Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Ball park figure for 86 Catalina 25
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dave andersen
1st Mate

Member Avatar

85 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/19/2014 :  12:52:10  Show Profile
1986 fixed keel Catalina 25. Health issues force us to sell.

I'm looking for a ball park figure on the price. I know there is a broad range.

Details. Standing rigging new 2 years, 9.9 Tohatsu 4 stroke (excellent)
Almost new, high quality upholstery.
Boat is very well equipped and in very good condition over all.

Raven is located in Langley,WA on Whidbey Island.

Thanks for your advice< dave and fred

Edited by - on

Ape-X
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
662 Posts

Response Posted - 08/19/2014 :  13:31:47  Show Profile
Unfortunately fixed keels seem to be less desired. ...despite their better sailing characteristics iMHO.

Check yachtworld, craigslist, ebay and find similar condition boats. range I think tops out around $6k, with many samples including Moe going for closer to half of that. You may add a grand for condition, new rigging if you find the right buyer. G/L and sorry to hear you are forced to sell.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 08/19/2014 :  15:56:40  Show Profile
$9.5k

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 08/19/2014 :  16:34:41  Show Profile
Go high at first and see what happens. If nothing then lower the price. Keep repeating this until you have a buyer and that will be what it is worth. Its only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it and how long you are willing to wait for that person.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

awetmore
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1144 Posts

Response Posted - 08/19/2014 :  16:35:29  Show Profile
Fixed keels are worth more in WA than swing keels from what I've seen.

The 1984 Catalina 25 that I previously owned (tr/fk/dinette) with new sails (2012, 4 sails total), new motor (2011 4 stroke Tohatsu), new interior upholstery (2012), new running rigging (2012), new bottom paint (2013) sold for a number close to pastmember's guess and far above Ape-X's guess twice in the last 2 years. It did not have a furler and standing rigging was at least 10 years old. If you email directly I can give you actual prices.

Boats generally sell for a little bit more in Seattle than in other areas of the country.

Sails, accessories, and how it is rigged would set the final price.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 08/19/2014 :  18:42:02  Show Profile
With all due respect, I think Frank is a little high , but check your local competition. My guess, not knowing the WA market, would be to start at $8250 and see where any offers take you. Clean her up, declutter as much as possible, and make her the nicest boat people in that market see. You want their hearts to flutter! It works!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Akenumber
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
247 Posts

Response Posted - 08/19/2014 :  18:54:21  Show Profile
Dan mcalister tax board seems to think mine is worth a minimum of 7500.00. Kinda irritating.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 08/19/2014 :  19:08:34  Show Profile
Bought mine less than $2k! Love to know what it's worth!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 08/20/2014 :  06:06:32  Show Profile
I think Frank is up there also but I guess its the geography and supply and demand that might drive the higher prices. Around LI/Conn. area boats are plentiful and a Cat 25 will be much lower. A quick look at Craigslist for around here .
85-$4200 http://newlondon.craigslist.org/boa/4596241870.html
84 with trailer-$4200http://longisland.craigslist.org/boa/4626767525.html
86-$3900http://newlondon.craigslist.org/bod/4626932715.html

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 08/20/2014 :  09:12:53  Show Profile
I'll make this assertion: There are C-25s and there are C-25s, and I've seen examples of most of them. Folks here tend to keep well-maintained, upgraded, clean boats--it relates to their participation in a group like this. But there are thousands of C-25s that haven't benefitted from that love, and will likely cost additional $000s and man-months to bring back. The challenge is in getting potential buyers to recognize the difference... Pictures help--and cleaning up before photographing helps more! I've seen so many ads where I wonder why somebody would even take those pictures! ...lines and sails piled in the cabin, mildew in the cockpit, mast up but boom missing.........

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 08/20/2014 09:13:38
Go to Top of Page

awetmore
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1144 Posts

Response Posted - 08/20/2014 :  09:59:18  Show Profile
Exactly. Clean the boat well, take good photos, show off recent high value upgrades (new cushions, sails, running rigging, motor are all high value) and you'll get a good price.

The Catalina 25s that sell cheaply around here usually need new cushions, sails, and motor (that is $7000+ right there) and have photos of a dirty and water stained interior.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 08/21/2014 :  07:19:17  Show Profile
You could always sell the engine (depending on the year, make and model) separately from the boat to increase your yield. And replace the boat's current outboard with a clunker 2-stroke like an old Merc or Seagull.
edit: or you can post it up on the C-25 Swap Meet BB and see whether you get any takers at your price. Clean photos and a list of key features, updates & upgrades will help.

Edited by - Voyager on 08/21/2014 10:04:37
Go to Top of Page

shnool
Former Capri-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
1032 Posts

Response Posted - 08/21/2014 :  07:47:36  Show Profile  Visit shnool's Homepage
There is a huge glut of lesser quality C25s out there (sad to say). Also many polish up the broken boats, and unless you know what you are buying there doesn't look like as much a difference... this lowers the real value of your boat sadly. In our area, a good quality C25 would be only around $5, maybe $6 with a trailer.

I just dealt with this as the seller, and painful reality is that the market really stinks to sell. Now that I am starting my buying circle I'm finding all the pretty boats that are falling apart... it must be the nature of the age/price point I am dealing with I guess.

Sorry you are selling.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page