Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Sorta OT - I swallowed the hook - bought a farm.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

redviking
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
1771 Posts

Initially Posted - 07/29/2014 :  07:29:05  Show Profile
So I haven't been around here much, life has been rapidly evolving. For those who don't know me, a little history... Loved my '82 C25, sold it 7 years ago and bought a 39' C&C which had been around twice. Cruised extensively with my wife for 4.5 years on the east coast and the upper island chain. Got divorced and realized that even with massive Barient 32 electric winches and all the toys you would expect on a cruising boat, that cruising was difficult solo and that I just didn't enjoy it...

Ex wife gave me the boat, the company, the house, etc... in the divorce but then came back a year and a half later looking for 7 years of back pay for keeping the books. 200 clients annually with one or two invoices/payments each a year... BS... So I gave her the company and went out to Portland Oregon to rethink life. Florida sucks in the summer anyway.

While in Portland, I reconnected with my 6th grade crush. She lives on the farm and wanted to save it. Long story filled with busted sheds, aging tractors - I have a '52 John Deere cat like tractor for example - 13.5 acres, goats, pigs and chickens... A far cry from living on the water for the last 7 years. Boat sold in a week. I miss my girl, but the time had come. Lysistrata served us/me well and her new owners are doing a complete refit. And I was fortunate to meet many of you in our travels... Sail on!

SO, boatless, landlocked, and looking at green instead of blue... Anyone in PDX? Given the weather signature, I'll probably be looking for a pilothouse 34' something or other, BUT if anyone in PDX land wants an experienced 100 ton masters former C25 owner for anything, I'm here in beautiful Damascus Oregon... I'll crew, rig, fix, and bring beer...

Sten

Edited by - on

PZell
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
548 Posts

Response Posted - 07/29/2014 :  07:52:06  Show Profile
Cool move. Been there done that. It's very gratifying plus you can have a little boat on the side if you want. Enjoy.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 07/29/2014 :  07:57:33  Show Profile
Life does have it's twists and turns. Sorry to hear you are boatless. I hope this new turn gives you a new journey to explore. Divorce never is funny but this line got me.
quote:
Cruised extensively with my wife for 4.5 years on the east coast and the upper island chain. Got divorced
Good luck Sten.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 07/29/2014 :  08:02:31  Show Profile
I just googled Damascus, Oregon and here is what it says (I kid you not!): "Damascus is a city in Clackamas County, Oregon, United States. Incorporated in 2004, the city is located east of Happy Valley and Interstate 205 and west of Boring."

If it's east of Happy Valley and west of Boring, it sounds like it's an overall nice place to live! Best wishes to a really good guy!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 07/29/2014 :  09:25:42  Show Profile
So you would be considered a gentleman farmer?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 07/29/2014 :  11:02:43  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
Welcome to the left coast Sten. If you ever get up Seattle way, ping me and we can go for a sail & a beer.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 07/29/2014 :  11:29:46  Show Profile
Sweet.. now you can grow a garden right side up!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 07/29/2014 :  17:05:46  Show Profile
Find the lake where people sail daysailers.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

shnool
Former Capri-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
1032 Posts

Response Posted - 07/29/2014 :  17:21:40  Show Profile  Visit shnool's Homepage
Wife is a wannabe farmer, I still love the sea, we both love our animals. I like the day sailing lakes idea, is what I am doing... having a decent amount of fun all the way around. Welcome to the insanity.

Edited by - shnool on 07/29/2014 17:26:19
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 07/29/2014 :  17:54:19  Show Profile
I'm thinking you should have a CQR on that Deere, just for old times sake...

Old saying: "If you want to see God smile, make a plan." After 50+ years of sailing, including 35 with my late wife, suddenly it didn't work for my new situation, so I found a solution.

I'm happy you're liking your new chapter! None of us ever knows...

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 07/29/2014 :  18:07:12  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by shnool

Wife is a wannabe farmer, I still love the sea, we both love our animals. I like the day sailing lakes idea, is what I am doing... having a decent amount of fun all the way around. Welcome to the insanity.

I think you should paint it red.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 07/29/2014 :  18:31:37  Show Profile
The Anchor Nazi swallowed the anchor? Couple that with Franks mellowed nature and we're running out or curmudgeons. What are we going to do for color around here? Enjoy your world of new experiences.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redviking
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1771 Posts

Response Posted - 07/30/2014 :  06:38:56  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Dave5041

The Anchor Nazi swallowed the anchor? Couple that with Franks mellowed nature and we're running out or curmudgeons. What are we going to do for color around here? Enjoy your world of new experiences.

Thanks! And you all ain't getting off that easy. Repeat after me, I need more chain, I need more chain... Continue doing that until you have bought enough...

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redviking
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1771 Posts

Response Posted - 07/30/2014 :  06:42:07  Show Profile
quote:

I'd say I'm eating the most expensive eggs, chicken and pork ever produced! They are clearing all the area farms and sticking housing condo looking things that all look alike.... LOVE your Deere!

Sten

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redviking
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1771 Posts

Response Posted - 07/30/2014 :  06:43:32  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by OJ

So you would be considered a gentleman farmer?

I'm still a little salty around the edges...

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redviking
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1771 Posts

Response Posted - 07/30/2014 :  06:49:26  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by islander

Life does have it's twists and turns. Sorry to hear you are boatless. I hope this new turn gives you a new journey to explore. Divorce never is funny but this line got me.
quote:
Cruised extensively with my wife for 4.5 years on the east coast and the upper island chain. Got divorced
Good luck Sten.

Thanks! Cruising can have that effect... Still, as my ex-wife used to say, when you live on a 39 foot boat, you really have to like each other. It's damn dock life that will kill ya.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redviking
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1771 Posts

Response Posted - 07/30/2014 :  06:56:25  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Milby

I just googled Damascus, Oregon and here is what it says (I kid you not!): "Damascus is a city in Clackamas County, Oregon, United States. Incorporated in 2004, the city is located east of Happy Valley and Interstate 205 and west of Boring."

If it's east of Happy Valley and west of Boring, it sounds like it's an overall nice place to live! Best wishes to a really good guy!

Thanks! The good news is that downtown Portland is only 20 minutes away and that the Willamette river and the Columbia river are very close. I might have to get another bluewater toy and go play along the Oregon coast which is reportedly not for the faint of heart.

And, nice google work. I'll have to use that.

sten

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 07/30/2014 :  10:08:13  Show Profile
How are you going to tolerate the Portlandia mindset? It would seem you have never suffered fools who focus on the wrong details when sailing, I am under the impression Oreganians essentially think they are in a parallel universe. I want to hear about your first encounter with someone who tells you your coat is made from unsustainable fibers from exploited Central Americans... really I wish I could be there for that.

BTW I found this while looking at VA job listings:

Food Service Worker/Starbucks, NA-7408-2

Salary: $9.79 - $11.42 / Per Hour
Series & Grade: NA-7408-02/02
Location(s): Portland, Oregon
Open Period: 7/18/2014 to 8/8/2014
Announcement Number: VS-14-DMH-1170543-BU
Department: Department Of Veterans Affairs
Agency: Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration
Position Info: Full Time - Excepted Service Temporary NTE 1 year
Who May Apply: US Citizens and Status Candidates

Edited by - pastmember on 07/30/2014 10:45:49
Go to Top of Page

redviking
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1771 Posts

Response Posted - 08/03/2014 :  21:27:59  Show Profile
Aw Frank! Really? I am still wearing my wooden shoes, so I fit right in. But yes, my pig guys came today to slaughter the last two for the year and apparently the do gooders sabotaged his truck. And mink coats are wonderful. Everyone should own one. Dastardly bastards. I'm even thinking about buying a shotgun. And my suits are all Zenga's... Made from unobtainium. And yrs, my tolerance for poor seamanship is only rivaled by having to say Grande' instead of large.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redviking
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1771 Posts

Response Posted - 08/04/2014 :  04:22:00  Show Profile
Aw Frank! Really? I am still wearing my wooden shoes, so I fit right in. But yes, my pig guys came today to slaughter the last two for the year and apparently the do gooders sabotaged his truck. And mink coats are wonderful. Everyone should own one. Dastardly bastards. I'm even thinking about buying a shotgun. And my suits are all Zenga's... Made from unobtainium. And yrs, my tolerance for poor seamanship is only rivaled by having to say Grande' instead of large.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 08/04/2014 :  06:05:03  Show Profile
Sten, you're double-clicking again!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

shnool

Members Avatar

USA
1032 Posts

Response Posted - 08/04/2014 :  12:47:40  Show Profile  Visit shnool's Homepage
Rick... green tractors, red boats ;)

ASIDE: So everyone, I am sailing along on the lake, minding my own business.. crappy winds, but whatever... and this JERK buzzes right up to me in a stinkpot... Who is it? Rick!
Rick I hope to god you stuck around for the great laugh at MY expense for me launching the spinnaker solo! Got the spin halyard caught aloft between the genoa halyard and the forestay... took me a minute to figure out THAT was what was spinning the head of the spinnaker. I sorted that out, and got a nice ride back UP the lake.

Sorry for the diversion, back to your original programming.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 08/04/2014 :  19:10:00  Show Profile
quote:

...So everyone, I am sailing along on the lake, minding my own business.. crappy winds, but whatever... and this JERK buzzes right up to me in a stinkpot...

Yeah, a smelly 2 cycle stinkpot! Now you know why I don't give out my full name. I should have covered my registration numbers! lol
quote:

...Rick I hope to god you stuck around for the great laugh at MY expense for me launching the spinnaker solo! Got the spin halyard caught aloft between the genoa halyard and the forestay... took me a minute to figure out THAT was what was spinning the head of the spinnaker. I sorted that out, and got a nice ride back UP the lake...

I saw you putting up the spinnaker from across the lake (>1 mile away), but at that distance I could not tell you were having problems.

Were your racing that guy next to you? I did a good job of keeping out of your way, but I might have forced him to steer around me. (Oops!)

Winds were very fickle that day, but overall the winds were great last week. We had a great time.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

shnool

Members Avatar

USA
1032 Posts

Response Posted - 08/05/2014 :  12:44:12  Show Profile  Visit shnool's Homepage
Racing, he's ALWAYS racing me! He's a fellow club member, we spar from time to time, he sails his S2 7.9, but has roller furling, and it's setup more for cruising... so it's a good match for the Capri 25 (brings the handicapps close)... I can smoke him in light air (always)... as it pipes up it's more even.

I've been helping him and his dad get more competitve in the club, and they've been doing well lately. But I was bored that day, winds were stupid light, so I figured why not toss the spinnaker? heheheh.
I gotta get some of the pictures you all can laugh at me...

Whoops!!!

Fixed, halyard was between the genoa halyard and forestay (someone left it there!)

Ha, the fun I have.

Edited by - shnool on 08/05/2014 12:45:11
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page