Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Marine head hoses
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Captain Max
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
87 Posts

Initially Posted - 09/01/2014 :  16:18:04  Show Profile
I've had some problem with my holding tank and odor. After pulling the tank which was a total nightmare. It is ok (not cracked). I believe the problem was at the lower connection. At any rate, I'm going to replace all the hoses. What is the best place to go for marine hoses?

Edited by - on

Tomas Kruska
Admiral

Members Avatar

Czech Republic
522 Posts

Response Posted - 09/02/2014 :  00:43:56  Show Profile  Visit Tomas Kruska's Homepage
In the past I replaced also the ordinary PVC hose with Vetus Sanitary hoses. They are a little expensive, but worth it. However the odor was not fixed completely. I think that the problem was the permeable waste tank. You can find many web blogs of guys with the same problem. Unfortunately I then sold the boat so problem was fixed for me

If you want to be sure, just do a quick test if it's the hose and/or the tank itself.
Just wipe the tank with damp paper towel and then sniff it. If it stinks, than you have to replace the tank too.

Good luck.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

jduck00
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
313 Posts

Response Posted - 09/02/2014 :  05:41:51  Show Profile
I used Trident 101. Its good stuff, but a bit expensive. Worth the money. I used it and a new holding tank and haven't had a smell yet. With that and the extra tank ventilation, you can't tell the boat has a head.

In my opinion, this isn't the time to go cheap.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 09/02/2014 :  06:01:40  Show Profile
Don't forget that the tank has a vent and you are usually sitting down wind of the vent. They sell charcoal inline vent filters but you can easily make one out of PVC pipe,2 hose nipples and charcoal from the pet supply store. The charcoal is used in fish tank filters. Put the charcoal inside a stocking then into the PVC tube, Screw the cap on and put it somewhere in the vent hose.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

JohnP
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

1519 Posts

Response Posted - 09/02/2014 :  12:04:00  Show Profile
Other threads on the Forum in the past have stressed the idea of flushing a marine toilet only with fresh water, not seawater (or lake water, I guess). I do that with mine. Seawater causes the waste to generate considerably more rotten smells, from all the microbial life in the water, which makes sense. Lakewater could be similar.

I use one spray of bilge deodorant/sanitizer - the dark blue stuff - with every flush also. When I recently pumped out my holding tank at the marina, I had an unfortunate spill that I will not describe! I was surprised to find that the sludge and liquid that spilled had hardly any odor! The blue stuff really works.

These 2 ideas are independent of replacing your hoses, but they may help you in the long run minimize odor.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Captain Max
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
87 Posts

Response Posted - 09/02/2014 :  19:50:10  Show Profile
Thanks guys, I actually had a leak from the connection which was causing the problem. I just want to replace the hoses at this point as they are so old. On lake, so seawater is not a factor.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 09/02/2014 :  20:48:01  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by JohnP

Other threads on the Forum in the past have stressed the idea of flushing a marine toilet only with fresh water, not seawater (or lake water, I guess). I do that with mine. Seawater causes the waste to generate considerably more rotten smells, from all the microbial life in the water, which makes sense. Lakewater could be similar.

I use one spray of bilge deodorant/sanitizer - the dark blue stuff - with every flush also. When I recently pumped out my holding tank at the marina, I had an unfortunate spill that I will not describe! I was surprised to find that the sludge and liquid that spilled had hardly any odor! The blue stuff really works.

These 2 ideas are independent of replacing your hoses, but they may help you in the long run minimize odor.

When I first got my boat the odor was pretty strong. Not knowing any better I just opened the sea-cock and flushed using water from the bay.

I don't use my head much anymore but after reading about using fresh water only for flushing on this forum 4 or 5 years ago I started bringing a 1 gallon plastic jug of water with me when I go sailing. I haven't had any problems since. Even after the boat has been closed up for 5 or 6 weeks there is no odor from the head.

Edited by - GaryB on 09/02/2014 20:48:49
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 09/03/2014 :  09:24:04  Show Profile
I love my porta potty.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sethp001
Mainsheet C-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 09/03/2014 :  17:21:14  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Max

I've had some problem with my holding tank and odor. After pulling the tank which was a total nightmare. It is ok (not cracked). I believe the problem was at the lower connection. At any rate, I'm going to replace all the hoses. What is the best place to go for marine hoses?

I'm not sure of best place to go, but I noticed in their most recent issue that Practical Sailor recommends Shields Marine Poly-X hose. They write: "After 30 months, the Shields Marine Poly-X hose was flawless, showing no permeation, and it comes with a lifetime warranty against permeation. At $19.62 per foot, it isn't cheap, but when it came to controlling odor, this was money well spent." Hope that helps.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 09/03/2014 :  21:08:08  Show Profile
There are some at about 1/2 half that price that are also very good, but that 30 month test was with liquid waste actually sitting in the hose. Pretty impressive! Read the original P/S test articles for ratings of the various products. Cheap stinks.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page