Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Ready to jetison my outboard
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

davidbloodworth
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
78 Posts

Response Posted - 07/31/2014 :  00:25:21  Show Profile
My new Nissan 9.8 extra long outboard arrived today. Was not expecting it for a couple of weeks. Not I have to find time to go to the lake. Can't wait to see what it is like to have a reliable outboard!!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 07/31/2014 :  05:00:43  Show Profile
Right below the motor there are 2 bolts that connect the motor to the transom clamps. Check that they are tight before you mount the motor on the boat and check them regularly. Mine had a tendency to work loose. One fell off completely before I noticed it, fortunately caught by the trim cover. Otherwise, it was an outstanding motor. Page 46 part #42 in the attached parts book:
http://www.nissanoutboardparts.com/Parts-Catalogs/Parts%20Catalog%20MFS8A3-9.8A3%20%282011%29%20-%20%2800221051-7%29.pdf

Edited by - dmpilc on 07/31/2014 05:11:10
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 07/31/2014 :  16:52:31  Show Profile
Put the oil in it.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sethp001
Mainsheet C-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 07/31/2014 :  19:35:03  Show Profile
I just remembered the name of the guy who had the electric outboard: Barnacle Bill!

David, I see you received your motor, so I wish good luck and all the best - its an excellent model.

If anybody else is thinking about repowering with electric, I can post the link to Barnacle Bill's blog with his account of using the Torqeedo after a couple of seasons. Or if you're more adept than I, you can probably search and find it here in the forum's archives.

Edited by - sethp001 on 07/31/2014 19:37:54
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 08/01/2014 :  11:55:59  Show Profile
If you are going to lay it down for the ride to the lake, best to wait until you get there to add the oil. Eliminates the risk of laying it down on the wrong side. It will not hold a full quart, only 800 ml or about 3/4 qt. Do not overfill!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

davidbloodworth
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
78 Posts

Response Posted - 08/01/2014 :  14:47:31  Show Profile
Leaving it in the box to travel. Thanks for the info.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

davidbloodworth
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
78 Posts

Response Posted - 08/02/2014 :  09:27:04  Show Profile
Can someone close to their boat tell me how far it is from the battery location in the cabin to the motor mount? Starboard side batteries and mount.
Thanks

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 08/02/2014 :  17:29:43  Show Profile
How will you route it?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

davidbloodworth
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
78 Posts

Response Posted - 08/03/2014 :  08:31:27  Show Profile
Assuming under quarter berth. Seems like it would be the shortest distance. The cable that came with the motor won't reach to my batteries and I don't really want to move a battery.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 08/03/2014 :  10:52:27  Show Profile
Late '81s were like the '82s with the external fuel locker. If you have an external tank locker then you can mount terminals inside your dumpster area, maybe on the shelf. Run the motor wires to there and hardwire the terminal strip back to the batteries through the opening for the bilge hose or make a new hole. Putting a terminal strip there allows easy access so you can remove the OB with minimal hassle.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 08/03/2014 :  21:45:25  Show Profile
I have permanent cables from the battery switch connected to a trolling motor receptacle on the transom with a plug on the shortened motor cable. See the Pearl's Bits & Pieces album.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 08/04/2014 :  11:20:09  Show Profile
I did the trolling motor plug solution on my '89 and liked it a lot.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

andbarger
Deckhand

Members Avatar

24 Posts

Response Posted - 08/11/2014 :  10:13:35  Show Profile
I'm thinking about ditching my 9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke for a 6hp 4 stroke long shaft. The electric start is not working like it should and a new one is a few hundred dollars. In order to start the motor I need to take the cover off, spray a few shots of starting fluid in the carb and then hit the start button this can take a few attempts. Try doing that in anything over a 1' chop and it becomes a pain not to mention the motor weighs 100lb and takes a lot to lift in and out of the water. My wife is not able lift or start the motor at all, and forget about pull starting it. It takes everything I got to even get the motor to turn using the backup pull start. I sail on the West end of Lake Erie and was using a 6 hp for the 2nd half of last season when my 9.9 was is in the shop after having stalling troubles. I didn't have trouble with the 6 at all, it moved the boat just fine. We used it for about 1/2 the trip home from Catawba Island last year.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

panhead1948
Captain

Members Avatar

345 Posts

Response Posted - 08/11/2014 :  12:58:56  Show Profile
What 6hp on you looking at?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

andbarger
Deckhand

Members Avatar

24 Posts

Response Posted - 08/11/2014 :  13:35:04  Show Profile
The one I used for the last half of the last season was a 6hp Tohatsu long shaft and the owner of the motor is willing to sell it to me. I think its only 4 years old. But I would consider looking at other options.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

davidbloodworth
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
78 Posts

Response Posted - 08/18/2014 :  19:56:13  Show Profile
Installed my new outboard last weekend. I can't tell you how nice it was to push the start button and hear it start. I can't believe I waited this long. Hopefully next time I go I get to see how well it pushes my boat.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

ParaDocks
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
7 Posts

Response Posted - 08/23/2014 :  14:45:38  Show Profile
I purchased a 2014 Honda 9.9 hp xl with power thrust elec start from Cumberland Watersports in Tn. for $2900.00 today delivered and tax free.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 08/23/2014 :  18:07:47  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by ParaDocks

I purchased a 2014 Honda 9.9 hp xl with power thrust elec start from Cumberland Watersports in Tn. for $2900.00 today delivered and tax free.

Nice choice.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dlucier
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Virgin Islands (United Kingdom)
7583 Posts

Response Posted - 08/24/2014 :  07:27:20  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by ParaDocks

I purchased a 2014 Honda 9.9 hp xl with power thrust elec start from Cumberland Watersports in Tn. for $2900.00 today delivered and <u>tax free</u>.

Just because Cumberland Watersports didn't collect sales tax at purchase doesn't mean that it is tax free.

From the Colorado Dept of Revenue...

Consumer use tax must be paid by Colorado residents and businesses on purchases that did not include Colorado sales tax, such as those made over the Internet, by mail order, or by telephone. Consumer use tax is payable to the state by individuals and businesses when sales tax is due but has not been collected. Individuals and businesses have always been required to pay sales or use tax on taxable purchases from out-of-state vendors if the item is sold, leased, or delivered in Colorado for use, storage, distribution, or consumption in the state.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 08/24/2014 :  07:47:04  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
When I went to register our dink (In Florida if it's on the water and has a motor, then it has to be registered) I had to pay Florida Sales (Use) tax on the Engine and Dink as both were purchased out of state. So my registration cost over $200!!!!

But now we're 'Legal' and I have painted the Dinks # on the front port side tube and glued the current decal in place. We're taking the dink with us this weekend (labor day) if for no other reason than to putz around with the decal on display

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Arlington
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
196 Posts

Response Posted - 08/27/2014 :  22:11:29  Show Profile
David, After I stopped putting gas with ethanol in my outboards and all my small engines, I stopped having engine troubles. Now all of them start every time.

Many of the marinas on the Oklahoma side of Lake Texoma have gas without ethanol. When I was up at Catfish Bay Marina, they told me they get their ethanol free gas from a plant near Wynnewood, Oklahoma. They said there is a gas station selling it there as well. A lot of stations in Oklahoma still have ethanol free gas, not so many in Texas.

I'm at Grandpappy Point Marina, Dock 8, 4 Right. Where are you? (BTW, my Dolphin is for sale on Sailing Texas right now)
Doug

Edited by - Arlington on 08/27/2014 22:18:02
Go to Top of Page

JKBIXBY
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
38 Posts

Response Posted - 08/28/2014 :  16:37:43  Show Profile
David, I have sailed Texoma and now sail Lake Eufaula just a couple of hours north of you. Texoma can in the right wind get swells of 4 to 6 feet. I have a Nissan XL, 9.8, elect. start. Would definitely recommend extra long shaft.
When we lived in Galveston had swells so high under the Kemah bridge that my prop came out of the water on several occasions.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 08/28/2014 :  17:42:13  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Arlington

David, After I stopped putting gas with ethanol in my outboards and all my small engines, I stopped having engine troubles. Now all of them start every time.

Many of the marinas on the Oklahoma side of Lake Texoma have gas without ethanol. When I was up at Catfish Bay Marina, they told me they get their ethanol free gas from a plant near Wynnewood, Oklahoma. They said there is a gas station selling it there as well. A lot of stations in Oklahoma still have ethanol free gas, not so many in Texas.

I'm at Grandpappy Point Marina, Dock 8, 4 Right. Where are you? (BTW, my Dolphin is for sale on Sailing Texas right now)
Doug

I saw your Dolphin on ST last night. Looks almost new.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

davidbloodworth
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
78 Posts

Response Posted - 08/31/2014 :  16:45:42  Show Profile
Doug,
My boat is at cedar mills marina.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

JohnP
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

1519 Posts

Response Posted - 09/02/2014 :  11:35:05  Show Profile
When I was caught out in the advancing front of a thunderstorm that brought along 75 mph winds for 20 minutes, I was glad I had a Honda 9.9, extra long shaft outboard. I was barely able to motor off the lee shore where the wind had piled up the water over a spot that was marked as 3 feet at low tide.

That was after I had owned the boat about 9 months, and it was the first summer I had used it.

Later, I learned the techniques of anchoring in such conditions, and I even bought a second big anchor with chain and rode for that purpose! D'uh!

I learned about anchoring and lots of other important stuff from reading postings on this Forum and following up with other reading, such as Chapman's.

Having the equipment and the skills to handle the worst conditions is one of the joys of sailing on inland and coastal waters in our boats.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page