Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 New Mainsail
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

stang9150
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
138 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/22/2014 :  11:18:15  Show Profile
Looking to see who is a good place to buy a standard rig main sail from? Does not have to be anything exotic, I only cruise around the st Johns river here in Jacksonville Florida. The sail is the factory bolt rope style. I would like to stay south of the 700 dollar mark.Thanks all

Edited by - on

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 08/22/2014 :  11:30:03  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
I know you are looking for a New Main, but maybe relevant: We purchased our Used Asym from this guy in [url="http://www.secondwindsails.com/"]Fort Lauderdale[/url]

From memory, the Spin, Chute, and Turtle bag was about $400 two/three years ago.

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sdpinaz
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
193 Posts

Response Posted - 08/22/2014 :  13:21:55  Show Profile
I will sell you mine. I want to get a full batten, so would be willing to sell you my 2+2 it is in really good shape.... pm me if interested
cheers

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

justinkonecny
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
33 Posts

Response Posted - 08/22/2014 :  13:25:22  Show Profile  Visit justinkonecny's Homepage
My head-sails are from North Sails, and they are holding up beautifully. They offer standard sails for the Catalina 25 (http://www.northsailsdirect.com/product/tabid/62/productid/117/sename/cat25-m-catalina-25-mainsail/default.aspx). New sail looks to be $700ish

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

cyclenski23
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
13 Posts

Response Posted - 08/22/2014 :  15:45:01  Show Profile  Visit cyclenski23's Homepage
I just got some from Dave Benjamin at Island Planet Sails, beautifully built,. super nice guys, and very good transaction.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

frog0911
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1349 Posts

Response Posted - 08/22/2014 :  19:18:40  Show Profile
Joe, were are you located in Jax? We are on Doctors Lake, east side just north of Whitey's.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

jhorner
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
26 Posts

Response Posted - 08/22/2014 :  20:00:10  Show Profile
I bought a new mainsail from Rolly Tasker this year. Under $600 I believe.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 08/23/2014 :  04:26:52  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
[url="http://www.sailrite.com/Sail-Kits-Custom-Sail-Quotes-Cruisers"]You could go the DIY approach at SailRite[/url]

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 08/23/2014 :  06:54:21  Show Profile
Dave Benjamin at Island Planet Sails, mentioned above, is a good supplier, used him before, nice guy and very satisfied with the sail. Brand was Rolly Tasker, but I thought I read that he uses someone else now. Closer to you, another good supplier is National Sail Supply in Brooksville, FL. Bought a 135 genoa from them for our C-25 several years ago and was happy with it. Brand was also Rolly Tasker. I've also used The Sail Warehouse with success, C-22 sail.
You won't go wrong with any of these.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 08/23/2014 :  10:22:26  Show Profile
You need to do what floats your boat. For me a main is so important that I buy a main that I will be happy with. I don't do a calculus of Price vs anything. The question is what main do you want to buy. You will have it at least 10 years and any price difference amortized over that long is meaningless.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 08/24/2014 :  13:12:53  Show Profile
Good point Frank, especially if you intend to and/or are able to hold onto the boat that long. Our ownership period for "Recess" was much shorter, by necessity. However, we do still own our C-22, bought 37 years ago, so your point is quite valid.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Last Fling 71
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
19 Posts

Response Posted - 08/24/2014 :  16:51:32  Show Profile
I had my mainsail cut back 12" by Shurr Sails in Pensacola, FL.
They did a great job and have been in business a long time. Their prices are competitive.
www.shurrsails.com

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

stang9150
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
138 Posts

Response Posted - 08/24/2014 :  21:28:10  Show Profile
Thanks for the advice I will look into it all. I sail out of bulls bay right across the river from you frog.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page