Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Wee bit off topic - pix websites
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/21/2014 :  09:15:28  Show Profile
My brother and my son want to set up an account on Shutterfly or Flickr (to share the pictures they took this summer while exploring CO).

Has anyone used both? Any significant preferences of one over the other?

Edited by - on

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 08/21/2014 :  09:33:54  Show Profile
Some of these photo hosting sites will shrink your pictures after a certain period of time. I know that has caused some problems for people here (totally destroys useful posts, especially archived ones that can't be changed), and it may be one of the reasons Paul implemented photo hosting here.

AFAIK, Photobucket does not shrink your pictures - thought these things are probably subject to change. And in recent months Photobucket has become more laden with videos and obnoxious advertising. I'm still using it, though.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 08/21/2014 :  10:37:33  Show Profile
I use Flickr and haven't had any ill effects but to be on the safe side go with the C-25 Forum photo site. Now, when will we be able to store videos??? For now there's YouTube.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 08/21/2014 :  10:43:46  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Voyager

...to be on the safe side go with the C-25 Forum photo site...

Not sure it's meant for non-sailing related pictures that his brother and son are looking to host.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

pfduffy
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
317 Posts

Response Posted - 08/21/2014 :  12:13:15  Show Profile
A couple of photographer friends of mine suggested Smugmug. It is NOT free, but a good value at $40/year. I think their galleries are the best looking by far and they never alter your photos.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 08/21/2014 :  16:11:54  Show Profile
Like Bruce I use Flikr without any issues but I haven't tried anybody else so I can't really compare.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 08/21/2014 :  16:22:42  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
I put all of my photos on google photos. Then share those that I want to those that I want

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 08/21/2014 :  21:34:08  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by britinusa

I put all of my photos on google photos. Then share those that I want to those that I want

Paul

What he said.

I use Picasa to edit them.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 08/22/2014 :  03:30:29  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
But... I just checked the stats for our site image deliveries.

This month we have delivered 83,000 images.

Even if 50% of that was search engines (and that's a good thing) we still had 40,000 images viewed so far this month.

We have delivered 2,040,000 images since we turned the feature on in 2012.
2370 Images (By 107 Members)
2039996 Image Views
Image Views by Month
January 2014 --> 75360
February 2014 --> 81583
March 2014 --> 91314
April 2014 --> 101457
May 2014 --> 107230
June 2014 --> 116750
July 2014 --> 101152
August 2014 --> 83818

And...

168 Albums (By 67 Members)
37888 Album Views
Album Views by Month
January 2014 --> 1044
February 2014 --> 1467
March 2014 --> 1509
April 2014 --> 1739
May 2014 --> 1694
June 2014 --> 1859
July 2014 --> 1765
August 2014 --> 1411

Finally, if you do upload images to your Association Member account, and you provide a relevant title and caption, then your images will appear when a Member searches for relevant images.

Not mine, but this pic does it for me...

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 08/22/2014 :  16:55:31  Show Profile
Not sure why but peaceful sunsets like the one above remind me of some of the The Moody Blues songs or the long instrumental ending to the Pink Floyd song "Oh Well".

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

hewebb
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
761 Posts

Response Posted - 08/23/2014 :  03:47:31  Show Profile
I tried to use this site photo system and it works great for use within this site. I found that you cannot acquire photos to show up on another site using this sites photo location. It will come up as a scull and crossbones.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 08/23/2014 :  04:37:42  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
'crossbones' True.

But you can always create an album of the pics and then share a link to that album.

I have family all over the place (literally around the world) and I send them links whenever they inquire about our sailing trips. That way the images have context.

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 08/23/2014 :  08:53:53  Show Profile
FWIW, Shutterfly hasn't shrunk my photos (yet) after a bunch (?) of years. But they took away access to the thumbnails I used in my signature. (You can still click on the boxes to see full-size, I think...) I guess I should check out Google.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 08/23/2014 :  10:30:51  Show Profile
Yep they work. Could you create three thumbnails yourself using Paint or Windows editor and post them as small picture assets on Shutterfly, then direct the small pix URL to your signature? Otherwise Flickr works fine with a yahoo account.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 08/23/2014 :  12:17:13  Show Profile
Ya, I could, although most people probably prefer I conserve the space on the threads where I say too much.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 08/23/2014 :  15:21:18  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Or you could use the Thumbnail feature of the Members uploaded pics to be your sig pic

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Lee Panza
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
465 Posts

Response Posted - 08/25/2014 :  06:54:49  Show Profile  Visit Lee Panza's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by OJ

My brother and my son want to set up an account on Shutterfly or Flickr (to share the pictures they took this summer while exploring CO).

OJ:

Since you were considerate enough to offer an (unnecessary, really) apology for posting something not "General Sailing" related, I'll take a moment before I head off to work this AM to offer my 1st hand experience with photo-sharing websites. I spent some time checking them out before choosing one over 8 years ago, and I went with Smugmug. The min. annual fee is $40., but I pay $60./yr. for a little more versatility. If you think they (or you, or the whole family) might want to share more pix in the future, I'd recommend Smugmug for the versatility of presentation, the clean look without advertising or other garbage surrounding your images, and the convenience of uploading/organizing. With digital cameras, videocams and phonecams now so ubiquitous we can share our pleasant experiences with our friends/family so easily. Now, instead of inviting them over and putting them to sleep with my 35mm slides they can click through at their own pace and linger on only the ones they want to. And they can come back (to Italy, Canada, Africa, etc) whenever they please. Oh, and Smugmug allows you to post images on forums like this, and they also host videos.

As a boatowner I think you'd agree that $60./year is essentially "insignificant" compared with the enjoyment it could yield. Hope this is helpful.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 08/25/2014 :  07:47:00  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Triple thumbnails from uploaded image... like this

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page