Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 OT - Scows
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/24/2014 :  08:15:55  Show Profile
I saw an ad on Sailing Texas this morning. A guy has a 16 Megles scow with jib and Melges C - 20' cat rigged scow for sale just North of Houston for $600/ea or $1,100 for the pair. 1980's vintage.

I've been looking for something easy to store, trailer, setup, and sail that was fast and fun to sail (miss my Hobie 16). Wanted something I could take on vacation in the Texas Hill Country.

Anyone know anything about Melges scows?

Edited by - on

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 08/24/2014 :  09:26:02  Show Profile
Rockets.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 08/24/2014 :  10:12:26  Show Profile
Are they built pretty well? Anything areas that I should pay special attention to when looking at the boat.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 08/24/2014 :  11:05:14  Show Profile
One most boats the rub rail is part of the boat, on those scows the rub rail is the boat. Any fiberglass repairs will be obvious and as will all "daysailers" make sure the mast step is solid and the chain plates are anchored well. I suppose watch out for rotted stringers/ribs, boats like this tend to collect water if neglected. We have a nice 16 that a J sailor used for a beach boat, he loves it.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 08/24/2014 :  13:25:19  Show Profile
Are there scows in your area. If not, then reselling it will be a long-distance issue. Scows are very popular in the north central states, MN, WI, etc.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 08/24/2014 :  18:33:17  Show Profile
Yeah, they are about an hour and a half from where I live.

I've been thinking about today and the thought of getting a wooden boat from the 80's probably isn't what I need to be thinking about. Too much work to maintain.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

hewebb
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
761 Posts

Response Posted - 08/25/2014 :  03:25:20  Show Profile
There are several MC Scows at our club. I did get to sail one a couple of months ago and they are great fun-very quick. If you are interested I will ask one of the scow owners what to look for that may be unique to them when buying.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 08/25/2014 :  17:12:58  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by hewebb

There are several MC Scows at our club. I did get to sail one a couple of months ago and they are great fun-very quick. If you are interested I will ask one of the scow owners what to look for that may be unique to them when buying.

I'm probably going to pass on these. While they sound like a lot of fun, I don't want something else to take care of that's wood.

I'm still kinda keeping an eye out for Hobie 16.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 08/29/2014 :  09:46:42  Show Profile
Our club and a neighboring club recently formed a Vanguard 15 fleet. Picture a 2-person Laser on steroids, but can be single-handed. Supposed to be great fun. You might want to check it out. We are hosting the V15 Nationals Oct. 3-5.
http://www.v15.org/

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sweetcraft
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
816 Posts

Response Posted - 08/31/2014 :  19:02:21  Show Profile
I sailed the M Scow several years ago and had never planed before. Sure was lots of noise. Everything vibrated especially the plywood centerboard. Glad we had intertubes pushed into places under the deck. It was a fast ride.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 09/01/2014 :  08:44:35  Show Profile
Not for nothing, building a small wooden boat has always been a daydream for me. I'd model it on a Laser or 49er hull design for planing.
Snap back to reality - why not a 13-15 ft fiberglass boat? I've already got a Vanguard Zuma 13 for my daughter in the garage loft.
If I had a wooden boat, it would probably hold up well for about 5 years, but for one reason or another, over time water would accumulate and the hull would soften. I see a load of rotting wooden derelicts in the winter boatyard - year-in, year-out.
Or I'd need to get a bigger garage! So far I have 3 sailboats, two kayaks, a canoe and an inflatable.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 09/01/2014 :  10:39:43  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by dmpilc

Our club and a neighboring club recently formed a Vanguard 15 fleet. Picture a 2-person Laser on steroids, but can be single-handed. Supposed to be great fun...
the JY-15 is another one, with quite a few club fleets around the country.

But before looking for a "Laser on steroids", how 'bout a Laser? Incredibly responsive, planes like crazy, fleets all over, can be sailed by two, and easy to both buy and sell.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 09/01/2014 :  16:24:14  Show Profile
I've just about decided to sell Andiamo and buy a Flying Scot (later on) which I could keep in my garage. Big enough to sail on the waters near me, easy to tow, and easy to rig. Most importantly, no more slip fees!

I'm just not using her enough and she deserves a better life. I haven't been to the boat since Jul 19th and she hasn't been out of the slip since late June.

On top of that we have home repairs we've been putting off and the time has come to get 'er done!

Anyone interested?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 09/02/2014 :  19:42:01  Show Profile
I looked at the Flying Scott but they are stupid expensive and I found a 22' boat that is almost as easy to rig.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 09/02/2014 :  20:17:04  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by pastmember

I looked at the Flying Scott but they are stupid expensive and I found a 22' boat that is almost as easy to rig.

Yeah, you are correct about how expensive they are. If I do go that route I will wait until I find one in an estate sale or one owned by someone that doesn't know what they have!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 09/03/2014 :  09:15:27  Show Profile
My Starwind was $3500 with a trailer and an '08 Tohatsu 4 stroke. The mast is really close to a Hobie 18 mast in size and weight. You can see it in my "selfie" post. San Juan 21s are a fun small boat too and easily under 5k.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 09/03/2014 :  18:09:44  Show Profile
Well the scows have been sold! Not to me.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

kc5dlo
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
71 Posts

Response Posted - 09/04/2014 :  07:14:42  Show Profile
I was wanting something simple and trailerable for use by myself. I ended up buying a Hobie Adventure Island sailing kayak. Set up and launch time is only about 5 minutes each. Sails better than I expected it would. It is a wet ride when the wind is blowing so it might not get a lot of use in the winter. With the Amas off I can use it a conventional sit on top kayak for floating the river.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dave holtgrave
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
427 Posts

Response Posted - 09/09/2014 :  09:25:14  Show Profile
check MC scow
in dallas area.

jack kerns will set you up and instruct on getting started

dave holtgrave
5722 sk/tr

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page