Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 North Sails Direct
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sdpinaz
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
193 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/22/2014 :  13:32:39  Show Profile
Does anyone have experience with Northsails Direct? they seem to be a bit cheaper than Catalina Direct......

Edited by - on

BCG-Woodbury
Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
396 Posts

Response Posted - 08/22/2014 :  17:49:38  Show Profile
I know I inquired last year about a new 135% and they offered a great price and Free Shipping. I think it was $725 for the roller version. Good sails from what I've read. I think CD sells Ullman.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 08/23/2014 :  10:24:29  Show Profile
I have been very impressed with the quality of their bids. I came close to buying one this year but stuck with Ullman Ventura.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 08/23/2014 :  13:45:18  Show Profile
I was ready to replace my 135 genoa two years ago with the North Sail pret-a-porter equivalent. The sacrificial strip was shot. Then I checked with my local sail repair guy, Gene Sutton, who fixed it up better than ever. Sutton Sail Repair, works with Neils Pryde, but is independent. I recall the price from NS was about $750 while the repair was about $250. If Gene had not come to the rescue I would definitely have gone with North Sails.

Edited by - Voyager on 08/23/2014 13:48:23
Go to Top of Page

dlucier
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Virgin Islands (United Kingdom)
7583 Posts

Response Posted - 08/24/2014 :  07:48:16  Show Profile
I purchased a Cruising Direct/North Sails Direct 135 genoa a few years ago (maybe 5?) and I just had the cover restitched as the thread exposed to sunlight had become brittle. Overall, I have no complaints with the sail. The sail this one replaced was a vintage (over 20 yrs old) North sail.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 08/24/2014 :  09:24:54  Show Profile
Don,
If I'm reading your post correctly, did the 5 year old N-S 135 genoa have UV damage to the stitching thread? If so, this is not really a glowing endorsement for N-S durability. Now it's not a BIG DEAL to restitch the threads but there's a cost to it, and it could cause the sails to be damaged beyond stitching in a big blow.
Please elaborate or clarify...

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dlucier
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

7583 Posts

Response Posted - 08/24/2014 :  16:53:49  Show Profile
Actually, I may have purchased the sail closer to seven years ago. I can't really remember. The sailmaker at the loft I took the sail to for the restitch said the material felt rather heavy for a 25 foot boat.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Heartbeat
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
161 Posts

Response Posted - 08/25/2014 :  11:49:06  Show Profile
We bought our #3 (110%) from North Direct. The sail doesn't get used much, and we specced a fairly heavy cloth. I wanted the sail to be rated high - something like 35 knots apparent. The 110 that came with the boat didn't go to the masthead, and I wanted a sail that did. I got it. I thought we paid about $700, but when the wind is howling (and you have big crew weight) it is the dogs bollocks. When that sail goes up you want your foulies on. Any waves at all gets spray in the cockpit if you are going to windward.

North Direct has an office in the Northeast and they design the sail there and then send it offshore. (Not sure where. India?) I seem to think it took about 6 weeks to get it. Shipped right to the house. I think they might have put the wrong luff tape on it and I had to take it to the local North shop and get it swapped. (They did it for free as it was their mistake.)

I would definitely consider ND for another sail as long as I could fully explain what I want. A couple of years ago we were looking at a A-sail. (DRYA here gives a +6 rating bump for the A-sail.) The local shops wanted ~$1600 or so for one, but I was not entirely clear on what I would get. I talked to ND and they could beat the price, but didn't have a plot on what the A-sail was. The best I could tell them was it was designed for 70 degrees apparent to 130 and gave me a +6 rating bonus. (Can you tell I wanted that +6?) I decided to stick with my standard spinnaker. Really, do you want to look at a race trophy (or flag) and think about how much you had to spend on the sails and beer to get it?

Matt

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 08/25/2014 :  20:35:21  Show Profile
Or instead of beer.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dlucier
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

7583 Posts

Response Posted - 08/26/2014 :  17:07:13  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Heartbeat

North Direct has an office in the Northeast and they design the sail there and then send it offshore. (Not sure where. India?)

I think my sail was made in Sri Lanka.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sweetcraft
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
816 Posts

Response Posted - 08/27/2014 :  05:33:04  Show Profile
I still use my main and laper (115 %) from 79. All North sails.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

awetmore
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1144 Posts

Response Posted - 08/27/2014 :  09:20:47  Show Profile
I've had North Sails Direct asymmetric spinnakers on two boats and have sailed on a boat that used one of their C22 mains.

They are less expensive because they can be made in large batches and are made with lower end fabrics. The prices are great as a result. The spinnakers that I've owned are cut well and fly nicely, but probably won't hold up as well as my nicer UK spinnaker that is made with high end AirX fabric.

The same would be true of their dacron sails when compared to a custom made sail with higher end materials.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Heartbeat
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
161 Posts

Response Posted - 08/27/2014 :  13:13:15  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by awetmore

lower end fabrics

In my opinion, my dail from ND does not have 'lower end' fabric. I think the savings comes from lower labor rates offshore.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

awetmore
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1144 Posts

Response Posted - 08/27/2014 :  14:33:14  Show Profile
"lower end" fabric doesn't mean junk, just that it is the bottom end of a nice manufacturer's line such as Challenge Performance Cruise. It's probably better than the fabric used on the original sails that came with these boats, but not as nice as the best high end dacrons.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 08/27/2014 :  14:53:08  Show Profile
I purchased a 135rf headsail from Cruising Direct back in 2004. Was made by and labeled North Sails. Made in Sri Lanka. I purchased a new loose footed mainsail and another 135 genoa in 2011. I only purchased the new headsail because I wanted the sails to be both the same vintage.

Again the sails were made in Sri Lanka. However, the date on the packaging was from 2009. My guess is that these overseas lofts just start producing common, popular sails when they run out of other work. It would keep the labor working and the sails will most likely sell at some point.

My only complaint with NSD is that they failed to add a C25 logo to the main, even though it was advertised as having it. The sails performed very well and I was happy with them. YMMV......

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page