Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Spinnakers without a pole
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Heartbeat
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
161 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/11/2014 :  08:32:41  Show Profile
I recently had this question come across. I have a spinnaker pole, so I am not sure I can give a good answer. Can someone else chime in?

(paraphrasing)

I don’t have a spinnaker pole, so is it common to connect the tack to the jib shackle and use a halyard and sheet without a pole? Is this something people do? What difference does it make between a symmetrical and asymmetrical regarding the sheeting, etc and handling?

TIA

Matt

Edited by - on

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 08/11/2014 :  14:09:26  Show Profile
Symmetrical = spinnaker pole
Asymmetrical = no spinnaker pole

Hoist spinnaker with jib shackle? does the boat have a furler or hank-on foresail?

Spinnakers use smaller diameter, lighter sheet(s). Sheeting, symmetrical has two sheets (and perhaps guys,) asymmetrical has one sheet.

Handling, either takes concentration, symmetrical has more hardware to keep track of, e.g., pole.

Both can be exhilarating, hair raising and FUN!

Edited by - OJ on 08/11/2014 14:16:04
Go to Top of Page

Heartbeat
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
161 Posts

Response Posted - 08/18/2014 :  10:42:26  Show Profile
I tried it, and it worked. I should probably have put a small line from the bow to the sail. I bet I could even tack it that way... I might try that. Could be fun for cruising. (Racing I'll definitely keep the pole.)

[url=https://flic.kr/p/ovxNzi][/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/ovxNzi]20140817_174358[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/people/7488265@N07/]mattquam[/url], on Flickr

Edited by - Heartbeat on 08/18/2014 10:49:22
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 08/18/2014 :  14:03:46  Show Profile
Matt,

A bit unorthodox flying a symmetrical spinnaker without a pole - but hey . . .

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 08/19/2014 :  04:26:35  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
itll work. works much nicer when you can use the pole to pull it out to windward of the mainsail. that lets you run much deeper. but then again you use the pole racing and you already know this. did you tack it loke an asym? (let it fly forward and shrrt in on the other side.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Heartbeat
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
161 Posts

Response Posted - 08/22/2014 :  12:47:58  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by dasreboot

did you tack it loke an asym?

No, but it is on my list to try. I will add a small line to the tack to let it come up and forward some.

This is just fooling around. I have a dedicated pole, sheets and tweaks when I want to be serious.

Matt

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page