Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Catalina 25 Review
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sethp001
Mainsheet C-25 Tech Editor

Member Avatar

814 Posts

Initially Posted - 07/28/2014 :  21:41:53  Show Profile
Hey everyone, I spend a lot of time looking at sailboats, reading reviews, and sailing on different models whenever I get a chance. After searching on Google, I realized that there were not very many reviews of our boats even though there's over 6,000 of them out there. So I wrote one. It's located here. http://whichsailboat.wordpress.com/2014/07/27/catalina-25-review/

What do you think? Should I change anything? Do you see any errors or inaccuracies?

Edited by - sethp001 on 07/29/2014 08:49:44

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 07/29/2014 :  05:13:50  Show Profile
Seth, Great write up and thanks for taking the time to do it! Inaccuracies? Keel bolts were not SS on the earlier models and were subject to rusting, SS bolts were used from somewhere in the mid 80's on thus eliminating the problem.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 07/29/2014 :  07:08:47  Show Profile
Very thorough, well-thought-out review. I only saw one error that I would mention. In discussing the performance characteristics of the different keels, you said, "There is disagreement among Catalina 25 owners whether the wing keel or the swing keel point to weather better." I think most people here believe both the fin and swinger point better than the wing. I raced my fin keel TR C25 for many years against both winged keels and swingers, and believe that to be true, based on my own observations. Moreover, most racing ratings rank the best overall performance of the different keels with the fin first, the swinger second, and the wing third.* There is some disagreement as to whether the swinger or fin is faster overall, but not much disagreement about the wing. That's not to say, of course, that the wing doesn't offer many fine qualities, but a high pointing angle isn't one of them. Easy launching, shoal draft and low maintenance are their better qualities.

If you would amend the text to say the following, I think most would agree it is accurate: "There is disagreement among Catalina 25 owners whether the fin keel or the swing keel point to weather better."

* Racing ratings vary somewhat because they are based on the race results that are provided to the people who assign the ratings, and, if there is an exceptionally skilled racer who is sailing a wing keel boat exceptionally well, it can skew the rating for that boat under that rating system.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sethp001

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 07/29/2014 :  09:17:17  Show Profile
Thank you Scott and Steve. I really appreciate your feedback. I've incorporated the changes you recommend into the review and republished it.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

kiko
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
69 Posts

Response Posted - 07/29/2014 :  11:59:12  Show Profile  Visit kiko's Homepage
Hey Seth, great write-up. Some minor things you may want to edit/fix:

The mast has one set of spreaders and is supported by three (two) sets of lower shrouds and one set of uppers.

Aft of that space is the ice box, roughly 5 gallons in size, and which can keep a 10lb back (bag) of ice for two days.

In the updated Catalina 25 design, the fuel is in a raised a raised (delete second mention of raised) locker that vents to the outside and has no connection to the bilge.

The anchor locker is large enough to hold an appropriately sized Danforth and plenty of rhode. (rode)

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

BCG-Woodbury
Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
396 Posts

Response Posted - 07/29/2014 :  18:17:55  Show Profile
To All -

We were recently contacted by Good Old Boat to contribute to an article they will be running in a future issue. I don't think it will run until the fall, I will let you know how it turned out when I see it.

Regards,

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sethp001

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 07/29/2014 :  20:26:30  Show Profile
Frank, thank you for your suggestions. I've incorporated them into the review and republished it.

Scott, Steve, and Frank, I've thanked you all at the bottom of the republished review as a token of my appreciation.

Edited by - sethp001 on 07/29/2014 20:27:38
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 07/30/2014 :  13:13:50  Show Profile
A few suggestions:

- I would add that Catalina Direct is an independent company not connected to Catalina Yachts.

- "very no blisters." (...what happens when I make revisions.)

- Fin keels up to the early '80s were cast iron with mild steel bolts. Starting around 1983, they were lead encased in fiberglass (to replicate both the weight and the shape of the iron keel), with stainless steel bolts.

- An extra-long (25") shaft outboard is recommended unless the boat is sailed only on a small lake.

- Outboard motor brackets are available also for people who are upgrading to a heavier 4-stroke outboard.

- The total trailering weight (boat and trailer) reported by a number of owners is over 8,000 lbs., which should be considered when comparing to the towing capacity of a particular vehicle.

- The interior wood includes teak-veneered plywood for the bulkheads.

- I'm not aware of wall-to-wall carpeting coming from the factory. I could be wrong...

- The ports in the head were not opening types in the early years. (I think opening ports appeared in the early 80s.)

- The lower, flatter cabin sole appeared starting on the 1989 model, which was after the swing keel had been removed from the line.

- I'd mention that the original stove was pressurized alcohol (which is why it scorched some curtains).

- I haven't seen or heard of a C-25 with two bolts connecting the tiller to the rudder. As far as I know, all tillers can be lifted and, for example, tied to the end-boom mainsheet to clear the cockpit.

- The C-250 was offered with water ballast and a centerboard for lighter-weight trailering, or with a lead wing keel. Some buyers preferred its more open interior and more private, enclosed head.

That's all I noticed... not much for an article of this length and detail.

Nice work!

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 07/30/2014 13:21:04
Go to Top of Page

sethp001

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 07/30/2014 :  16:30:12  Show Profile
Dave, thank you. I've incorporated your suggestions into the review. I've also thanked you there. Cheers!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 07/30/2014 :  20:44:39  Show Profile
One correction to your corrections... The C-250 was offered with water ballast or a wing (not fin) keel. They did build a very small number of fins that hardly anyone (except me) has ever seen, and are not worth mentioning.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Jan Briede
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
162 Posts

Response Posted - 07/31/2014 :  17:39:14  Show Profile
Great job Seth ... I learned something about my own boat! Wonderful.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sethp001

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 08/02/2014 :  23:49:48  Show Profile
Thank you Dave. I've corrected the corrections in the review and republished it.

Thank you Jan!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

capted
1st Mate

Members Avatar

39 Posts

Response Posted - 08/04/2014 :  13:01:00  Show Profile
I still have my original wall-to-wall carpeting in my 1983 swing keel. I'm surprised to see so many bare soles in current boats. How can you live without shag carpeting?

Ed

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Kper
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
417 Posts

Response Posted - 08/17/2014 :  05:53:47  Show Profile
Seth, I only see two possible corrections:

First one is in your Keel section; "When the keel is fully raised in its vertical position..." Shouldn't that be raised in the "horizontal" position? When the keel is vertical it is down. May just be the way I interpret that.

The second one is in your On Deck section; "Beneath the aft end of the port bench is a cockpit cooler..." Mine is on the starboard side.

Nicely done!

Edited by - Kper on 08/17/2014 05:55:02
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 08/17/2014 :  06:45:02  Show Profile
quote:
cockpit cooler.

Is that what that is? I thought it was a dry storage compartment because it has a rubber gasket. I Learn something new every day.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sethp001

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 08/27/2014 :  19:30:14  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Kper

Seth, I only see two possible corrections:

First one is in your Keel section; "When the keel is fully raised in its vertical position..." Shouldn't that be raised in the "horizontal" position? When the keel is vertical it is down. May just be the way I interpret that.

The second one is in your On Deck section; "Beneath the aft end of the port bench is a cockpit cooler..." Mine is on the starboard side.

Nicely done!

Thanks for those corrections Kyle. I've updated the review with them, and added you to the special thanks at the end. Cheers!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sethp001

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 08/27/2014 :  19:31:07  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by islander

quote:
cockpit cooler.

Is that what that is? I thought it was a dry storage compartment because it has a rubber gasket. I Learn something new every day.

Scott, I've updated the article to reflect the varied use of that compartment, including dry storage as you point out. Thank you.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

shnool
Former Capri-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
1032 Posts

Response Posted - 08/28/2014 :  03:42:33  Show Profile  Visit shnool's Homepage
Can someone please answer for me how a 4550lb boat on it's trailer weighs in at 8000lbs?
NO flipping way the trailer weighs 3400+lbs. Or does that assume the owner fills it with 2000lbs of garbage?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sethp001

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 08/28/2014 :  19:25:07  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by shnool

Can someone please answer for me how a 4550lb boat on it's trailer weighs in at 8000lbs?
NO flipping way the trailer weighs 3400+lbs. Or does that assume the owner fills it with 2000lbs of garbage?

John, if you search this forum's archives, you'll find extensive information and discussion about trailering weight. It seems most folks think it reasonable to use a high weight estimate (taking into consideration installed gear and supplies) to make sure you're not overly taxing your tow vehicle.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

shnool
Former Capri-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
1032 Posts

Response Posted - 08/29/2014 :  17:38:58  Show Profile  Visit shnool's Homepage
So this:
quote:
2000lbs of garbage?

If you do that same search, you'll note I called poppycock on that the last time it was quoted as well.

Edited by - shnool on 08/29/2014 17:39:59
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 09/13/2014 :  09:30:20  Show Profile
A very well-written and thorough review.

My C-25 fin keel trailer weighed 1,400 lbs empty. Add 4,550 lbs for the boat and 93 lbs for the motor and you have 6,043 lbs. If one fills the fresh water tank and adds a full 6 gallon fuel tank, that's another 162 lbs. Sails and whisker pole, 70 lbs. Now, we're up to 6,275 lbs. About all that's left is food, clothing, toys, and maybe an inflatable dink/small o/b. So, I would say that 8,000 lbs is extremely high, but 7,000 lbs is a more likely maximum total boat/trailer rig weight.

Edited by - dmpilc on 09/13/2014 09:31:51
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 09/13/2014 :  15:08:37  Show Profile
All I'll say is [url="http://catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=25930&SearchTerms=Trailer,weigh"]this guy[/url] put his trailer & boat on a truck scale and came up with a total (axles and tongue) of 8500#. Everyone else seems to be going on specs and guesses. I also question the meaning of Catalina's specified "weight".

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 09/14/2014 :  17:08:48  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Stinkpotter

All I'll say is [url="http://catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=25930&SearchTerms=Trailer,weigh"]this guy[/url] put his trailer & boat on a truck scale and came up with a total (axles and tongue) of 8500#. Everyone else seems to be going on specs and guesses. I also question the meaning of Catalina's specified "weight".

Unless he had a large quantity of spares, full water and holding tanks - I'm skeptical. There's a gravel yard with a scale not far from our exit. Next time I'm stopping and placing the boat/trailer on their scale - with and without the truck. If 8,500 lbs. is accurate, I'm glad I just moved up to a 3/4t and installed a 12,000 lb. weight carrying hitch.

I'll even post pix of the scale readings!

Edited by - OJ on 09/14/2014 17:11:12
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 09/15/2014 :  06:42:02  Show Profile
There is a reason Catalina 22s are weighed before their regatta. Catalina is famous for large weight differences between hulls.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page