. Marinas. Narrowed to Noank Village Boatyard, Mystic Shipyard or perhaps Spicers. Anyone have an opinion? Anyone suggest alternative?

2. Racing. I did a few races this summer with Duck Island Yacht Club, and found the experience less than optimum. Fact is, I have a Catalina 25 i bought for 5 grand and am far more interested in sailing it than I am in the psychological issues of people who opt for 'racing' instead of therapy. SO - where do I go in Mystic area for some good fun in racing, where my net worth is measured in boat speed and not pathetic start line swagger?

Open to all suggestions.

Edited by - on

sweetcraft
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
816 Posts

Response Posted - 09/08/2014 :  19:52:32  Show Profile
Where are you Dave?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 09/08/2014 :  21:10:31  Show Profile
Right here...

I'll get some info on races from a friend who races an older Tartan 27. I know there are Wed. night races outside of the Mystic River, and weekend events off Stonington and New London, but I don't know who organizes them.

Another marina you might want to check out is [url="https://sites.google.com/a/masonsislandmarina.net/home/"]Masons Island Marina[/url]--a smaller family operation that's super friendly and kinda funky but less expensive than the ones you mentioned (where the big guys stay). It's a few more minutes to the sound than from Noank Village, but also more protected from major storms. I think there are a couple of C-25s there now. I kept mine there, and store my current boat there over the winter--mostly because they take very good care of me--I feel like a friend there. Go across the causeway onto Masons Island, bear right at the first Y, and watch for a white fence on your right. Ask for Jack (the owner) and tell him I sent you. (I get nothing.)

Welcome to the best jumping-off location with more destinations than almost anywhere! (And on Fishers Island Sound, you'll find yourself in a "race" every time you go out!)

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 09/08/2014 21:42:06
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 09/11/2014 :  19:51:24  Show Profile
Friend of mine is at Mystic Shipyards East and he loves it there. It's a wee bit up the harbor, but sailing past Noank and Mason Island is an adventure in itself. The marina is a natural hurricane hole, so it is well-protected on all sides. Not sure how it compares on rates with the others, but is a well-established and reputable facility.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 09/11/2014 :  20:56:11  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Voyager

Friend of mine is at Mystic Shipyards East...
In a keelboat? Water can get a little scarce on that route.

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 09/11/2014 20:57:17
Go to Top of Page

hillerji
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
37 Posts

Response Posted - 09/12/2014 :  05:15:37  Show Profile
Saholmes,

I absolutely respect all the suggestions given by others towards the Mystic River confines. I will offer up my current home which is the Thames Yacht Club in New London. While not as secluded as the Mystic it is right at the mouth of the Thames and the sound. Clubhouse, white sand beach and a non-stuffy atmosphere with members willing to help at any turn. Plus, and this year was my first doing it with the Cat 25, Wednesday night racing. Typically 3 classes, Ensigns, spin and non-spin. Maybe 20 boats total on any given night. Yes we interact with ferries and subs but it's all part of the game. I believe I am 1 of 2 Cat 25's but maybe with 3 we can get our own class. Sorry, getting carried away. I just flew a chute the other day for the first time and can't wait for the spin season next year. Jon H. p.s. I think there is always a bit of 'swagger'. Some just swag more than others.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Saholmes
Deckhand

Members Avatar

11 Posts

Response Posted - 09/12/2014 :  08:24:17  Show Profile
Thanks for the replies.

I looked into Mason's Island Marina, Dave, and told them I was calling at your suggestion. I can see from charts and google maps where they are and will go to look at them tomorrow. I also like the idea of Mystic Shipyards East - but am questioning whether i can get a keelboat into a slip over there. Woman on phone said YES, and their price and amenities are solid - but I want to go look tomorrow and actually SEE a keelboat on those docks.

As for racing, think I will approach mudheads and see what's up. in any event, i think I am done with westbrook area - keep an eye out for SELKIE in Mystic area soon

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 09/16/2014 :  19:17:23  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Stinkpotter

quote:
Originally posted by Voyager

Friend of mine is at Mystic Shipyards East...
In a keelboat? Water can get a little scarce on that route.

Dave, you're right - we were dragging the soft mud one day in his Hunter 33. He told me to follow the buoys and pray.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 09/17/2014 :  18:41:55  Show Profile
Bruce--you went right past Masons Island Marina on your way in--the place where I kept Passage (fin keel). I never had trouble getting that far, but saw enough at extra-low tides to be glad I didn't have to go further.

Steve--I talked to my friend, and as I suspected, the Mystic Mudheads are the center of gravity for racing around here. I take it you found their site.

When (and where) will you arrive?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page