Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Swing Keel Concern
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 07/24/2014 :  11:57:35  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
once she realizes that it will not go over, she'll be fine. My kids know this, they swarm all over the boat like monkeys. The wifey, not so much. Every extra 5 degrees of heel has her grabbing for something to hold onto . Just have to get her out alot more so she gets used to it.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Kper
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
417 Posts

Response Posted - 07/24/2014 :  12:03:02  Show Profile
She enjoys sailing hard but we had our daughter on board and the mrs didn't want to scare her the first time out. Well, that and maybe the fact that we are used to 42' with 12k lbs of ballast! This one felt a lot more tender for sure.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 07/24/2014 :  19:28:39  Show Profile
More tender... Well, mostly just smaller. Now if you moved up from a Sunfish and a 17' daysailer, your perspective would be quite different. I'll make the assertion that your C-25 cannot be "capsized" in any conditions you'll face--it'll always come back up, and rarely even leave you wondering if it will. That said, I understand the primordial fear of heeling, and have helped numerous new sailors overcome it. The best way is to let them take the helm and handle the mainsheet, so they begin to understand the dynamics and the ways to respond to gusts. Another (more Draconian) move is to demonstrate that you can't get green water into the cockpit no matter how hard you try. (Not true with an unballasted Daysailer.)

If you really want to get somebody into sailing, I firmly believe they should start on a small, unballasted boat (Optimist, Sunfish, Laser, JY-15,...) to understand the dynamics at a gut-level. Then the ballasted C-25 will seem like a SHIP. It'll still be sailing, but completely devoid of the "flipping" thing. Everyone I've known who worked "up" like that has become a fanatic... Some who started "big" have never been comfortable.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 07/24/2014 :  20:50:26  Show Profile
One trick to calm the nerves for a new skipper is to adjust the angle of the cleat on the mainsheet so you have to intentionally lift way up on the mainsheet to cleat it. That does two things. It means the mainsheet spends most of the time uncleated and you hold the rope in your hand, that teaches you the forces involved and means all you have to do is let the line slip in your grip and the force lessens helping you get a feel for the rig. The other advantage is when you do cleat the mainsheet any pull on it releases it so it can run and let the main out... dumping the main and depowering the sail.
Reefing can be a bad idea if you do it poorly and end up with a baggy sail. A tight halyard and tight outhaul will flatten the main so it is less powerful. However remember that if the boat is going too slow then it will make leeway and you will lose steerage. If you have a knot meter you should try to sail in the 4 knot range so the boat acts and responds well while you try stuff an get a feel for the stability of the boat. Sailing in the 6s is the boat moving fast, under 3 and you will want to sell the boat from boredom.
15* of heel has to feel fine to you because the boat likes it there, but it will spend time over more and still be safe if awkward.
Getting a boat to sail well is tremendously satisfying, learn the equipment and rigging, make sure it is right, and trust your boat so you can focus on you the wind and the water and have a great time.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sethp001
Mainsheet C-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 07/24/2014 :  22:00:40  Show Profile
Everyone has given great advice as usual. I thought I might also relay the old adage: "When in doubt, let it out!" This of course refers to your sheets. If you or your crew get uncomfortable, easing the sheets is an immediate way to reduce heel and restore comfort.

Personally, I've come to only fly the 150 when racing. When cruising, the 110 is easier to manage, tack, control, see around, etc. Of course, my family's tolerance for discomfort may be less than your family's.

Fair winds!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sweetcraft
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
816 Posts

Response Posted - 07/29/2014 :  05:10:46  Show Profile
I agree with the comments to get comfortable with the boat. Learning on the smaller boats does give you experiencce of what happens with gusts and stronger winds. Having the sail area adjusted takes experience to do it right. Practice at the dock or in light or no wind mornings. Your crew comes first with being comfortable so practice. I have raced which helped fine tune my sailing which you can do too. Start a race and follow the lead boat and copy his sail trim. Racing makes you sail point to point which is different than just sailing where ever the wind takes you and motoring back. I have experienced 3 knock downs with my boat and never got wet. Twice with the spinacker and once with the 150. This sure gave me confidence in the boat, a SK tall rig. My gang still talks about those races.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page