Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Problems getting engine out of water
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

krobsten
1st Mate

Member Avatar

46 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/02/2014 :  18:18:46  Show Profile  Visit krobsten's Homepage
Bought my 1984 SK Catalina 25 in 2012 literally weeks before Superstorm Sandy decided to tear some holes into her as she lay tied in a slip (long story). Me and my wife are brand new to boating and finally finished the repairs and have had her out on Long Island Sound all week with someone who's teaching us what we need to know. The problem is that the engine bracket is not strong enough to allow us to get the motor up and out of the water. She's been moored in the Housatonic River and the motor has been in the water all week. I've started it every day, but I'm hoping someone knows of a way to leverage more power to pull it up?

I can't switch out the bracket for a 3 or 4-spring job (9.9 OB motor) until I take her out for the season, so I was wondering if anyone else found a temporary workaround?

Edited by - on

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 08/02/2014 :  18:38:51  Show Profile
Hi Rob, Kristen!

Some here use a small boat block and tackle

Something similar to this, but maybe a 2:1 or 3:1 or perhaps borrow your boom vang.

One end attached to say the stern rail, the other to the motor bracket.

Starting the motor everyday may be overkill. Yeah! those 4 strokes are a handful! Good luck!

Edited by - OJ on 08/02/2014 18:55:37
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 08/02/2014 :  19:05:53  Show Profile
The easiest temporary approach is to throw a bowline around the bracket, unclip the mainsheet from the traveller, clip it to the loop and hoist. A more permanent approach is to attach a becket block to the bracket and a single block to the stern rail. Run a line from the becket to and through the stern rail block, through the bracket block and back to the cockpit for a 2:1 gain.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 08/02/2014 :  20:46:34  Show Profile
Rob, where do you keep your boat? Pootatuck, Brewers, Brown's, HBC or Breakwater Key? I'm in the neighborhood, a 3x1 block is pretty easy to rig.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 08/03/2014 :  07:14:43  Show Profile
For me it was the awkward position of leaning out UNDER the railing that makes raising the motor with a 2 spring mount difficult. I tied a loop of 3/8 line with a piece of PVC tubing for a handle around the handle of the engine mount. The loop of line enables me to reach OVER the railing and raise the motor at a much better angle. Much easier using more muscles. I will also suggest to grease everything that moves on the mount. Having pulleys or block and tackle set ups like some have baffles me. That motor for me has to come up and stowed fast because at the same time I'm raising the main and unfurling the jib,Tending the tiller and adjusting sheets. Attaching block and tackles to the railing puts the pulling force on an angle up and forward. That results in the handle of the mount being pulled on a forward angle thus locking it in the position locks and stopping you from raising the motor. Yes the real fix is the 4 spring mount.

Edited by - islander on 08/03/2014 16:46:25
Go to Top of Page

krobsten
1st Mate

Members Avatar

46 Posts

Response Posted - 08/04/2014 :  13:41:07  Show Profile  Visit krobsten's Homepage
Thank you so much for the suggestions, guys!

OJ, thanks for the visual. I'll see if I can find something online.

Dave, I'll have to look up ALL those terms to figure out the becket block option! :)

Bruce, I'm just down the river a bit off Housatonic Boat Club. If you could give advice to a newbie it would be MUCH appreciated!

Islander, thanks for the picture. I'm going out right now to see of I can rig that up and give it a shot.

Really appreciate all the help!!
Rob

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 08/04/2014 :  14:10:29  Show Profile
If your fix is temporary, don't worry about buying expensive nautical blocks. Just go to HD or Harbor Freight and get a 4:1 galvanized block and tackle. Doesn't even have to have a cleat, if you can lock the lifting arm when it's up, although that would be helpful.
Oh yeah, get blocks that will accept 3/8" line. Your hands will thank you.

Edited by - dmpilc on 08/04/2014 14:11:35
Go to Top of Page

Boomeroo
Navigator

Members Avatar

Australia
128 Posts

Response Posted - 08/04/2014 :  14:55:44  Show Profile
I had a similar problem and found islanders solution worked . The real problem was pulling forward on the lever was locking it . A slight push down on the motor and back on the lever released it and up came the motor with a pull on the rope.
Check you are unlocked...

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Boomeroo
Navigator

Members Avatar

Australia
128 Posts

Response Posted - 08/04/2014 :  14:57:24  Show Profile
I had a similar problem and found islanders solution worked . The real problem was pulling forward on the lever was locking it . A slight push down on the motor and back on the lever released it and up came the motor with a pull on the rope.
Check you are unlocked...

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Frank Law
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
159 Posts

Response Posted - 09/19/2014 :  10:31:21  Show Profile
I also attached a rope to the bracket and stand up on the seat and lift the motor up (Honda 8hp)

Frank Law
"ABOUT TIME" for sale on swap meet
1983 #3519
SWK , SR

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dlucier
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Virgin Islands (United Kingdom)
7583 Posts

Response Posted - 09/19/2014 :  13:08:07  Show Profile
Some years ago, someone posted a lifting tool they made from an ax handle. The handle had notches in it to allow it to pivot on the stern rail and it was used to lever the outboard up. Go to Google images and search on "outboard motor ax handle lifting tool" and you should see it at the top.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 09/19/2014 :  13:33:52  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Originally posted In 03/24/2006 by:
James
1983 FK/TR
Tiempo Dorado

The axe handle is very sturdy and does not mar the rail. You can use the tool to lower the motor without getting into any cramped positions which, again, keeps your back happy.

In this picture note that the tool is extended aft so the first pressure pulls the motor-bracket handle out of locked position.

Now the tool is pulled two or three indents for lifting leverage. The tool is easy to drag from indent to indent, even under heavy pressure.

Now the tool is pressed all the way down and held while the bracket handle is pulled into lock position.

Now reach down and lock the Engine mount

Hope I have the correct pics and order.

Note. This is a great example to promote Members uploading images to the Members area. They don't expire!(the images that is!)

Paul

Edited by - britinusa on 09/19/2014 13:47:24
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 09/19/2014 :  20:03:40  Show Profile
The new mount is a straight swap on the bolt pattern and the holes are above the waterline.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 09/20/2014 :  05:53:39  Show Profile
The axe handle would work when you have lots of time like at the dock but not really practical when you are transitioning from motoring to sailing. Raising sails, Deploying and setting jib lines, Manning the tiller etc. No time to rig the axe handle. For me the engine has to be killed, Pulled up and tilted in under 10 seconds.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dlucier
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Virgin Islands (United Kingdom)
7583 Posts

Response Posted - 09/20/2014 :  18:23:30  Show Profile
I, too, usually take about ten seconds to kill and lift the outboard between raising the main and unfurling the jib, but I could take as long as I wanted.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Akenumber
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
247 Posts

Response Posted - 09/21/2014 :  09:31:24  Show Profile
This is why I still love my two stroke.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Akenumber
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
247 Posts

Response Posted - 09/21/2014 :  09:32:43  Show Profile
This is why I still love my two stroke. Also I have had a broken spring in the past a didn't know

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

krobsten
1st Mate

Members Avatar

46 Posts

Response Posted - 09/21/2014 :  14:47:35  Show Profile  Visit krobsten's Homepage
Thanks for all the ideas, guys!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page