Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Got dinged
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Initially Posted - 07/25/2014 :  17:19:31  Show Profile
As you can see below, Passage is moored on a floating dock in Milford Harbor. I always tie it up with my fenders on the starboard side, so the bow points south. My port side is exposed to the main channel and 100s of boats pass by my dock every day.
Sometime in the past few days, an older blue boat appears to have dinged my port-side rub rail. Maybe somebody was messing with their phone as they passed, or it was dark at night, but I have a definite ding on my rubrail.
I thought it could have happened when I gassed up last week, but I distinctly recall leaving my fenders on the starboard side to go for gas, so that's the side I approached the dock on.
So as we all know sh^t happens, especially in a busy harbor. To prevent mishaps taking place at night, I have located an "all night" solar light to the port-side next to the winch, to make sure the boat is visible at night.
I'm really surprised that some idjit dinged my boat. Now the hunt is on for an older blue boat with a gouge on the starboard side at about 2 ft off the water. What will I do if I do find the boat(er), confront him?

Edited by - on

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 07/25/2014 :  17:32:46  Show Profile
Are you able to file a report? If no one had the courtesy to contact you - I'd move on and repair the rub rail. Is it just the rubber or did they damage the aluminum part also?

Edited by - OJ on 07/25/2014 17:33:10
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 07/26/2014 :  06:49:41  Show Profile
My baby!!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 07/26/2014 :  10:13:15  Show Profile
OJ, the damage was to the rubber mostly, but the aluminum scooped out some of the other guy's gelcoat out. I rubbed down the rubber with some acetone - cleaned up nicely. The aluminum track was ok - I just cleaned out the blue stuff and flattened the dimple down with a plastic screwdriver handle. Glad the other boat hit the rubrail rather than the hull.
Now I'm wondering whether I should mount some fenders transverse along the port side?!?! So that idiots will bounce off instead of dinging the boat.

Dave, don't worry - Passage is fine.

I was on the big public dock a few weeks ago and as I came back from the head, I noticed a guy was gazing longingly at Passage. I gave him a few minutes to daydream then I asked him, "are you a sailor?" He said "was". He asked me "Is this a new boat?" I paused for a few seconds then said, "like new - she's an '85". He said "no way" - "Yes way" I showed him around the deck and cockpit. Coulda probably sold her right then...

Next time you find yourself with extra cycles near Milford, give me a call.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 07/26/2014 :  16:41:53  Show Profile
How about lashing one of those big blue fenders to each end of a 2 x 12. Hang over the side. Even for boats with fingers on each side the occasional transom bouncer will go by and it is luck of the draw who gets dinged.

Edited by - pastmember on 07/26/2014 16:42:52
Go to Top of Page

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 07/26/2014 :  18:37:04  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
Sorry to hear you got dinged. Can you post some pictures?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 07/26/2014 :  19:24:46  Show Profile
Well mine is blue

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page