Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Spinnaker crane setup
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hillerji
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
37 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/26/2014 :  08:26:20  Show Profile
Hello,
I'm planning to rig the boat for a spinnaker as I came across a barely used Asym from a club member that was for a Cat 25. I went ahead and ordered the crane and block from CD now the question. Does it get retrofitted by pulling the sheave pins and than the crane goes over the masthead and sheaves repinned? I'm planning on scheduling some crane/lift time and want to optimize the time.
Any insight is greatly appreciated.

J

Edited by - on

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 08/26/2014 :  08:45:14  Show Profile
quote:
Does it get retrofitted by pulling the sheave pins and than the crane goes over the masthead and sheaves repinned?

Yes, that is how I remember it, the CD website shows that it comes with two clevis pins. I don't remember getting those with mine though and think I reused the original pins without a problem. Don't forget a block and the halyard. Job shouldn't take more than 15 minutes.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 08/26/2014 :  09:33:11  Show Profile
I think ( Not sure ) mine came with new slightly longer pins. Pull out the old ones, Put the crane on and insert the new pins. The only tool you need is pliers for the cotter pins. I'd put new sheaves while you were at it.

Edited by - islander on 08/26/2014 09:35:13
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 08/26/2014 :  10:28:11  Show Profile
Someone was telling me that it is near impossible(or at least extremely difficult) to replace the sheaves with the mast up, is this not true?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 08/26/2014 :  10:35:31  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by DavidBuoy

Someone was telling me that it is near impossible(or at least extremely difficult) to replace the sheaves with the mast up, is this not true?

It would be difficult to replace them all, because you would have to be raised in a bosun's chair on a halyard, and that means at least one of the sheaves would be in use. Nevertheless, I think it could be done. It would be easier to just lower the mast and re-raise it. I can help you with that, if you have never done it. Three men can lower it and re-raise it without any special equipment.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 08/26/2014 :  11:57:17  Show Profile
Also sitting in a bosun's chair you are below the top of the mast so you would be reaching up then down inside while working blind.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 08/26/2014 :  12:32:12  Show Profile
Or even with a crane.. But I am going to wait till the off season. I got a bunch of work to do up there so I might as well drop it.

Have a jammed wire halyard right now so i've been successfully using the spin crane for the spin and head sail.
Once I drop it im replacing the sheaves for rope, full rope halyard conversion, hopefully lines aft, rewiring for anchor light, deck lights on the spreaders and probably replace the topping lift wire. Think that's it.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 08/26/2014 :  13:31:40  Show Profile
Installed the spinnaker crane from CD this past spring. I have a tall rig and the pins that came with the crane were longer - because the TR has a narrower masthead.

Yeah, installing this with the mast erect will be a challenge! I did this just a couple-three months ago (so the process is pretty fresh in my mind) with the mast horizontal. I think you could easily drop a sheave down the center of the mast . You are lining up several pieces of hardware at once . . . gravity will definitely be working against you!

My vote would be lower the mast. Good luck and be safe!

Edited by - OJ on 08/26/2014 13:55:44
Go to Top of Page

hillerji
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
37 Posts

Response Posted - 08/26/2014 :  18:06:17  Show Profile
OJ, Rob,Scott,Steve.Davey,

Thanks as always for sage advice. I was going to use a crane but the 'gravity' drop bit is tending to have me lean towards a horizontal install. Besides its too nice for any downtime at this point right?
Will update as the conversion takes place.

Thanks guys....

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 08/26/2014 :  18:12:44  Show Profile
Hey no problem! I love contributing whenever I can and return the favor for everyone who's helped me! Btw, don't forget the tack line and blocks for the spin.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 08/26/2014 :  18:20:58  Show Profile
Sail On!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sweetcraft
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
816 Posts

Response Posted - 08/26/2014 :  21:50:53  Show Profile
I just flew the spinnaker a couple of days ago and it is a thrill. Yes the crane I have holds the swivel block all the way forward so the sail can reach. It's a triraidial from North which can be set for reaching. The crane has to allow it seems up to about 80 degrees from forward each side. I had forgotten how much pull from the halyard as it has been 10 years since the last launch. It does take at least 3 crew especially racing if you have to tack.
The jambing of the wire halyard happened on another 25 and checking after the season with the mast down, the separator aluminum plate was short in length. The longer plate stopped the jambing.
I vote for mast crane install when horizontal. Have you ever been up there?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

hillerji
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
37 Posts

Response Posted - 08/28/2014 :  17:34:37  Show Profile
Jim,
I've only been up 'there', when it's been 'down' here (horizontal). The plan is to set up at a municipal floating dock where there will be floating docks fore and aft. Aft to work on the lowered masthead and forward to rehoist the mast. A grand plan.

Jon

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sweetcraft
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
816 Posts

Response Posted - 08/29/2014 :  18:28:11  Show Profile

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

hillerji
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
37 Posts

Response Posted - 09/02/2014 :  18:00:42  Show Profile
Gang,
Just reporting back on the 'crane ' mission. As planned we moved the boat to a little used municipal set of concrete floaters. We put her broadside to the floater and started with the bow closer to its T dock for access to the forestay and the lowering aft process. After it was on the deck we just slid the boat aft to get the masthead hanging over the T dock behind her. The trickiest part was still managing the sheave pin replacement. My awesome partner used small bungy cord material to trap the one sheave in place so that it didn't hit the concrete floater and than find its way seaward. They provide 3 new pins but we only needed 2. Restepped the rig and retuned. Now, can anyone offer a halyard size that is adequate? Also installed a vang so we're really coming into the millenium.

J

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 09/02/2014 :  18:59:02  Show Profile
5/16" for both

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

hillerji
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
37 Posts

Response Posted - 09/02/2014 :  19:06:30  Show Profile
Thanks OJ !!!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

hillerji
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
37 Posts

Response Posted - 09/12/2014 :  05:23:56  Show Profile
Just an update. Got the setup complete and Wed. night in very light air christened the 'new' chute. It was the coolest thing to fly that multicolored kite and have it pull. I don't think we're done tweaking though. We tacked it down with a pennant to the fitting just aft of the furler drum so that when we jibed it over to port the pennant was laid on the foil/jib. Any suggestions on a better setup from the panel of experts. It was great to get it going! It came from a former Cat 25 owner who said it was designed for the boat. It is an asym obviously.

Tx,
J

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 09/12/2014 :  06:59:24  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
We have a block on a lanyard attached to the bow pulpit for the Asym Tack.

Then a line that goes aft via blocks attached to the stanchions then to the port winch.

I control the Tack to Furler tension with my DIY Asym Tack Collar..

[url="https://www.catalina-capri-25s.net/cgi-local/MBR_gallery.cgi?Album+1000+129"]

Click to view.[/url]

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page