Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Cruising Forum
 No More Sailing For Us This Year
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kper
Captain

Member Avatar

USA
417 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/30/2014 :  18:10:17  Show Profile
Sailed for a couple hours today until the wind completely died. We were about a half mile from the marina and getting nowhere so we dropped the sails, fired up the "old" Seahorse and motored in. As soon as we got to the channel entrance the motor started to bog and I grabbed the throttle just as it died. Hit the starter and got nothing, grabbed the pull handle and it was locked in place and would budge. There was a slight current taking us towards the submerged parking lot about 30 yards away so we dropped anchor and called my coworkers at the marina who arrived in no more than 5 minutes with the work boat for the tow to our slip.

We don't have funds available for an engine this year so it looks like that's it for us.

To add insult to injury, prior to the engine disaster the main sheet took my glasses from my head on a tack today and now they reside at the bottom of the lake. That's when my wife said, "You'll be ok if that's the worst thing that happens to you today".

Edited by - on

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 08/30/2014 :  19:11:49  Show Profile
I'd look into the motor situation. It may not be as bad as you think. Sometimes when I shut off my Suzuki and then go back later to start it the pull rope is locked up and won't budge. By pulling on the rope until it pulls tight (an inch maybe) then releasing the pressure several times it will finally come loose.

I think what is happening is when I shut the motor off sometimes the piston stops near the top of the compression stroke and kicks back just enough to put pressure on the starter rope assembly and it makes it feel like the motor is locked up.

By "popping" the starter rope a few times it causes the pawls to disengage and free up the rope. After that I can pull start it just fine. Doesn't do it all the time, just occasionally.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 08/30/2014 :  21:30:12  Show Profile
Nonetheless, if you can get it to fire up, check the cooling pisser for evidence of pressure.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Kper
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
417 Posts

Response Posted - 08/31/2014 :  03:28:24  Show Profile
When the starter wouldn't do anything I checked to see if it was in gear - sometimes it would start in gear and sometimes it wouldn't. That's when I found the shifter was all sorts of jacked up. It quit in forward so I tried to shift to neutral and, although I felt resistance, there was no detent so there was no real way to know if I was in neutral or in gear. It did this to me once before while backing out of the slip when the engine died and all hands on deck kept us from colliding with the empty slips behind us, out of desperation I pull started it and everything seemed to work ok. Anyway, back to yesterday... I placed the shifter to what I thought should be neutral and tried to pull the cord but it was locked tight. I tried several times to get it to budge even a smidgen but it wasn't going anywhere... no play in the cord whatsoever.

Dave, I don't even know what the cooling pisser is so it may be time for me to educate myself.

Edit: Cooling pisser - it just dawned on me. The stream of water exiting the engine while it's running. Is that above the waterline or will I need to place my hand over it?

Edited by - Kper on 08/31/2014 03:32:05
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 08/31/2014 :  05:09:44  Show Profile
Here is a video of a guy clearing a clog in his Pisser. They will be in the same general spot on most engines. They are a visual stream of water that lets you know that water is running through the cooling system.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66kfjGs-5AA

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Kper
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
417 Posts

Response Posted - 08/31/2014 :  06:19:06  Show Profile
Ok, I'm with ya now. I'm not sure I recall seeing that. It may have overheated... I suspect it's toast if it wasn't cooling.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Kper
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
417 Posts

Response Posted - 08/31/2014 :  19:57:07  Show Profile
I headed to the marina today to disconnect the wiring to the motor so I could remove it and run it to an outboard mechanic tomorrow. Well, I never got that far.

Without all the pressure of passengers looking to me about our motorless situation yesterday, I had time to recap what all transpired yesterday and what really happened. First I wanted to find out why I didn't hear the starter engaging. Even if the engine was locked up I should have still heard the starter engage the flywheel. When I removed the cover I noticed a red, spring loaded arm engaging the pull cord assembly. I moved it out of the way and pulled the cord - the engine rotated. Not seized! Yay. Then I noticed the throttle, when taken all the way down to idle, would engage this red lever. I have no idea what that would be for but at least I had the engine turning.

Next was the starter. Checking for power I discovered that there was a break in the power feed right at the motor next to the starter button where it wasn't easily noticeable. A quick splice and she cranked and fired up. Woohoo.

Next was the shifting issue. I tried to engage neutral (was stuck in forward) but it didn't want to know about it. Then I discovered that if I put some pressure on the shift lever and pull the cord slowly it shifts right in with no effort. Not sure what the issue is there but now I know how to fix it on the fly.

And yes, there is water coming from the pisser.

We're back in business.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 09/01/2014 :  05:48:19  Show Profile
I noticed a red, spring loaded arm engaging the pull cord assembly.
The arm is probably engaged when the motor is in gear to prevent you from starting the motor in gear. It should disengage when the motor is shifted to neutral.
You might just need the shift rod adjusted to improve the shifting or maybe there is a broken spring somewhere.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

JohnP
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

1519 Posts

Response Posted - 09/02/2014 :  12:19:21  Show Profile
Wow! Congratulations, you fixed your outboard by yourself!

I've learned more than I ever wanted to about outboards, and lawn mower engines, and chain saw motors. And particularly about gasoline with 10% ethanol!

In the shop it would have cost you $100 to $300 bucks, for sure, for them to do the same thing and replace a few parts to boot. OK, go ahead and sue me for my libelous attitude towards all repair shops!

Edited by - JohnP on 09/02/2014 12:21:17
Go to Top of Page

Kper
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
417 Posts

Response Posted - 09/02/2014 :  15:07:03  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by JohnP

Wow! Congratulations, you fixed your outboard by yourself!

I don't have any choice... certainly can't afford another engine! lol

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 09/02/2014 :  15:56:56  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
So.... going sailing again this season?

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Kper
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
417 Posts

Response Posted - 09/02/2014 :  17:02:43  Show Profile
Paul, I'm sure we will.
I have to admit, I was kinda looking forward to hauling out and getting some of the maintenance stuff done but at the same time was trying to figure out how I was going to go about that. For instance, I want to get a new cable on the keel and get some fresh bottom paint on her but not sure how to get those done with only a trailer. The yard has a hoist but I didn't want to tie that up for very long. Without a quick search, how does everyone go about replacing their cables? Also, if I had a FK I'd paint the bottom on the trailer and lower one stantion at a time but mine sits on boards.

Edited by - Kper on 09/02/2014 17:03:45
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 09/02/2014 :  21:13:16  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Kper

Paul, I'm sure we will.
I have to admit, I was kinda looking forward to hauling out and getting some of the maintenance stuff done...

I've got plenty for you to do. Please feel free to hop on a flight and stay as long as you like! You can practice doing bottom jobs on my boat until you get the technique perfected!

Edited by - GaryB on 09/02/2014 21:15:15
Go to Top of Page

Kper
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
417 Posts

Response Posted - 09/03/2014 :  03:02:15  Show Profile
The maintenance stuff that excited me didn't exactly include the bottom job but, if I were closer I would definitely help you out for the experience.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page