Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 hope they find the website
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dasreboot
Admiral

Member Avatar

803 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/25/2014 :  10:23:08  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
Met three guys on another catalina 25 (fin keel 84) at my marina. Glad they stayed in the channel, as aquia creek depth is why i have a wing keel. They were sailing down from washington DC. I helped them by showing them the failing backflow preventer that wasn't letting their icebox drain, and helping with anchor light wiring.

Told them about the website, and how the website is one of the strengths of this class. Hope they remember to look.

Edited by - on

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 08/25/2014 :  12:10:50  Show Profile
That's an interesting coincidence. I got back to my marina (just north of Solomons Island) late last Wednesday night after a race, and found that an unfamiliar C25 had tied up for the night in our travelift slip. Their interior lights were on, so I hailed the boat and one person replied. I told him I was an old C25 sailor and asked if he knew about this website, and he said he did. The boat appeared to be older than 1984, because the outboard was mounted on the port side. The hull was white, and had the boat's name on the starboard side, in blue, but I don't remember the name. The boat apparently left early the next morning. Those C25s are everywhere!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 08/25/2014 :  19:36:09  Show Profile
Ya, brut only about 375 out of over 6,000 (6%) are represented by people who have posted here in the last 12 months. I've known several of the others, and their boats are just old boats--they barely know what they are.

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 08/25/2014 19:37:05
Go to Top of Page

Stu Jackson C34
Admiral

Members Avatar

844 Posts

Response Posted - 08/26/2014 :  06:35:12  Show Profile
I keep finding new and potential C25 skippers asking over on sbo.com and send them all here!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 08/26/2014 :  07:37:03  Show Profile
We have four in addition to mine in Milford/Stratford. Rob in Stratford writes on the forum. I've mentioned the forum to the others but so far no takers. You'd have to wonder why - with all the knowledge of maintenance and repair here - folks would prefer ignorance instead...

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 08/26/2014 :  08:35:37  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
Interesting - Did not know you were down in Aquia Harbor. I thought Steve was the closest Association Member to the DC area and he is not close. I am harbored in the DC area but have never gone down past Mason Neck.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 08/26/2014 :  09:33:34  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Voyager

We have four in addition to mine in Milford/Stratford. Rob in Stratford writes on the forum. I've mentioned the forum to the others but so far no takers. You'd have to wonder why - with all the knowledge of maintenance and repair here - folks would prefer ignorance instead...

Lots of people lurk on the forum, some for years, but never participate. I think some don't want to become dues paying members and are reluctant to participate without doing so. The Association hasn't made formal membership mandatory. Anyone can participate, whether a "card-carrying" member or not. The thinking has always been that the best way to get new members is to let non-members participate. Usually, after they have participated for awhile, they realize how much useful info and entertainment value they get from the forum and they join voluntarily.

It would be nice if some of the lurkers would begin to participate. The Association appreciates the members who join formally, but all others are welcome here.

Edited by - Steve Milby on 08/26/2014 09:35:16
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 08/26/2014 :  10:48:41  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by OLarryR

Interesting - Did not know you were down in Aquia Harbor. I thought Steve was the closest Association Member to the DC area and he is not close. I am harbored in the DC area but have never gone down past Mason Neck.

Larry, you come down and I'll come up. we can have our own nationals! since we are both wing keels, it'll be real class racing! We can call it the mason neck cup. maybe those guys are reading this and will want to come as well.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sethp001
Mainsheet C-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 08/26/2014 :  13:07:14  Show Profile
quote:
The thinking has always been that the best way to get new members is to let non-members participate. Usually, after they have participated for awhile, they realize how much useful info and entertainment value they get from the forum and they join voluntarily.

That worked on me.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sweetcraft
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
816 Posts

Response Posted - 08/27/2014 :  05:16:50  Show Profile
Same here. I try to sell the Forum but don't seem to get it across. I get asked questions which I try to answer from 25 owners and introduce the Forum. I just gave my latest Mainsheet to couple that sail their 22 alot. No response yet and they are in next slip.
Had couple in kayak come by and they are using Forum to find their next 25 so they can make Havasu for Feb convention. We will meet them there.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

JohnP
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

1519 Posts

Response Posted - 08/27/2014 :  10:17:02  Show Profile
My old pal who taught me how to sail on his 1982 C-25 SR/FK in Rhode Island has never been interested in the Association Forum.

He works full time, sails many evenings and weekends, goes scuba diving many days each summer, has a big family with their activities, travels sometimes for work, and vacations with the wife and kids. He does not consider typing on a computer entertaining or important. His boat is at a full-service marina, and he gets info and help there.

I've shown him how my boat has a few things his doesn't - GPSmap76sc, boom vang, preventer, outhaul, storm jib, gennaker, working marine toilet, sound system, cabin-companionway cover, Nicro vent, and a queen-size bed on an air mattress, but the only thing he learned from me and my "know-it-all" Forum information is the use of LED lights in the cabin.

Different strokes!!!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 08/27/2014 :  11:07:26  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by JohnP

My old pal who taught me how to sail on his 1982 C-25 SR/FK in Rhode Island has never been interested in the Association Forum.

Poor creature

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page