Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 This One Hurts
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Initially Posted - 07/24/2014 :  07:02:10  Show Profile
Watch and weep...

http://www.soundingsonline.com/dispatches/292426-video-flip-flop

What do you suppose the guy with the rope thinks he's doing?

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 07/24/2014 07:04:34

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 07/24/2014 :  10:56:31  Show Profile
Sad to watch. They obviously didn't secure the boat to the trailer so it would not roll backwards. Guess they thought the weight would hold it in place.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 07/24/2014 :  11:14:56  Show Profile
It's very difficult to see, but there appears to be a light looking line running from the boat's bow cleat to the upper part of the truck's bed. The line appears to be waaaay too light for the task, and it probably broke.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 07/24/2014 :  13:19:36  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Agreed Steve.

I looked for any signs of overhead cables (although with so many sailboats in the area one would assume that's not an issue)

Also looked to see if the hitch came off the ball: couldn't tell, but don't think so.

Did not see any axle failure but blurry video.

The forepeak definitely moved upwards, clearly the incorrect trailer aftmost supports were doing nothing.

The videographer's mike did not appear to pick up any "Oh S^%^%$%^^t's" and the guy holding the bow line seemed in shock and was holding on until it was obviously way beyond his control.

Lot's of lessons learnt during that one.

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 07/24/2014 :  13:30:40  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
Wow and ouch. Wonder if the starboard rub rail area hit the curb? That'd do a lot of hard to fix damage. It's pretty close to the hull when the camera gets around there and might have rolled up onto it.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

jerlim
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1484 Posts

Response Posted - 07/24/2014 :  13:40:43  Show Profile
I think the light line to the bow is from a cable drum mounted on the top front of the truck bed frame...maybe the cable failed?

That guy is lucky the line didn't cinch up on his hand the way he had it wrapped around his fingers...

Edited by - jerlim on 07/24/2014 13:45:08
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 07/24/2014 :  16:12:07  Show Profile
It appears that a cable to a winch at the front of the truck bed failed. The description indicates a 30 ft boat, so you're looking at at least 3 tons of boat. Why didn't these guys have a line or lines running from the front of the trailer to the genoa winches as a backup to the winch cable? whenever we pulled out our C-25 on our trailer with pads, NOT rollers, we always ran a 3/8' line around the bow winch stand to the two genoa winches and had it snugged up tight.
when guys at our lake haul out a boat that size, they also run a line/strap around the keel to the front of the trailer, snugged up with a come along.

Edited by - dmpilc on 07/24/2014 16:14:02
Go to Top of Page

pfduffy
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
317 Posts

Response Posted - 07/24/2014 :  18:37:51  Show Profile
I think the camera guy said it best..."Wow."

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 07/24/2014 :  20:04:09  Show Profile
Trying to save money with a borrowed, inappropriate trailer perhaps? I have other thoughts, but they may be inappropriate.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

kc5dlo
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
71 Posts

Response Posted - 07/25/2014 :  05:50:02  Show Profile
I looked again and there certainly was a cable to the top of the bow from the truck. There was a loud pop that I would say was the cable breaking. You can see the cable still attached to the boat when the camera man moves around the truck.

Stopping and adjusting the rear pads once the boat was a little ways out of the water would have helped.

I suspect the cable broke because of the added stress as the truck was cresting the top of the ramp, changing the distance from the winch to the bow.

Sad.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 07/25/2014 :  06:54:32  Show Profile
I just replayed the video again. Amazing what you see the second or third time around. When the truck crested the top of the ramp, it pulled the bow down, pivoting on the keel and raising the boat off of the middle set of rollers/supports. So, when the cable/line snapped, she was supported only by the forward 2 support posts (pads, no rollers) and the bow stop. WOW!
And I'll revise my boat weight estimate from 3 to at least 5 tons.

Edited by - dmpilc on 07/25/2014 06:57:12
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 07/28/2014 :  05:06:40  Show Profile
Definitely a bone-headed move, but I believe it has been determined that the boat in that clip was actually being hauled to be scrapped so it was already a loss.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

justinkonecny
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
33 Posts

Response Posted - 07/29/2014 :  13:59:16  Show Profile  Visit justinkonecny's Homepage
Saw this when I was coming through the locks in Seattle this Sunday. The lady said she had an electrical failure and drifted under the bridge. Her mast got stuck as she drifted under and as the tide rose put a lot of pressure on it. But it was crazy to watch, there's a link to a video of her mast snapping in half as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2r7Mf9dqXY

Edited by - justinkonecny on 07/29/2014 13:59:58
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page